refunds

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by shell5, Nov 1, 2022.

1. shell5

shell5
    Expand Collapse

We have come across a situation that seems strange to us after traveling for many years. We made reservations at 2 different campgrounds over this past summer. The reservations were made and paid for in 1/22. In the mean time I have been diagnosed with State 4 cancer. Over a month before our reservations I called and cancelled the reservations. I I was told I have up to aa year to use this reservation. When I told them I would probably not be around for a year, they hung up. That was $153 deposit lost.
    The second place I canceled were much nicer. They informed me that they had put the money back into my account. Funny is, I have no account with those last 4 numbers. They are telling me that that is how I paid for the site. Never changedd any of my cards.
    Are campgrounds getting this greedy or should I try and give these sites to a stranger?
    Thanks

2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

for campground #2, i would show them your bank statement or reciept showing the last 4 digits and you paying for the deposit, then ask them to reciprocate and send you a copy of their reciept with the same last 4.

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

First and most important, I'm very sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis.

RV parks are run by people, some have compassion and some are plain jerks. Also sometimes they get that way because they are constantly getting beat up by the public

would it be worth to try again on the second place? maybe have your statement in hand when you talk to them. not sure how much more you can do especially if they said they did credit your account.

Mike

Paythebill and Rollin Ollens like this.
  4. shell5

shell5
    Expand Collapse

Thanks I have tried that. I have a third campground I had to notifiy and they were great. Full refund. When I told them if I am feeling OK, I would like to come and stay at a local hotel so I can visit all the great people there. If I am up to it, they will have a Park Model for us. I love those kind of campground owners. Anyone want a 3 night stay at Red Oak Campground in PA? All paid for.

mdcamping likes this.
  5. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

So sorry to hear of your medical situation. It's a shame some campground owners treat their customers in a manner in which you described. While I am unable to provide a viable solution to your financial situation, I would recommend this course of action. Post reviews of the campground on every rv forum you can find. Clearly state how you were treated by the owner. Other RV'ers who read your review will appreciate the heads up. I personally would get $153 dollars worth of satifaction from writing the review.

mdcamping likes this.
  6. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

It is unfortunate, but past behaviors have forced many RV parks to rigidly adhere to cancellation policies. That means no exceptions, period. The parks’ management doesn’t want to play judge and jury as to what constitutes a valid reason. If you have never dealt with the public you don’t have any idea of the stories people will tell to try and get around a cancellation policy.
    As for slamming the park with multiple bad reviews, is that really fair? You agreed to their policies when you made the reservation.
    Finally, if you made a deposit with a credit card modern payment systems encrypt the numbers so the park does not have access to the actual number. Are you sure that refund you are missing wasn’t applied back to the card you used?

7. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Also, first, so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I wish all the best for you.

I, too, got burned by a cancelation policy. It was "my bad" for not finding it on their website & reading it, ALWAYS, be sure you know a park's cancelation policy before making any reservations.

I agree with above that parks have, most likely, been burned by people giving all kinds of reasons (real or fabricated) to cancel to get out of paying a penalty & it is not the park personnel's job to decide the legitimacy of such reasons. They end up having to be strict with the policies they set. It is sad it has come to the few ruining it for all so that is why we, as RV'rs making reservations, have to fully know cancel policies so we go in with eyes open regarding any consequences.

Paythebill likes this.
  8. MrJolud

MrJolud
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry to hear that you have cancer(
    I hope you are still with us))