Young at Heart Senior Newbie

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by JuliaJustLooking, Mar 25, 2023.

1. JuliaJustLooking

JuliaJustLooking
    Expand Collapse

Hi, all!
    Short bio: husband & wife weighing the pros & cons of RV life as snow birds; currently living in the MidWest, originally from SW Georgia; no children, grands, pets (right now).
    We're exploring the SE and Gulf coast regions (NC - LA), not ON the coast but within reach of fresh seafood.
    We're not especially interested in the "child-friendly" amenities, but in my basic searches, I'm unsure of how to find adult only or primarily adult campgrounds without being in the clothing optional category. ;)
    Our main concerns, as I see them now, are:
    Price
    Security
    (I'm very active online):eek:

Any input is appreciated!:) Apologies if this is a common topic already asked/answered.

Thanks! Julia

Polkawagen and travelhacker like this.
  2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

We also are not especially interested in the kid friendly parks but many of the rv parks are trying to be so inclusive now. We search this site, RV Park Reviews to the areas we want to be in or around, check each park in those areas for the reviews of the things we want. Level sites, paved roads, good power and water, if that park has those and it is a non 55 plus, oh well we still go. Problem we are now finding, so many of the parks are full, no space when we want to be there.

JuliaJustLooking and Paythebill like this.
  3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I are full time RV'ers that spend the winter months mostly in southeastern Georgia and Florida. We prefer state and national park campgrounds, and rarely see many children except during the short "spring break" period. Because of the current popularity of RV'ing, we book our Georgia state park sites 13 months out and Florida state parks 11 months out. The national parks can only be booked 6 months out, sometimes making it a challenge to fit schedules together. I just completed our 2024 Florida reservations up to March today, and our Georgia reservation for April were already in place. After that we slowly start drifting north to spend the summer in upstate New York and Vermont near family.

And welcome to the forum!

JuliaJustLooking and Paythebill like this.
  4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Not sure your age group (and not asking ), but you did say "seinor", so what you may want to look for are parks designated as 55+. there are many of these parks in the warmer climates and they generally have 'adult orienented' activities such as pickleball, card games, etc., and generally only allow kids on a limited guest basis.

5. JuliaJustLooking

JuliaJustLooking
    Expand Collapse

I started reviewing and that prompted my question because I haven't seen 55+ designations yet. I need to refine my search parameters, evidently. :D
    Thanks!

6. JuliaJustLooking

JuliaJustLooking
    Expand Collapse

Thank you!

7. JuliaJustLooking

JuliaJustLooking
    Expand Collapse

Thanks!

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Filtering for 55+ is a good suggestion. That designation is found under Park Features. As a test, I did a search for 55+ parks in North Carolina and found only 3 listed, but Florida showed 156. So there are adult parks out there that aren't clothing optional. To get an even more accurate listing of the parks you would like, you can check 55+ but also X Clothing Optional which is found under Amenities. This tells the system to show 55+ parks that are NOT clothing optional. Hope this helps. Welcome to RVLife Campgrounds and please let us know if we can assist you further.

9. JuliaJustLooking

JuliaJustLooking
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much!

10. honoredjaded

honoredjaded
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for this clarification.

11. Hotrod27

Hotrod27
    Expand Collapse

for the most part i can do without kids at the resorts but do tolerate them , if there are too many , it is time to be somewhere else , we are members of a small park line that does allow younger party type people and can do without them even more , the option is to move sites or even parks , i have not been to east coast camping yet but in the southwest there are many 55+ resorts , Florida is planned for next year

12. John & Annette

John & Annette
    Expand Collapse

Re: internet. I only use the internet to check email, pay bills. Do not stream movies. So, don't use much all the time. Our experience at campgrounds that advise they have wifi is that you never know how good the campground wifi will be. Also, it is not secure. We have experienced both good and bad wifi at campgrounds. For that reason I bought a portable wifi hot spot that connects to the best cell phone network in the area [ all the major cell phone companies] and works in 137 countries. I also has the secure VPN option. Make sure you understand the data plans, as some options only offer data plans that expire at the end of the month. I bought a Solis Lite Wifi Hotspot that lets me purchase data that never expires, when needed I just buy more.

Paythebill likes this.
  13. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hello Julia and welcome to the forum

As far as security just watch for the lower rated reviews, most new reviewers stumble upon the less maintained parks that do a substandard job of enforcing rules. Beside overall low scores look for review words like party place,busy, loud or other similar language. That said doing your research homework doesn't always guarantee you a safe experience but should reduce your risk.

One additional concern is driving the North East Coast. Best to build in EXTRA travel time as Highways (especially the metro areas around NYC, DC, Boston) are often congested and one accident can cause complete gridlock. (state roads are not much better)

Just my 2 cents :)

Mike

#13 mdcamping, Apr 29, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    Paythebill likes this.