AK to TX not for sightseeing...

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Chibiloo, May 8, 2023.

1. Chibiloo

Chibiloo
    Expand Collapse

Hello all, we need to travel with RV, show dogs, and U-haul truck from Anchorage to Houston towards the end of July. We only have at most 3 weeks (hoping for 2) to make the trip. With our large load I can't imagine being able to drive more than 5 hours a day. I drove a car from Seattle to Anchorage in a week, so am not totally disillusioned about how rigorous this will be with an RV and dogs added to it.

So, question is to those who have made a similar trip already, any suggestions for fastest safe route and camp stops each night?

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Take the direct route to Edmonton, Alberta and head south from there to the Montana border. Then on Interstate 15 to east of Butte Montana, Interstate 90 to Buffalo Wyoming, Interstate 25 to Denver Colorado, Interstate 70 to Salina Kansas, Interstate 135 to Wichita Kansas, Interstate 35 and 35E to Dallas, Texas and Interstate 45 to Houston. Except for the Alaska highway section and some sections of Montana it should be fairly level highway and an easier drive.

Paythebill likes this.
  3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, just to glance at it, I put it in my GPS and came up with the same route. Interesting, i actually learned something! i thought there was only one route to Alaska, but obviously more than one.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Chibiloo

Chibiloo
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Chris, I believe we got the route down, our issue now is with locating acceptable camp spots that will take 2 vehicles and a camper (car, travel trailer, and U-Haul) plus a gaggle of dogs we will have with us at the time. Am thinking we may have to spend a lot the tripping over nighting at Walmarts, but know not all accept that type of parking. I would prefer to find spaces at camp grounds that have access to water and electrical hookups. I am just starting to research stops for this, but if you have any suggestions they are all welcomed.

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

i cant offer too many suggestions on where to stay, but if one of your stops is in or around Denver, you may have a hard time finding a spot. i cant reccomend most of the campgrounds since they are overrun with full timers. try to reserve a space in one of the state parks like Chatfield, Cherry Creek or Bear Creek. these has RV sites that are roomy, and many have full hookups.

you should have no problems finding a place along I-70 in Kansas.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

I assume you mean two to three weeks one way. It’s over 4,000 miles during peak tourist season and you will need to navigate several major cities. Depending on how many dogs a gaggle is, finding RV sites every 250 to 300 miles is going to be very hard and likely near impossible without advanced reservations. Not sure how you could manage multiple dogs in Walmart parking lots and the like. By the time you reach Colorado you will likely have 100 degree days and it will only get hotter further south. Better you than me.

Paythebill likes this.
  7. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

It would be difficult for most others on this Forum to give you the kind of advice you need since most of us have never had to drive in your shoes so to speak. Campground Reviews is your best source of information on the campgrounds. Try to get places along the way between the big cities where you stand a better chance of getting a spot. I would think long pull-throughs would suit you best. I would avoid the Walmarts as hot pavement is not the best place to park.
    All I can advise you on the campgrounds I have stopped at are Sourdough in Tok, Discovery Yukon Lodgings at White River YT, Baby Nugget at Watson Lake YT, Triple G Hideaway at Fort Nelson BC, Rotary Campground in Grande Prairie, AB, Glowing Embers near Edmonton, AB. Further south it has been over 10 years since I took the route from Montana to Kansas and I took a different route to Houston. Good luck.

Paythebill likes this.