USA Texas, Tennessee, Yellowstone & San Diego Trip May 2023

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by The5goodwins, May 3, 2023.

1. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Sorry guys will add more comments when I get a bigger screen to provide a better trip report

Paythebill likes this.
  2. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Mike have a new IPhone 14Pro so trying to take pics to the next level

Paythebill likes this.
  3. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

IMG_2942.jpeg Texas Day 6 Austin to Fredericksburg. Do yourself a favour and start the day with a brisket Taco from Valentina’s
    IMG_2915.jpeg
    we followed that with a trip out to Fredericksburg via the Lyndon Johnson State Park with the Texas White House. I can tell you guys that there are plenty of RV park options out this way however many had little of no tree coverage so would be pretty warm.
    IMG_2942.jpeg
    The Texas White House is no able to be toured and fund raising is underway however it’s well worth a drop in and for a look.
    From there a run out to Fredericksburg for the day is very worthwhile however the location is a real tourist trap so it’s for window shopping only but we have found that the Austin Craft Brewery scene is amazing.
    IMG_2908.jpeg
    The beers are tasty and varied
    IMG_2911.jpeg
    the food is amazing
    IMG_2940.jpeg
    whilst there take the Museum of the Pacific War tour truly one of the best museums I’ve ever attended, and ranks with the Smithsonian and British war museum.
    IMG_2941.jpeg
    If you have the time take in the live action re enactments.

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  4. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Brisket tacos... They look amazing...something I have to try...;)

The5goodwins likes this.
  5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

It appears that ya'll are having a great time and partaking of some of that delicious Texas cuisine. Those brisket tacos are to die for, has a few myself along with a pint or nine to wash'em down. Great pics, thanks for sharing with us. Continue on mate....:D

Terry.........(aka BankShot)

The5goodwins and Paythebill like this.
  6. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

A Rueben and a few beers for dinner at Central Machine Works Craft Brewery Austin.
    IMG_2946.jpeg
    very nice and great music.
    IMG_2949.jpeg
    worth a visit
    IMG_2948.jpeg

7. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Fantastic day down to San Antonio and back via New Braunfels to the hotel.
    Up early for a drive to Buc-ee’s for coffee and breakfast. (I’m the other fat guy in black with buck teeth, and for a change wearing pants)
    IMG_2894.jpeg
    then the drive down to San Antonio with us parking in the largest shopping centre….goodbye $20…..must be a better way.

for you guys saw an number of RV parks of varied quality on the way down but thinking that location v potential cost didn’t make many of them any where as near as well positioned as those we saw around the Fredericksburg area.

anyway moving on. There is substantial work ongoing around the Alamo and if you can hold out going to, I reckon, August to September, the new work and interactive history venues will be well worth the wait.
    IMG_2954.jpeg
    currently, in all honesty, the area facing the Alamo is cheap and tourist trap like. You shouldn’t however let that give you concern as the Alamo and its associated buildings does not disappoint.
    IMG_2955.jpeg
    Spend the $10 on the audio tour and seriously consider extending to add the new gallery with its artifacts, no photos but amazing.
    IMG_2957.jpeg
    the gardens and role playing volunteers really make the experience plus the area is cool and easy to navigate with the gift shop well appointed.
    IMG_2984.jpeg
    coming up……River Walk and Historic Market Square

mdcamping, BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  8. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

After the Alamo tour try and avoid those that are trying to sell you timeshare….easy for us once told where we are from they loose interest….. walk down to the Riverwalk and I suggest the $10 per person boat tour that assists getting your bearings.
    IMG_2963.jpeg
    The guides are knowledgeable and fun plus you get a really good view of all the restaurant options.
    IMG_2965.jpeg
    The history of the area and particularly the river walk with its creation are very interesting.
    IMG_2973.jpeg
    After a meal and a good walk consider heading down to Historic Market Square. Have walked down and back at the age of 53 can I advise at 83f it was taxing to say the least.
    IMG_2968.jpeg
    If you have a vehicle consider a loop to ensure you pay the least for parking whilst not actively trying to kill yourself.

Much of the area towards Market Square is derelict but the area is spotless and there is an obvious move to revamp the area for both living and tourism.
    IMG_2969.jpeg
    the building are absolutely beautiful and the markets eclectic.

Attached Files:

mdcamping, BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  9. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Coming up…… final day in Austin, summary and on to Tennessee……but first a quick Austin Food review…… wow what a location for anyone that like beer and food. Austin and its surrounds are amazing……just a sample of our last few good days
    Pint House Brewery
    IMG_2911.jpeg
    Valentina’s South Austin
    IMG_2915.jpeg
    Central Machine Works Brewery
    IMG_2949.jpeg
    Buc-ee’s (anything from the Brisket area)
    IMG_2895.jpeg
    Hideaway Restaurant Ramada @ Austin South
    IMG_2981.jpeg

10. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Nice photos, Jason. I enjoyed the area between Fredericksburg, Waco, and San Antonio many moons ago. Great state, great people.

11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I have come to one "for sure" conclusion..............Jason does enjoy his food....:) With every post that shows the incredible edibles he and his family partake of, I find myself rushing out to my kitchen to grab something to eat. Sadly nothing I find is even close to what I just saw in his post...:oops: Keep up making us all drool Jason...:D

Terry.............(aka BankShot)

12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm so glad you enjoyed your time in Texas. You picked some winners--sights and food.

13. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Haven’t forgotten you all.. internet issues update coming….saw Grizzly 399 and her cub today in Grand Teton report to follow

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  14. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Sorry all been a bit slack and had internet issues….let’s begin with Tennessee with our arrival and after a short night at an airport hotel headed down to Lynchburg and on to Franklin.

the RV parks along the way here look excellent but again many appear to have little coverage with regard to trees. The parks are significantly different with the resorts being better established and set up.
    IMG_3018.jpeg even if you don’t drink bourbon the Jack Daniel’s Distillery is amazing and well worth the visit.
    IMG_3020.jpeg
    the tour, whilst not cheap, is well organised and executed.
    IMG_3029.jpeg
    the township of Lynchburg is excellent and look for the side street BBQ joint called Barrell House BBQ.
    IMG_3176.jpeg
    On to Nashville and that experience

BankShot and Rollin Ollens like this.
  15. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Nashville is an assault on the senses anyway you look at it.
    IMG_3047.jpeg
    our first day I was privileged to attend the National Law Enforcement Memorial Day with the Tennessee Governor and numerous law enforcement professionals from across this amazing state.
    IMG_3048.jpeg
    I was humbled by the experience where I was presented with a limited edition challenge coin only provided to a small number on that day the majority being the families of the fallen.
    IMG_3072.jpeg
    from there we booked into our near down town hotel and commenced the senses assault. The John Rich Bar makes a particular point of celebrating First responders so we were happy to spent our money there.
    IMG_3055.jpeg
    downtown at first was ridiculous but my tip is go straight to the roof top bars, less noise more seating.
    IMG_3051.jpeg
    people watching is fun too as this place is a full on country Las Vegas….. but I think nicer, politer and with better food options.
    IMG_3067.jpeg
    on to the Museums…..

mdcamping, BankShot and Rollin Ollens like this.
  16. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

I feel I have to add a few more examples off downtown Broadway Nashville as it’s amazing. I believe that it embraces all ages but the biggest issue I feel for an RV owner will be location and the lack of public transport.
    IMG_3044.jpeg
    we found that Uber was a very inexpensive method to see the city, particularly as the get on get off bus was $80usd for 2 people for a day whilst Uber was literally around $9 per trip.
    IMG_3059.jpeg
    We travelled for 4 days at least twice a day and got to around $95 but for 4 days. Food for thought.
    IMG_3071.jpeg
    anyway Marathon Motor work to the farmers markets and the gulch are all worth a visit.
    IMG_3093.jpeg
    plus there is all these things going on….

BankShot and Rollin Ollens like this.
  17. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

There are 2 Museums I particularly wanted too see and neither disappoint.
    IMG_3073.jpeg
    The Country Music Hall of Fame is big, well thought out and amazingly presented.
    IMG_3077.jpeg
    who doesn’t love Country suits….and Cadillacs…
    IMG_3074.jpeg
    As a country music fan seeing and listening to the origins, development and seeing contemporary artists displays is excellent.
    IMG_3090.jpeg
    And then there is my highlight….. The Johnny Cash Museum that had it all as well as an amazing bar right next door.
    IMG_3086.jpeg
    Elvis was the king but Johnny embodied cool for my dad and for me as a kid….
    IMG_3089.jpeg
    I can’t believe the House of Cash is no longer with us.
    IMG_3088.jpeg
    And as an amazing bonus we actually got to go and see a show at the Grand Old Opry that included Carrie Underwood.
    IMG_3102.jpeg
    Nashville is an experience but one well worth the effort.
    Next report….. Jackson Wyoming and the Grand Teton’s….

18. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

OH My God!! Jason, what an outstanding trip report. Thank you so much for sharing..

The5goodwins, mdcamping and BankShot like this.
  19. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Thanks for the update, Jason. Through your photos and commentary it shows you are having a great time.

20. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I am amazed at how well you put together your trip pictures and stories. You "missed your calling" Jason as you should have been a trip reporter and commentator for a large travel TV channel. Well done in all regards, INCREDIBLE!!! I am really looking forward to your upcoming Jackson Hole/Grand Tetons adventure. I've consumed a "few pints" in the famous Cowboy Bar when there in Jackson. Be sure to wear those boots you purchased, grab onto a "Shady Brady" hat to compliment them...:)
    More fun times ahead for The5goodwins. No doubt about that....:D

Safe travels, Terry...........(aka BankShot)