"An Open Post To The Forum"

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Apr 15, 2023.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hello to all. This really is BankShot and he's still above ground and slowly re-cooperating from an extended absence. Mid July of last year I was Involved in a freak but very serious accident that almost cost me my right hand. I won't go into all the gory details but I spent just under 4 months in two hospitals and a rehab facility and went thru 5 surgeries totaling 27 12 hours with the longest being 13 1/2 hours to reconstruct the hand. I'm currently in a rehhab/therapy program that will hopefully bring about 70% usage back to the hand and wrist. Being right handed of course this has limited my typing skills drastically. Posting on the forum quickly became something I could no longer accomplish but I have by now slowly become somewhat ambidextrous using both index fingers to pluck away on the keyboard, making many typos and corrections along the way, I just want to thank everyone who asked questions and were concerned about my absence. I did manage to reach out to a couple of members to let them know I was still above ground. As for our future RVing plans we initially decided they were most likely going to end and we would sell "The Beast" however since I am now thankfully good to drive again we have reversed that decision and are in process of setting plans in place for a short 3 or 4 day trip of just a couple hundred miles to see how I do behind the wheel of something many times larger than me olde Ford pickemup truck. I feel pretty confident I will do just fine and so does does my co-pilot. I will end on that note as my two index fingers are pretty much done typing for today. Again thanks to everyone for the posted concerns about my well being. I won't be posting much for a while to come but I will be reading posts and responding when I can. Once an RVer, always an RVer.............:)

BankShot.......(aka Terry)

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

It's good to see you posting again, Terry! And to see that you're on the mend and seeing some daylight after your long ordeal. I'm currently in the early stages of recovering from a thankfully fairly mild stroke that has affected mostly my right side and speech, so I can fully appreciate your typing issues. Thankfully, I can still drive and do the things needed in our mobile RV life, albeit a lot slower for many things. My best wishes for your continued recovery and hopefully it will be a 100% recovery!

mdcamping, BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  3. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Terry,
    So glad your are back and on the mend.... You mentioned you have learned to use both index fingers to type. Really, that's the way I do it. That's what I thought typing was? :eek:
    Welcome back:)
    Ron

4. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

How’s the guy you punched out with that wicked right cross?. Welcome back, glad you are on the mend.

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sadly my punch missed him and my fist went into a spinning propeller on a nearby plane we were next to.................:p

BankShot..........(aka Terry)

mdcamping, NYDutch and Paythebill like this.
  6. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

Bank Shot & NY Dutch…..good to know that both of you are doing good and getting better. Recovery takes time. Wishing you all the best.

7. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I have missed your posts, but very glad to hear your getting better after such a life altering injury. But just for the record, I too use two fingers to type, so you are now like a lot of us (Big Grin).

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eventually I will gain more use from my hand but for now I am really frustrated as I pluck away..:( Thanks for your support here, it is very much appreciated............

BankShot............(aka Terry)

Rollin Ollens, NYDutch and Paythebill like this.
  9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

So glad to hear that you are on the mend, and as bad as the accident was, I am thankful it was not worse. I'm sure you will get back on the road soon.

Paythebill likes this.
  10. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Welcome back Terry! good to hear you're on the mend. We missed your entertaining posts, especially the ones where we wernt sure where the seriousness ended and the joking began

NYDutch, BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Fitz. I appreciate your post and comments. It's "babysteps" from here on but each step shows improvement......:)

BankShot.......(aka Terry)

NYDutch and Paythebill like this.
  12. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Terry,
    Hoping for the best possible recovery! What better way to recover is a trip with the Beast and maybe a evening wine toast! :cool:

Mike

13. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

NYDutch, hoping your recovery continues to improve!

You and Terry are so valuable to these boards, so please stick around both of you! :cool:

Mike

14. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Hi NY Dutch, at first I didn't understand why mdcamping was wishing you a recovery, but then I looked back at the previous posts and found I had somehow missed your message telling about your stroke. I'm glad you are improving also and still able to RV. And to all our other friends out there, stay safe so that we won't have to have any other "I'm getting better" reports.

15. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------
    Ditto Dutch, Texasrvers is spot on with what he said...............:)

Regards, Terry..........(aka BankShot)

NYDutch, mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  16. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  17. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, Tex! With the help of speech and physical therapy I'm gradually getting normal functionality back again. We're at our private site in upstate NY until mid-May, so I haven't had to manage any moves for awhile now, which is a help. I hope to be 80-90% back to normal by then.

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  18. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hang in there Dutch, we are all pulling for ya.. slow steady improvement that is the key…