New To Camping Where To Get Gear?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BigCampin', May 31, 2007.

1. BigCampin'

BigCampin'
    Expand Collapse

I'm new to rv camping my parent's got an rv and since i'm the only computer literate guy in the family they asked me to find some good places to get camping gear online. i'm a big fan of forums because they know the best places to get stuff. so my question is this where do you order your camping gear from?

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Hi BigCampin',

Welcome to camping and to this forum. There was a small discussion on this topic a few months ago that may give you the information you need. Look on page 3 of the general chat forum. The posts were around Oct-Nov 2006 and were titled "Where to buy supplies" (I think). Hope this helps.

3. BigCampin'

BigCampin'
    Expand Collapse

Awesome thanks, i'm gonna check out wallmart and target. It seems like the online stores are somewhat expensive but their selection is pretty good. The two sites that i found to be really cheap were www.rei.com and www.mycampingcenter.com but again shipping on some of the larger stuff can get pretty expensive.

4. EastPAcamper

EastPAcamper
    Expand Collapse

Hi and welcome to the site,

I guess first of all is the type of items you are looking for, and how bad you need it. I personally have used every avenue out there for camping/RV stuff. I stop at yard sales, flea markets, Wal-mart, RV stores, and E-bay.
    I found that if you know what you are looking for , I usually check out the RV store to see different models and features of different stuff. Then I check E-bay prices and compare to the RV store. Then I decide if I "really" need it, is it worth it , will it get used everytime we camp. If I need it now and can't wait or play bidding games, I go back to the RV store and buy it. I actually have found some sweet deals in the "clearence" section of Wal-mart and Target. Be careful on E-bay , and read the descriptions carefully, so you understand what they are selling to you may be used or missing stuff.(As one who has been burned.......once........lol)
    I made a list of all the things we needed or wanted when we bought the camper , and been checking them off for the last 4 or 5 years.
    I hope this we helpful and if you have any questions , please feel free to ask.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

I agree, Ebay can be a great site for all kinds of things. As a buyer, the most important thing you can do (after carefully reading the item description) is check the seller's feedback, not just their scores but go see what previous buyers had to say. And always, always, always use Paypal to pay. You are protected by not having to give a seller any personal banking info and also, Paypal gives you buyer protection up to $2000. If a seller doesn't accept Paypal, then I stay away.

6. Old_Town

Old_Town
    Expand Collapse

I always shop at www.campmor.com. Campmor has been around for years and they have a great website and cheap shipping.

Good Luck,
    Ty

7. mstarzz

mstarzz
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BigCampin' @ May 31 2007, 09:58 AM) [snapback]7179[/snapback]

I'm new to rv camping my parent's got an rv and since i'm the only computer literate guy in the family they asked me to find some good places to get camping gear online. i'm a big fan of forums because they know the best places to get stuff. so my question is this where do you order your camping gear from?

We love campingworld.com. We are lucky enough to have a store near us but if you don't you can order online after browsing their web site or they do supply a 800# at the top right hand corner of their page where you can call in your order. Great store and they have literally have everything! Infact, we were there this past weekend, fun place to go and just look around at all the camping stuff. Let me know if this was helpful but posting again to this forum