Rv Park Reviews Suggestions

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Burp2, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Burp2

Burp2
    Expand Collapse

I just have two suggestions for the site. I do love it and it gives the RVer a very useful resource. First; add a link to a review for all reviews for this poster. This would help us find reviews for parks that people of common interest have visited. It may also help us weed out the cranks who consistently slam all parks or always give rave reviews. Second; give a method of listing all reviews I have posted. This way I will not duplicate a post or maybe I could give an updated review after a park has changed in some way.

2. AceFace

AceFace
    Expand Collapse

>>First; add a link to a review for all reviews for this poster.

3. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

There are a lot of things that could be done to make your life easier. What one must remember is that some one has to do these thing to get them ready to read. Every post must be proof read and often corrected. This time of year, it is not unusual to have 1500 posts waiting to be proof read.
    If you look over the forum you will see there are several that are wondering why their posts are not showing yet. No one is getting rich on this site, it is all volunteer workers.

4. Burp2

Burp2
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Big Ben @ Sep 4 2007, 08:08 PM) [snapback]8239[/snapback]

There are a lot of things that could be done to make your life easier. What one must remember is that some one has to do these thing to get them ready to read. Every post must be proof read and often corrected. This time of year, it is not unusual to have 1500 posts waiting to be proof read.
    If you look over the forum you will see there are several that are wondering why their posts are not showing yet. No one is getting rich on this site, it is all volunteer workers.

No criticism was intended. :unsure: I think the site is well done and very useful. Revenue for this site depends on the number of hits (Google ads). Minor adjustments may attract more users.

I am very thankful for the volunteers, they help keep many sites up and running. I also understand the need to review postings before they appear on the site. MSDN Auto section does not review their postings and the reviews on the cars have become useless because of salesmen getting on and posting info right out of the brochures.

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I like the "comprehensive questions," it helps me to really be observant about a park and address my comments accordingly. I try to be balanced, stating good things and bad things.

I, too, would like the ability to "sign" my reviews, and to "search for all reviews by this reviewer" in case I find a review that I think is well written, so I can see where else this person has been.

JJ

6. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Big Ben @ Sep 4 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]8239[/snapback]

And thank you for doing the work!

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Love this site, quite comprehensive!

I would suggest a way to "hide" the posts we already read. That may be too much of a programming effort though. When someone adds a post to a thread, I don't like having to weed through all the posts I read before. I know you can "only view new posts" but when you hit a thread with "new posts" you still have to wade through the ones you have read before. Kind of a pain.

But good site! I post reviews at two other sites, but this site is comprehensive and forces me to be "observant" about a lot of things I normally don't care about (but someone else might). This site helps me improve my reviews. If you see a lengthy and wordy review on here, it's probably mine. I have posted reviews for WA and OR parks.

JJ

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

If I understand you correctly when you click on a forum topic you do not like having to scroll through all the old posts in order to read the most recent one. There is an easy solution to this. Across from the topic names on the right side of the page is a column titled "Last Action." In that column click on the words "Last post by:" Be sure you click on those words and not the poster's name and you will be taken to the last post for that topic. If this is not what you were talking about then I apologize for taking up your time. I was just trying to help.

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Sep 24 2007, 09:19 PM) [snapback]8449[/snapback]

If I understand you correctly when you click on a forum topic you do not like having to scroll through all the old posts in order to read the most recent one. There is an easy solution to this. Across from the topic names on the right side of the page is a column titled "Last Action." In that column click on the words "Last post by:" Be sure you click on those words and not the poster's name and you will be taken to the last post for that topic. If this is not what you were talking about then I apologize for taking up your time. I was just trying to help.

Thanks, Texasrvers, I'll try that! That will probably help!

What's with the "sorry for taking up time?" I was wondering what you were "apologizing" for. No apology needed for a suggestion......

JJ

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

"What's with the "sorry for taking up time?" I was wondering what you were "apologizing" for. No apology needed for a suggestion......"

Well, I wasn't sure I understood what you meant, and I didn't want to take up your time telling you something that you already knew. Hope the suggestion works.

11. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

I think having a link to read all of a poster's reviews is a wonderful idea. I'm no website expert, but it will probably just take some programming to do it, and no further data input or anything.

The value of a review is directly proportional to the amount of information the reader has. I can get a pretty good feel from a single review, and it definitely helps to see what other people say about the same place.

But if I could look at all of a person's reviews, that would give me a very good idea of whether he/she and I have the same sort of values and preferences. Everybody has a bad day occasionally, but wouldn't it be interesting to know that a particular reviewer is almost never satisfied and that he/she is usually complaining about the weather or the lack of landscaping in Albuquerque or too many trees in Michigan.

As for the OP's second suggestion, having a link to all reviews by a poster would take care of that, as long as you can remember one place you've written a review for. Not as slick as a "view my reviews," but not any work on the website's part, either.

12. jperera

jperera
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for that tip. I didn't realize you could click on "Last post by". Saves a few clicks and scrolling all the way down the page.

13. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Want to thank you, I guess you can teach an old dog a new trick. I have been using this site for over four years, two of which We have been a member, and did not know of the "last post by" feature, or if I did, I do not remember. Thanks again for bring it to our attention.

14. Chay

Chay
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jperera @ Sep 26 2007, 08:08 AM) [snapback]8461[/snapback]

Thanks for that tip. I didn't realize you could click on "Last post by". Saves a few clicks and scrolling all the way down the page.

Yes, clicking on "last post by" gives you the last post in that topic. But it doesn't give you the last one you read, which could be several previous to the last one posted. One forum I frequent has a "go to last unread" button -- when you click that, it takes you to where you left off, NOT the last post in that topic. Then you don't miss anything! No scrolling or guessing! Actually, I'm sure it's the same forum provider program as this forum, as it looks and works almost exactly the same, but the forum owners/admins here are apparently not using all the options available. Or they may not be available with this version ... I don't know ...

I'm a new visitor/poster, so I hope I don't sound critical ... this appears to be a great forum and good information, and as with any of the forums I frequent, I surely appreciate all the (volunteer) work done by the mods and admins!

Thank you all!

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Chay is absolutely right. Clicking on "last post by" gives you the last post in that topic, but not necessarily the last one you read. I should have mentioned that. If you are on this forum as much as I am there are usually only 1-2 new posts per topic that I haven't read. I just scroll back until I reach the the first one I haven't read and then go forward from there. However, it would be nice to go to the last one you've read.

Butch, This old dog had the same experience as you. I had used this website for many months but did not know about how to search for campgrounds within a certain mileage of a particular town. I posted the comment that it would be nice to be able to do this and someone explained how to do it. So I guess I wasn't too old to learn a new trick either.

16. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I think it's kind of neat that you include statistics on the states when one clicks on a state, but you are somewhat behind for Washington State. The Governor is Christine Gregoire. The last election turned out to be a "Florida thing" where Dino Rossi supposedly won, then the votes were recounted and Christine Gregoire was determined the winner. You are still showing the previous governor.

JJ

17. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

You might want to notify the webmaster of the change in Governors using the "contact us" on the very bottom of each page. This will surely bring the change to their attention.

18. Webmaster

Webmaster
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Butch @ Oct 2 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]8533[/snapback]

JJ,

You might want to notify the webmaster of the change in Governors using the "contact us" on the very bottom of each page. This will surely bring the change to their attention.

I've fixed this one, and it's funny she took office prior to my first putting the facts online...