Flying J Fuel Card

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by RLM, Sep 6, 2007.

1. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Possession of a free Flying J fuel card will get you a 1 cent per gallon dicount on fuel purchases at all of their truck stops. In addition to the cent/gallon discount, diesel users will get the cash price for diesel even if they use a credit card. But here is the catch. In order to get the cash only discount for diesel fuel purchases, you must use the 18 wheel trucker side of the refueling facilites. If you use the RV only pumps, you will pay the normal non discounted price if you use a credit card.

Those who have gas only rigs lose out on any "cash only' discounts.

2. Wadcutter

Wadcutter
    Expand Collapse

We use Flying J when ever we can with the Flying J card and a Discover card. We've never run into the situation you describe. We've always gotten the cash discount price in the RV island.

3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wadcutter @ Sep 7 2007, 05:05 AM) [snapback]8257[/snapback]

We use Flying J when ever we can with the Flying J card and a Discover card. We've never run into the situation you describe. We've always gotten the cash discount price in the RV island.

Wadcutter> I just came off a 21 state trip where I frequently used Flying J. I had to use the RV islands a few times due to heavy truck traffic, but in each case did not get the cash price. I asked the local managers about the issue and they confirmed that they do not give a cash price at the RV islands. I also called the corporate office and they confirmed it. Perhaps it's a new procedure or some locations do business differently.

4. Wadcutter

Wadcutter
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Sep 10 2007, 01:32 PM) [snapback]8282[/snapback]

Wadcutter> I just came off a 21 state trip where I frequently used Flying J. I had to use the RV islands a few times due to heavy truck traffic, but in each case did not get the cash price. I asked the local managers about the issue and they confirmed that they do not give a cash price at the RV islands. I also called the corporate office and they confirmed it. Perhaps it's a new procedure or some locations do business differently.

We just returned from a 3500 mile round trip to FL. It was never an issue at any Flying J we used which were every chance we got. We used the RV island at every Flying J and got the cash price with the Flying J card at every location.
    Don't know what to tell you. It worked for us.

5. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Notwithstanding the cash price issue, which in reading the replies to my original post, appear to be non-standard, I also have other issues with the RV islands. They don't easily accomandate larger RVs with towed vehicles. They usually exit into the area where most of the auto traffic congretes. That's a safety hazard.

I've also found that many of the fuel desk employees are rude regardless of the geographical location. Perhaps I've experienced them on a bad hair day, but rude is still rude.

I'd like to think that any comments we collectively make that benefit the RV community are helpful whether or not we agree with one another. I'm not down on Flying J, but they do have deficiencies. They are a good place to refuel, but it doesn't mean that they don't need alot of improvements.

6. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

You all might look into getting a Hess card. It gives you a 5% rebate on all fuel purchased at their stations. 10% for the first 60 days. That is a great discount

7. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Hess is fine if your in Florida but I don't think it is much good when traveling.

8. Wadcutter

Wadcutter
    Expand Collapse

9. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

10. Holiday Rambling

Holiday Rambling
    Expand Collapse

pianotuna, I think you misunderstood. The Hess stations are numbered to be in 16 states not Flying J.

11. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

I ran into a couple Flying Js that would not give me a cash price with the card. Beeyween that and them not wanting to except Visa, i have been stopping else where.