Kitchen sink water leak

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by Carter The RVer, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Carter The RVer

Carter The RVer
    Expand Collapse

I have a Covid-era (2023) Thor Freedom Traveler and had the most interesting experience this fourth time taking it out. The bladder below the kitchen sink leaked outside the slide out and under the sink/sofa slide out area inside. See pic and video below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13qGbHC1lDQylb16zGy1VTfJ3dibmV7NE/view?usp=drivesdk
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kT2t4NP7CiehGFdPv0NeYG3TLOvhtyOS/view?usp=drivesdk

While I have some interesting experiences to share about Camping World and taking the motorhome for basic warranty work and finding that the toilet needed work - and they “forgot” to inform me and “OMG forgot to to re-connect the plumbing to the toilet.” Yeah! Never going back to Camping World for anything.

This with Thor: oops! Your entire kitchen sink plumbing line may disconnect completely during travel.

It required removing about nine screws in the slide out to put my head into the sink area plumbing to fix not only a plumbing waste line issue, but also a pinched and punctured flexible air/air conditioning duct. See pictures above.

2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Not sure what your question is? But if your asking how to get it fixed. the only option I see is finding an authorized Thor dealer.

3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your new unit is giving you problems. Sounds like it should be a warrenty issue, but i understand its annoying to have a new coach in the shop and not on the road.

4. Carter The RVer

Carter The RVer
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the responses. This is something that I fixed myself, despite the fact that it should have been covered in warranty. Bottom line: I took my motor home to Camping World for warranty work several months ago and they did “extra” work in the bathroom - disconnected the toilet and failed to reconnect it. Needless to say, I had waterworks in my RV when I took it on a camping trip. I will never take it again for warranty work.

But I will post what I learn and do on this site… so others who have had similar experiences will be able to take care of their own issues along the way.

If you remove the screws and enter the area where the waste pipes are and put them back together - and splice in rigid duct to replace the section of flexible duct that had been destroyed by shoddy workmanship - then all good, right? Takes about 6 hours of work, but the RV-er is better equipped than either Thor or Camping World.

The rigid duct splice should ideally be zip tied to a frame to prevent crimping and punctures.

#4 Carter The RVer, Jun 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  5. Richard_6442026d97d24

Richard_6442026d97d24
    Expand Collapse

I can sympathize. Our 2015 Coachmen Pursuit has a kitchen sink within its huge slideout, and last year I noticed a slight drain leak. I immediately realized the sink was in the slideout and thought “oh, this is going to be fun…”
    This spring I “got in there” (NOT easy at all) and discovered that although Coachmen install a beefy steel L-bracket to hold the end of the flex coil drain pipe that connects to the grey water tank - and also to prevent the slideout from going too far and contacting this pipe joint - they had installed this plate 1” too far into the coach (as well as the grey tank 1” too far to port). And so every time we put the slide out over 6-7 years, it stressed that joint until it finally ripped out 2 of the 3 screws holding the plate to the floor - allowing it to bend over. Which still would’ve been ok, except that the plumbing elbow feeding the grey water tank was never cemented to the tank as it should have been, so it popped right off as soon as that bracket shifted up and out…. Luckily I was able to adjust to work better without having to shift the grey tank (a nogo because it also has solidly attached drain lines from the bath sink and shower).
    Design was fine but quality control on the installation/assembly was terrible. Same as several other problems we’ve had with this unit. One of the least serious but most annoying was that they put the hole & spinout cover that allows passage of the sewer drain hose NOT below the drain but 10” to the left.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

My present 2017 Jayco that I purchased in 2021 was never road used or used at all I believe. Noticed on my first local trip in spring of 22 that 2 of the 4 trailer brakes were ice cold. After waiting over a month for my scheduled service, all I got was one green tech available to work on the trailer. After the service problem was worse :mad: Took trailer back again this time I got a more experienced tech as he finally got the problem resolved costing me even more $$$ :mad: This was the first time I had used this dealer/rv service, my mistake never going back.

Over the years I have had good experiences with various Rv service repair shops so I guess I was due..

Going forward I found a "Rv service only" that I now use as they are a family owned business.

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  7. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

sorry, no specific info, but if you can roughly locate the leak, maybe you can access it by cutting out some of the subfloor from a compartment below. i did that on my motorhome to add a cleanout on my gray water drain. a sawzall is your friend.

you may also access it by detaching the kitchen sink cabinet, and supporting the countertop with 2x4s.

good luck