2019 Esk MTB Racing & Bush Camping

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by The5goodwins, Jan 17, 2020.

1. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

So decided to do 2 reports at once as I haven't posted for a while.

My youngest son and I love Mountain bikes so have started entering races....that is easy ones.
    Esk_1.jpg
    2 swags and 2 bikes on the roof, fridge and food inside the beast

Headed out bush to Esk and surrounds for a 15 mile race over the top of a bloody mountain......seemed like a good idea but again there were fires around and the day we got up there and race day were around 108 degrees in your temperature scale.....so bloody hot.

No van this time as we decided to use the swags for a bit of bush camping.
    Esk_2.jpg
    Arrival although you can see it completely the recent fires stripped the mountain behind the park and were being found right up to its boundary. Locals reckon it was a near thing that they didn't loose the town. My unit was actually up her the weekend before doing evacuations as the bushfires rolled in.
    Esk_3.jpg
    All set up. He loves this style of camping and I can tell you my double sway is VERY roomy and comfortable.
    Esk_4.jpg
    Fairly simple set up put down the ground sheet roll out the vehicle awning, chairs and swags...Beer O'clock it is. With the pool in the park the rest of the arvo was spent with a few beers and a swim.

BankShot and mdcamping like this.
  2. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

After a swim the local Pub, the Esk Grand, is a short stumble from the park. Got there to find for about $15USD they had done a full lamb on the spit with apple cider coleslaw, home cured maple bacon bits on an Idaho potato and I was advised to come back as many times as I wished....... yep went back 3 times........OINK
    Esk_7.jpg
    Great feed with a cold beer
    Esk_5.jpg
    Great nights sleep followed by a bacon and egg role before heading over to ride the mountain.
    Esk_8.jpg
    After 2 flats I eventually made in in the 108 degree heat to not the last bloke finished.
    Esk_9.jpg
    And its hot, dry and smoky...
    Great weekend with my youngest we can't wait to go again.

Just a short report....

BankShot, Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  3. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Really? :eek: For 15USD I have to get me some of that!!!

The5goodwins and mdcamping like this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

My breakfast bagel isn't going to taste all the great this morning thanks to that picture of the lamb cooked on a spit with all the trimmings. I will say that you certainly do live up to the "Aussie Oath" Mr. Goodwin, "Live life in the bush as often possible". Actually I just made that one up but it could be one me thinks?...........:D Thanks once again for the great pictures...............

All the best mate, Terry................(aka BankShot)