6000 trailer

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by RVL595246, Jun 8, 2023.

1. RVL595246

RVL595246
    Expand Collapse

I got the motorhome in New Jersey and I didn’t buy the trailer yet it’s a 6000 lb car carrier trailer in North Carolina
    Does anybody know tongue weight without these two vehicles being present my motorhome 20,000 pound limit 5000lb on the hitch? thanks

2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Tongue weight is dependant on how you balance the load. The only way to know your actual tongue weight is to weigh the coach without the trailer, and then with the trailer attached and compare the weights on the rear wheels.

3. RVL595246

RVL595246
    Expand Collapse

Thanks so there no way of telling .
    Unless buy trailer and hope it don’t swivel

4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Heres some generalizations: The car may weigh around 3500lbs, and the trailer may weigh around 1500lbs, so, in theroy, you should be ok since some of the trailer and car weight will be on the trailer axles.

I still say, you should get the coach and trailer weighed for several reasons.

1) you need to know the weight of the coach to be able to know how much to inflate your tires.

2) when weighing the coach and trailer, you can determine how much weight you actually have on the tongue. this may allow you to balance the trailer load better. maybe backing the car on the trailer might be better than putting it on engine first, or maybe leaving some space at the front of the trailer will balance it better.

3) Some states require a special license if your combined load (trailer and RV) go over a certain weight.

4) depending on the weight of the trailer and car, you may need special anti-sway devices.

This is why many RVers tow their cars all 4 wheels down. you may want to check to see if your car qualifies.

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I have taken my Travel Trailer & Truck to the Cat Scale a few times to confirm I am with in the proper towing guidelines, including tongue weight . I also use a sherline tongue scale. IMO

RVL595246: Your profile & password should work over at https://www.irv2.com/forums as they are also part of RV Life. The forum has a larger exposure if you don't get the answers your looking for here

Good Luck
    Mike

#5 mdcamping, Jun 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    Paythebill likes this.