"Back" button on browser goes too far back

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by RickB, Jan 13, 2015.

1. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

I have a suggestion for improving searches for campgrounds.
    An example: I click on the state I want, click on the yellow circle in the area of the state I think I want to camp and then check out the campground websites in that area. I decide I'd like to check out another area in the same region of the state and click on the "back" button on my browser. First I'll see the last park websites I've visited but one more "back" and I'm backed all the way out to the state map. I wanted to back out to the yellow circle. Another example is to click on the state, click on a yellow circle in the state, then click the "back" button. I'm taken all the way back to the U.S. map instead of to the state map. The "back" button takes me too far back.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

This appears to do the same thing on my laptop. I don't know if this is a glitch or if the website developers planned it this way for some reason. Either way I will let them know about it and see what happens.

Also just in case this does not happen on all computers, it would be helpful if you would please let us know what device you are using, along with the operating system and the browser and their versions. Thanks.

3. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume
    Expand Collapse

...maybe buttons that function something like: "<" , "<<" , ">>" , ">"
    where < or > takes one all the way back
    and << or >> goes back 1 level within the current view

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

That "Back" limitation may be a function of the Google Map API that controls the mapping feature. The "Back" button tells the browser to go to the previous page, which in this case would be the page displayed before the individual state map is shown. The map feature functions as a subroutine within the current window. The page address in the browser's address bar does not change as we zoom in, so the browser does not update the current page in its history, moving the previous page down a notch. That's quite oversimplified, and I don't know exactly how the programmers implemented the mapping feature of course. What does work though, is to simply click on the zoom " -" tab on the left to go back out in steps instead of using the browser's "Back" button.

5. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

Dutch I tested your suggestion of using the "-" button. Once you've visited a campground's website the "-" option disappears. The only way out of the campground website is the "back" button (which kicks me all the way back to the state map). BTW, I use Firefox on my computer and have yet to browse this website using our tablet. Thanks.

6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Ok, yeah, once you go off the map by selecting a campsite, the map function is closed. It'll be interesting to see if the programmers have any tools available to overcome that issue.

7. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

Same problem here. I'm doing some intensive searching for next summer's stay and I keep getting bounced back to the state map when I use the back button after clicking on a specific campground. I have Windows7 and use Internet Explorer.

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Not having any problems here, I have Windows 8 and firefox. When I use the back button when on a specific campground it goes to the page before.

Mike

9. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Click the link for the CG by pressing down on your scroll button - most browsers default to opening in a different tab, so your map will still be zoomed into where you left it.

10. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Happy Camper! It works just as you explained. (Windows 7 & Firefox)

11. Big Rig Full Timer

Big Rig Full Timer
    Expand Collapse

I just discovered that if I have drilled down to a certain level in a map by clicking the icons, I can get back one level by doing a double-RIGHT-click on the mouse. Seems it does the same thing as clicking the "-", but you can double-right-click anywhere on the map.

12. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Cool! I just tried the double-RIGHT-click on the map and it works just as you said. Great find, and thanks for letting us know about it!