De winterizing my 2022 Forest River Heritage Glen 310BH

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by Mark 354, May 1, 2023.

1. Mark 354

Mark 354
    Expand Collapse

Hi to you all,

Its our first uncorking of the trailer so to speak after its first winter with us. I had a friend help me with the winterization process and we accidentally filled the water heater with anti freeze which we sorted on the day and emptied. My issue is the bypass valves on the heater that my friend frantically turned this way and that as we tried to stop the anti freeze from going into the hot water tank. He cannot seem to recall which position they should be in for normal camping activity ! and i did not take a note of them at the start of the process. This is the position there are at now. PXL_20230302_215431189[1].jpg the taps are running parallel to the main hoses in the centre of the picture and not to the water heater.

Can anyone provide any technical assistance ?? OR should i just book it in with the local RV dealership to de winterize ?

Any advice would be most welcome

Regards

1st Year RV newbie,

Mark

mdcamping likes this.
  2. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

If the tap handles are parallel to the white braided hose then the water heater is in bypass mode. Flush out the antifreeze with the taps in this position. Turn the handles to point towards the heater to return to normal operation and to fill the heater. Hope this helps.

Mark 354, mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Fun Finders is correct above, and follow their advice first. if you hear your water heater fill with water, you already figured out one valve correctly. the next step is to turn on your water heater (gas or electric, whichever you have) and test the system. after about 10 minutes, turn on the hot water faucet nearest the water heater. if hot water continuously comes out,you are all set, but if you get no hot water, or it only is hot for a second, then one valve needs to be turned.

sorry, not alot of specifics, but it might take some experinentation. on my previous motorhome i had 3 valves, and i drew a diagram to help remember the correct positions, and i looked at it every year.

4. Mark 354

Mark 354
    Expand Collapse

Thank you i really appreciate your advice which i will go through on Friday

Paythebill likes this.