Problems With The Rver's Friend

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Beastdriver, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

We recently purchased a book entitled "The RVer's Friend" which purported to show Diesel Locations in North America. We have found that, in more than half the instances, this book is not accurate, does not list towns and citites that have major diesel stops, and often misses even the big diesel stops such as Flying J, Truckstops of America, Loves, Petro, and so forth. A book like this that is so inaccurate is not only useless, it can really foul up trip planning. I am interested. Have others had this same experience? Is there a better, more useful book out there?

2. wmah

wmah
    Expand Collapse

I'd imagine the book lists places that may have paid to be in the book or it is just full of places that people have been to and sent the info to the writer of the book. I personaly use microsoft street and trips 2007 on the notebook. And even the program doesn't list everything and one thing it does list which I discovered last week hasn't even been there for 5 years. It does list a bunch of resturants and landmarks and other places such as some fuel stations but it too doesn't list everything. It does list a bunch of campgrounds and hotelswhich is a big plus about it for traveling. But there are a bunch of small privately owed campgrounds that may not be listed.

3. Travelin Rose

Travelin Rose
    Expand Collapse

We have been using The Next Exit and don't know how we ever got along without it, although it is useful only when traveling on the Interstate highways. It seems to list all the major truck stops, but sometimes misses the local ones. As we travel down the highway, I make notations in the book about the missing ones. Also, I note RV parks we can see from the highway that look like they would make a good overnight stop. Then next time we travel that highway, we will have a little more information. All listings that are RV accessible are printed in red ink.

We were at The Rally in Redmond OR and saw another "Exit Book" printed by another publisher. It looked similar, but don't know how it compared to The Next Exit.

4. jperera

jperera
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Jul 22 2007, 04:48 PM) [snapback]7765[/snapback]

We recently purchased a book entitled "The RVer's Friend" which purported to show Diesel Locations in North America. We have found that, in more than half the instances, this book is not accurate, does not list towns and citites that have major diesel stops, and often misses even the big diesel stops such as Flying J, Truckstops of America, Loves, Petro, and so forth. A book like this that is so inaccurate is not only useless, it can really foul up trip planning. I am interested. Have others had this same experience? Is there a better, more useful book out there?

We also use The Next Exit. I have found it very useful. Like Travlin Rose I make additional notations, especially if there is a place to avoid the next time. It also lists rest areas and identifies those with dumps. We have found that useful if we have been dry camping.

We traveled with friends that had "The RVer's Friend" and I thought I had better information than they did using my guide.

5. RonRo

RonRo
    Expand Collapse

Hi just wanted to give you input on the exit directories available. I was soooo aggravated at the books available--newsprint all over my hands, can't highlight, accuracy, etc...We bought the 07 and 08 EXIT NOW and have been extremely happy with it.
    Check out www.milebymileplus.com. The 2008 Edition is great--includes all low clearances, color coded for fueling, large vehicle access campgrounds, steep grades, pet friendly, medical and much more.
    Am really enjoying the site
    Happy Travels

6. P G Winkel

P G Winkel
    Expand Collapse

We have the "truckers book" and found it to be very useful for choosing fuel stops, also lists the size of the truck stop, and other useful information. We also use Streets and Tips for planning trip, check for campgrounds, the use Woodalls and this website for information regarding info on specific campgrounds on our route. The Truckers Book is set up via highways which can be a pain when planning a trip. When we update for the next year will look at purchasing Next Exit and/or Exit Now.

7. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We also use the "The Next Exit" and found it to work very well. We also print out fuel sheet on Flying-J before we start travels. It list all fuel stops by state.

8. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Beastdriver> There is something positive to be said for all the suggestions in this thread, but if one wants to minimize the stack of reference material then I have two suggestions:

1- Purchase the FMCA Atlas. It has excellent maps. Those maps depict the location of Wal-Marts, Flying J, Cracker Barrel resturants, and most campgrounds.

2- Go online to ONLY two truck stop websites..TA and Flying J. Get a print friendly version of their current truck stop locations. You really don't have to do more than those two. Competitors will flock to their location.

You don't need to have an Exit directory of resturants. If there is a Wal-Mart then there is a suitable resturant across the street. Have you noticed that in larger towns, there is also a Lowe's next to Wal-Mart?

9. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

I use Delorme street atlas 2008 and have downloaded an overlay file that can be found on the DOAI website by Bob Cook. Lists all flying J's country wide, rest stops, TA's, Loves, Walmart, Sams, No over night at Walmarts, low clearance etc, etc,etc. Great tool

Gary

10. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

If fuel is what you may be looking for I'd suggest this website.

http://gasprices.mapquest.com/index.jsp?cid=4_gasprices_mp

I, too, use Microsoft Streets and Trips.

The 2008 version requires "activation" so can only be used on one computer.

It is possible to copy the map data from 2008 into the 2007 program. The only ability lost is that of construction data--but that was always far out of date in my experience.

11. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gsbogart @ Jun 8 2008, 07:46 PM) [snapback]11756[/snapback]

I use Delorme street atlas 2008 and have downloaded an overlay file that can be found on the DOAI website by Bob Cook. Lists all flying J's country wide, rest stops, TA's, Loves, Walmart, Sams, No over night at Walmarts, low clearance etc, etc,etc. Great tool

Gary

A few years ago, I downloaded several files from DOAI--but had not thought about it in a long time. A couple of weeks ago, I thought about it, but had not checked it out. With your reminder, I just went to the website. WOW!!! I cannot believe how much stuff is there.

Now, to figure out how to import and use it!

Thanks for the reminder.

http://www.jerry-jurhee.blogspot.com/

12. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

If you *really* want lots of POI (points of interest) then try this site!

http://www.poi-factory.com/

QUOTE(Jurhee @ Jun 13 2008, 10:37 PM) [snapback]11841[/snapback]

A few years ago, I downloaded several files from DOAI--but had not thought about it in a long time. A couple of weeks ago, I thought about it, but had not checked it out. With your reminder, I just went to the website. WOW!!! I cannot believe how much stuff is there.

Now, to figure out how to import and use it!

Thanks for the reminder.

http://www.jerry-jurhee.blogspot.com/

13. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jun 14 2008, 12:46 AM) [snapback]11847[/snapback]

Hi,

If you *really* want lots of POI (points of interest) then try this site!

http://www.poi-factory.com/

Thanks, I will check it out. I don't want a bunch, just the ones that I would use. Probably only get Elks, Passport America and maybe any big rig sites.

Recently I started putting sites from the "Big Rigs Book" on a map. I have several states if anybody wants it. Of course, they would have to tell me how to send it! :unsure:

Jurhee