Need Advice

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by wolfden, Jul 16, 2007.

1. wolfden

wolfden
    Expand Collapse

Hi Everyone
    I am a newbie here and would appreciate your advice as to the best options for family to Camp and do day trips to NYC (I am from Ontario). I have seen comments regarding liberty harbor but can't find any real info on it. Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

Hi Wolfden - welcome to the forum. We did the NYC trip (from ON as well) a couple of years ago and stayed at the Newburgh / NYC North KOA in Platekill. We liked the campground (although it has mixed reviews on this site), however, the main reason we stayed there was because it offers a tour right from the campground to NYC. It was a reasonable price (nothing with regards to NYC is cheap) and the tour was great - hitting everything you'd want - up the Empire State Building, a trip on the ferry to the Statue of Liberty, a drive past all the famous NYC spots - i.e., Central Park, etc. - you can purchase a "return trip" ticket the next day for about $30 - which gets you the ride there and back, and then you have the day to yourself to tour around again (or shop!!!!) - we didn't have time to do that, but wish we had. It was a great tour, and the highlight of our trip that summer. The campground is also near Montgomery, NY, which is home to "Orange County Choppers" - so you could check out their shop, and their store full of OCC merchandise and a few of their bikes on display. Good luck planning your trip - and hope you have fun!

3. tilleytj

tilleytj
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(wolfden @ Jul 16 2007, 04:13 PM) [snapback]7692[/snapback]

Hi Everyone
    I am a newbie here and would appreciate your advice as to the best options for family to Camp and do day trips to NYC (I am from Ontario). I have seen comments regarding liberty harbor but can't find any real info on it. Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Hi Wolfden, I live in NJ. Have never been to Liberty Harbor but understand it is a parking lot with sites. You can log onto the NJ Camping site for limited info on the CG. I also seem to recall they do not have sewer (only a dump station). They are the closest CG to NYC. Can't beat being right across the river and the view. They may even have a water taxi ( the NY Waterway) near the CG to get you into the city. Call and ask. Any other CG in Jersey will be at least one hour away. Good Luck. Hope you have a nice visit to NYC!

4. wolfden

wolfden
    Expand Collapse

Thank you both for your replies. I have since read that Liberty only has 15 ft between sites and with slides/awnings it will be too close. I am going to check out the KOA and a couple of others.

Cheers :)