USA Texas, Tennessee, Yellowstone & San Diego Trip May 2023

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by The5goodwins, May 3, 2023.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Wow! what pics, love them!

As Terry said I think you get an "A+" for planning!

Mike

BankShot, The5goodwins and Paythebill like this.
  2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Jason, may i ask, where did you stay and/or park in Nashville? im having a hard time figuring that out.

3. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

On to Jackson and the Grand Tetons.

We arrived at Salt Lake City and took the drive up to Lava Hot Springs to break up the journey after an early start. Lava Hot Springs has a well appointed KOA in town and a number of private parks towards Jackson.
    IMG_3116.jpeg
    whilst pleasant I would waste anything more than a stopover in the area and avoid summer due to limited room and a town with limited resources.
    IMG_3132.jpeg
    on to Jackson that is a town that is visually interesting but we felt lacked the personal touch and relaxed vibe in Texas & Tennessee.
    IMG_3123.jpeg
    We stayed at the Antler Inn which was extremely well positioned but not value for money. There are a couple of RV parks just out of town but they smelt like money to me.
    IMG_3144.jpeg
    if arriving in Spring or Summer all activities revolve around the Tetons and the snake river. On top of this cycling and mountain biking are a major activity.
    IMG_3159.jpeg
    The Tetons are around an hour away and i recommend a drive to Jenny Lake. Whilst we went out to Teton village unless you are super keen to see the Mangy Moose bar and restaurant don’t waste your time. I’ll caveat my comments with the fact that we were a couple of weeks short of the chair lifts and sky rails opening.
    IMG_3134.jpeg
    food options are varied and expensive. I recommend both Hand Fire Pizza and Snake River Brewing Co.
    IMG_3145.jpeg
    Hand fire Pizza is in the towns old theatre and the food was amazing.
    IMG_3168.jpeg
    Snake river brewing is built in an old car park and includes buffalo chilli which was simply amazing.

next post…… The Tetons as a visual feast and some of the great options around Jackson.

BankShot likes this.
  4. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Mate we were at the Clarion Downtown Nashville near the stadium it has a free downtown shuttle bus very good free breakfast is old but clean with large rooms particularly for the price.

5. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

As a teaser it would appear the Management has tentatively approved a late 2024 Washington DC to Miami drive holiday

Paythebill likes this.
  6. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Can I go? Please can I go? I'll be good....

Onemoretrail and The5goodwins like this.
  7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hmm:rolleyes:. I am predicting a possible meet up between The5goodwins and paythebill somewhere in the orange state where many tall tales will be told along with copious quantities of beer and fine foods being consumed:D. Just imagine the posts and the pictures the rest of us will be exposed to if that were to happen.......................:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Terry (aka BankShot)

The5goodwins and Paythebill like this.
  8. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

:)……..beer

The5goodwins likes this.
  9. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Of course you can @Paythebill

Paythebill likes this.
  10. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Oh Boy can't wait.....:cool:

The5goodwins likes this.
  11. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

The cost will be based on the beer and mates economy:D:D:D
    Plus you need to get your partner’s approval and then my partner’s approval technically……

maybe you and I should just go…..

Paythebill likes this.
  12. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Well there is a beer that most bars are just giving away "Bud Lite" :eek::rolleyes: no Thank you

The5goodwins likes this.
  13. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Even from an Australian I refuse to do budwoke……won’t spend a dime on it

14. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I hate to rain on you two bloke's parade but I only drink Falstaff & Rheingold beers with an occasional can of Brew 102. Anyone remember those three? Brew 102's main brewery was located at the intersection of the I-10 and Santa Ana freeways in the heart of LA. On a smoggy day you couldn't tell the plant's evap steam from the smog. But at 99 cents a 6 pack it was the cheapest beer made back then. What I wouldn't give for a can of that rotgut to be in my fridge right now. Good times indeed...:D

Drink on, Terry.......(aka Bankshot)

15. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Day 2 at the Tetons took us to both Jenny Lake and on the way back the Museum of American Wildlife Art….

The drive to Jenny lake and beyond was incredible to the point we actually got to see Grizzly 399 and her only cub. Next level amazing experience right there.
    IMG_3150.jpeg
    we took the time to take the drive out to the Mormon barns with there associated views and it did not disappoint. For you guys with e-bikes the paths are well set up and very well established. A really good tip is to ignore your GPS and look for Antelope Flats Road your GPS will try to take you elsewhere which just doesn’t work. in one sentence…..do it….it’s 15 minutes from town and we’ll worth the effort.
    GPTempDownload.jpeg
    from there we headed to Jenny Lake. At the base of the Tetons after entry to the park you arrive at the parking area and the walk through so many amazing outlooks before attending the dock.
    GPTempDownload.jpeg
    there are 2 option either the shuttle to the north side of the lake for $15 or the hour tour at $30.
    IMG_3164.jpeg
    when we were there large parts of the outlooks, particularly inspiration point weren’t available due to the snow thaw.

I can advise the $30 hour long tour is WELL worth the investment as many see wildlife including bears whilst getting an exceptional commentary regarding the Tetons and the lake.

Returning from the lake we stopped at the National Museum of Wildlife Art. You can’t help but see these amazing pieces from the road and it is well worth the stop to view the outside exhibit.
    IMG_3156.jpeg
    I must say however with the $25 entry fee you would need to be a true wildlife art lover to want to view the exhibits.
    IMG_3153.jpeg
    the cafe overlooks the Elk reserve and wasn’t open whilst we were there but I’m told is worth a light lunch for the view alone.

for a meal I recommend the Black River Brewery and their amazing Bison Chilli that blew me away….already posted it but have to do it a second time as it was so amazing…..my mates at home reckon I should have put the toilet paper in the freezer for an hour before using it
    IMG_3169.jpeg
    Next post Yellowstone day 1. I also got to give @BankShot a call to give him a tour update which was cool.
    IMG_3172.jpeg
    plus I found my next car but firstly my wife says no and secondly you can’t buy them in Australia although you lot stole the Ford Ranger running gear and chassis.

Next stop Yellowstone Day 1 it won’t disappoint

Attached Files:

mdcamping, BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  16. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Bison chilly.... yummmmmmmmmmmm... sigh..:)

mdcamping and The5goodwins like this.
  17. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

More great pictures of places visited and of course those mouth-watering edibles. Enjoyed talking with Jason by phone, he and his family are really enjoying this trip. Yellowstone should really knock his boots off. Perhaps his wife will take a picture of him wading in a "hot puddle" barefoot...:eek:

Terry.....(aka BankShot)

18. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Stupendous pics, water looks sooo clear!

Mike

19. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Sorry it has taken so long but its been busy.
    Day 1 Yellowstone.
    Yell_2.jpg
    Driving through the entrance we skirted along Yellowstone Lake which is still frozen, which is frankly amazing for such a large body of water.
    Yell_3.jpg
    We travelled to one of the parks historic hotels the Lake Yellowstone Hotel which is very very well set up and I can see how it would be a great spot in the summer season.
    YEll_1.jpeg
    We elected to enter the park from the South to enable us to view areas in the so called "Triple loops" that are recommended.
    Yell_10.jpeg
    We then made our way across Hayden Valley which is well known for its wildlife sighting, for us it was wolves and bison. They are always too quick for photos unfortunately.
    Yell_5.jpeg
    From there to a pure highlight the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone that is quite simply mind-blowing. My photos DONT do this place and justice.
    Yell_6.jpeg
    Be aware that a couple of the locations involve large hikes via zig zag trails that, combined with altitude, can wipe you out a bit.
    Yell_8.jpg
    I would recommence choose either the top of the falls or the bottom of the canyon. We went for the top of the falls that wasn't easy but worth the walk.
    Yell_9.jpeg
    I can also recommend the 3 to 4 loop plan for travelling in Yellowstone as it tends to maximise and organise your time very well.
    Yell_4.jpeg
    The drive to the Canyon is amazing and the nearby visitors centre is well appointed and has a neat cafe with basic fare. There are plenty of larger RV style parks if wanting to park and prepare your own meals.
    Yell_7.jpeg
    There was even one of these monsters in the carpark. at over $700,000USD they would want to be tough as.

BankShot likes this.
  20. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

For our time in Yellowstone we elected to stay at the Hibernation Station in West Yellowstone township. These were basically Log Cabin style accomodation that was comfortable but nothing mind-blowing.
    Yell_11.jpeg
    Remembering that accomodation is not cheap particularly as we approach the high season. I would definitely stay in these again though.
    Yell_12.jpeg
    West Yellowstone is larger than other towns and literally sits outside the Western Entrance.
    Yell_13.jpeg
    I had a walk through the adjacent RV park and found the sites substantial, the park clean and well appointed. Not sure about cost but can advise that with regard to location this one is extremely well situated.
    Yell_14.jpeg
    Can I also recommend TR's Burgers for a meal. The burgers were so good that even though we always try to go somewhere different for a meal we ended up returning as the food, local beers and service was superb.
    Yell_15.jpeg
    The venue is also one of the few with a nice outdoor area so you can enjoy the beautiful weather we had.

Next up Day 2 Yellowstone.......

Onemoretrail, BankShot and Paythebill like this.