Rear Leveling Jacks Raising way Too Slow

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by GBPDAVE1, Apr 3, 2023.

1. GBPDAVE1

GBPDAVE1
    Expand Collapse

Hello - I’m a new to owning a motorhome so please go easy on me. Would someone have an idea as to why just the rear leveling jacks retract way much slower than the fronts? My rig is a Winnebago adventurer 38t with the HWH leveling system.

2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

most jacks are brought down with hydrolic pressure, and then brought up with springs. the springs in your rear jacks may be getting weak. i assume you bought your coach used (sorry if im wrong), and the previous owner may have already replaced the front springs.

cold weather can slow the jack operation, but this would be consistant throughout the system.

Paythebill likes this.
  3. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Don't know if it really would make any difference but I crawl under and wipe the shafts down with a clean rag and spray them with a lubricant. Then wipe the shafts again to keep dirt from accumulating causing issues. If the system is operating correctly, Fitzjonhfan has it right, the springs pull the shafts up when the control valve is opened..

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We have a 2011 Vista with the same levelers as you. If you check your owner's manual, I believe it will suggest that you raise and lower your jacks periodically. I'm sorry, I can't remember the exact schedule as my manual is in my coach and we are away from it right now. We full time thus use our levelers quite a bit anyway. Even so, about every two months we raise both of the fronts (at the same time) to the max then I give the shafts a good spray with WD40 (ya, I know it not a lubricant) then wipe them down. Then I do the same with the rears. FWIW my rears always retract last as well and have done so since it was new. I have always suspected that the rear jacks are quite a bit further from the controller/reservoir than the front so it takes longer, but that's only MY explanation.

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  5. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Did you find a solution for the rear leveling jacks retracting slower than the fronts.