And Why Do We Just Gotta Have Internet In Our Rv?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DXSMac, Jun 20, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Even if you are a weekend camper, it's good to have internet access. Why? Well, what if your children get hurt? You can use the internet to find doctors. Same for your pet. Although, in my recent case with my cat, I was lucky, it was daytime, I was at a private park where the manager knew a vet in the area, and I got my cat in. Now, if I had been at a state park with no internet access, MAYBE there would have been a ranger or camp host available, but then again, some of those state parks are out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm now seriously thinking of getting a Sprint card for when I stay at State parks. Ok, it won't work everywhere, but I don't think there is a company that DOES work everywhere.

Anyway, that's the best reason I can think of to have internet access in the RV. Anyone else have something to add?

JJ

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

The best coverage appears to be Verizon rather than Sprint. If only occasional access is needed data access can be added as a "feature" to a cell phone. Because it is a "feature" it can be turned on and off--not sure if you can turn on or off on a daily basis or not. Cost for first 5 gigs is $60 per month.

There are other ways to do this, of course.

P.S. very glad to hear that kitty is ok.

3. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Gotta have internet... What did we do before Al Gore invented it?

I have a Verizon aircard, but it's a business issue. At $60/mo, especially for week-enders, it's pricey to have it as a convenience. You will also find that it is not true high speed if you are not in an area of EVDO coverage; typically, a larger metro area.

Someone can verify this, but I think it's still a bundled service meaning that you need cell service to have it. If you have cell service where you camp, then that would be my primary means of communication especially in an emergency or urgent situation. I'd call 911 and ask to be transferred to the local police department and then ask for directions to a medical facility. And for $60 I can make quite a few 411 calls when it's not urgent.

I'd also say that most people don't consider accessing the net using their cell. New technology phones have that capability albeit for an extra fee-for-use charge.

An aircard is a handly thing to have. It's all about whether or not one finds it worth the money.

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jun 20 2008, 11:25 PM) [snapback]11970[/snapback]

Hi JJ,

The best coverage appears to be Verizon rather than Sprint. If only occasional access is needed data access can be added as a "feature" to a cell phone. Because it is a "feature" it can be turned on and off--not sure if you can turn on or off on a daily basis or not. Cost for first 5 gigs is $60 per month.

There are other ways to do this, of course.

P.S. very glad to hear that kitty is ok.

Can you get the Verizon Air Card without having a Verizon cell phone? I have a Sprint Cell phone, don't want to change because I have a good plan that is connected to my Sprint Home phone service. Now, my Land Line service is Verizon.... so I could get a Verizon card because of having the land line service.....

Sprint cost the same, but I'm hearing, like you said, that Verizon has better coverage.

JJ

5. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I am sitting at a campground that does not have wiFi and using a Verison card. The speed is very close to what I have at home with cable. My wife teaches on line course so we have to have internet if we want to travel. I am trying this Verizon card for 30 days and it seems to be very good. I can even drop my home cable internet and set up a wireless network at home and use all my computers. At least that is what I have been told. At $60 a month it is the best solution we have found. So far I would get it an A. Plan to get an external antenna and router in the near future. Besides the business side, I can keep in touch with family and you guys while on the road

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Jun 21 2008, 08:01 AM) [snapback]11972[/snapback]

I'd also say that most people don't consider accessing the net using their cell. New technology phones have that capability albeit for an extra fee-for-use charge.

You're right, I hadn't thought about that! I could..... if needed, access the internet on my phone, it would just cost me extra.

JJ

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jun 21 2008, 08:03 AM) [snapback]11973[/snapback]

Can you get the Verizon Air Card without having a Verizon cell phone?

When we began this fulltiming adventure 18 months ago: sold the house, canceled the landlines and packed the Cingular-service cel phones. At that time 'broadband air cards' were only offered by AT&T and Verizon. Verizon was the better fit with a basic HP laptop computer.

After some time on the road, discovered just about EVERY OTHER family member had evolved to Verizon cel service...so we switched in order to take advantage of unlimited Verizon to Verizon talking. Once we switched...Verizon wrapped in a $10/month discount on the air card.

Do we NEED the internet? After using it most of my professional life as an incredible source of information and communication...cannot imagine doing w/o.

Pls remember, like others, we're no longer using the RV for camping: aka getting away office, spouse, kids... However, when the ice chest, chairs and fishing gear are loaded into the Honda for the day... we don't take the internet. :rolleyes:

8. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

Yes, you can have just the "card" (best to get a usb type device with the ability to add a good external antenna if you go that route). However, the Card can be turned *off* but once per month (vacationed, I believe is the term used) whereas the cell phone can be turned off and on while tethered to your computer, so that a nice usable screen is available.

Who is your current cell phone provider?

There are also firms that rent the cards should you wish to "try before you buy".

If price is no object--then look at getting a unit from Telus Mobility. It apparently will roam on both the Sprint and Verison networks! Unlimited access at $100.00 per month

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jun 21 2008, 09:03 AM) [snapback]11973[/snapback]

Can you get the Verizon Air Card without having a Verizon cell phone? I have a Sprint Cell phone, don't want to change because I have a good plan that is connected to my Sprint Home phone service. Now, my Land Line service is Verizon.... so I could get a Verizon card because of having the land line service.....

Sprint cost the same, but I'm hearing, like you said, that Verizon has better coverage.

JJ

Hi JJ,

nix that Telus plan--they have already discontinued it! Now it is limited to just one gig for $90.00 per month. *GRRRRRR*

9. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Bud in Florida @ Jun 21 2008, 09:08 AM) [snapback]11974[/snapback]

At $60 a month it is the best solution we have found. So far I would get it an A. Plan to get an external antenna and router in the near future. Besides the business side, I can keep in touch with family and you guys while on the road

What he said. ;) We've lived in our motor home full-time for the past 2.5 years and travel around the country for business. No question about it, for us this has been the best thing we've ever done related to our online service. We even have an ad hoc network set up so my husband can get on his laptop through my connection.

For the first year we used a satellite for online service. This was about a step up from dial-up as far as ease of use and speed. And we couldn't use it unless we were parked.

I wish I had discovered the Verizon device sooner. This is a brilliant invention. I use an external antenna and for the most part, I get a great high-speed connection. The few places we go where Verizon doesn't have broadband, only national access, doesn't bother me because it's worth it to get the broadband the majority of the time.

BTW, I give their customer service an A, too. In my experience, even though Verizon has my business, they still treat me as if I matter when I have to call with questions or concerns.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Well, my current cell phone service is Sprint. Sprint also offers an air card, and I think for $60 a month it's unlimited. I've heard Verizon has better coverage.

JJ

11. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

It was unlimited at Sprint until very recently. Now it has the same 5 gig as Verison. After the 5 gigs the price is 0.99 per meg (about 5 emails or one to three web pages), so one really doesn't wish to go over the "cap".

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jun 21 2008, 05:41 PM) [snapback]11986[/snapback]

Well, my current cell phone service is Sprint. Sprint also offers an air card, and I think for $60 a month it's unlimited. I've heard Verizon has better coverage.

JJ

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jun 21 2008, 05:06 PM) [snapback]11987[/snapback]

Hi JJ,

It was unlimited at Sprint until very recently. Now it has the same 5 gig as Verison. After the 5 gigs the price is 0.99 per meg (about 5 emails or one to three web pages), so one really doesn't wish to go over the "cap".

Those dirty SOB's. Last I checked, Sprint had "unlimited" at $60, but that was two months ago.

JJ

13. WOOLFY

WOOLFY
    Expand Collapse

When we trave I map out the route on Google map and where we stop I do a search for a vet in the area. Record there address and phone number just in case. Keep there record in case were in the area again.

14. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

A very good reason to have internet in our RV!

JJ

QUOTE(WOOLFY @ Jun 24 2008, 02:23 PM) [snapback]12026[/snapback]

When we trave I map out the route on Google map and where we stop I do a search for a vet in the area. Record there address and phone number just in case. Keep there record in case were in the area again.

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Woolfy,

That is a very good suggestion. I'm going to do that, too, because in a crisis you do not want to be trying to find a vet--you want to be already driving to him.

16. donee

donee
    Expand Collapse

Im replying to this thread sitting in a RV park in Utah that has WI FI but I prefer to use the Verizon Air Card and wouldnt leave home without it.
    The reason we choose to use the air card instead of WIFI is the aircard, IMHO, is more secure than the Wi Fi is.

17. riggarob

riggarob
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(donee @ Jul 2 2008, 02:43 AM) [snapback]12143[/snapback]

Im replying to this thread sitting in a RV park in Utah that has WI FI but I prefer to use the Verizon Air Card and wouldnt leave home without it.
    The reason we choose to use the air card instead of WIFI is the aircard, IMHO, is more secure than the Wi Fi is.

I still can't make up my mind, so I keep watching these posts, and try to figure out what to do. I've got until Dec., when we head south/west for the winter. Robbie

18. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Like Donee, sure glad we opted for an 'aircard' when we hit the road. Still can access WiFi in those odd locations w/o ANY broadband reception (some places along the Virgin River thru Zion Nat'l Park come to mind).
    All the angst concerning which park actually has WiFi and which are just playing around...Poof! And should we just want to park it in the middle of nowhere... ah ... those 'broadbands' are usually available with the click of a mouse. :rolleyes:

19. tandiee

tandiee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jun 20 2008, 10:16 PM) [snapback]11968[/snapback]

Even if you are a weekend camper, it's good to have internet access. Why? Well, what if your children get hurt? You can use the internet to find doctors. Same for your pet. Although, in my recent case with my cat, I was lucky, it was daytime, I was at a private park where the manager knew a vet in the area, and I got my cat in. Now, if I had been at a state park with no internet access, MAYBE there would have been a ranger or camp host available, but then again, some of those state parks are out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm now seriously thinking of getting a Sprint card for when I stay at State parks. Ok, it won't work everywhere, but I don't think there is a company that DOES work everywhere.

Anyway, that's the best reason I can think of to have internet access in the RV. Anyone else have something to add?

JJ

We have Sprint, I would recommend Cingular (AT&T). We went with Sprint because we were out of State and cingular said they couldn't activate wireless internet ,we would have to have it done in our own state??? not true. Anyway, we will go to AT&T when our contract is up. we have had Cingular cell phone for a long time and have gotten real good service. We are at a camp ground in Iowa right now and the internet is real slow,(because of sprint)

20. Travelin Rose

Travelin Rose
    Expand Collapse

I have been using an air card for four years. The first one was T-Mobile. The second was Cingular/AT & T.

I was very disappointed with the Cingular/AT & T air card. We used it all over the USA. We had coverage almost everywhere, but the speed was very slow. In two years, I only had 3G coverage in two locations.

We have two Cingular/AT & T telephones and are satisfied with that service. But not the air card.

I have several friends who have Verizion air cards and are very heppy with them. Yesterday, I got a Verizion air card and it is working very well. The speed is much faster than Cingular/AT & T.