Bathrooms In Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by USA Traveler, Jul 24, 2011.

1. USA Traveler

USA Traveler
    Expand Collapse

I am new to this forum and just wanting suggestions on how to keep bathrooms clean in a public campground that has no contractor or anyone assigned to keep the area clean. Signs have been posted, volunteers asked to help keep the bath houses clean, but everyone gets discouraged after a few time of cleaning only to find that it is dirtier than before in a few hours.

I have been on both sides of this problem, both as a RVer and as a volunteer trying to keep things up and am trying to help solve this problem for everyone,

Thanks for any suggestions and or advice.

2. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

Boy, this is a tough one. I've volunteered in many areas where there were both volunteers and contractors whose purpose in life was to clean restrooms and very rarely were they able to keep up with it. Asking the GP to clean up after themselves will never work as those who have been hosts can attest. I wish I could offer a good recommendation but I can't. I'll be following this thread to see if anyone else can.

3. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(USA Traveler @ Jul 24 2011, 06:22 AM) [snapback]26908[/snapback]

I am new to this forum and just wanting suggestions on how to keep bathrooms clean in a public campground that has no contractor or anyone assigned to keep the area clean. Signs have been posted, volunteers asked to help keep the bath houses clean, but everyone gets discouraged after a few time of cleaning only to find that it is dirtier than before in a few hours.

I have been on both sides of this problem, both as a RVer and as a volunteer trying to keep things up and am trying to help solve this problem for everyone,

that a camp ground should provide.
    I don't know which part of America or Canada you are talking about but, honestly, I never heard such problem

4. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Galli @ Jul 26 2011, 09:04 PM) [snapback]26925[/snapback]

that a camp ground should provide.
    I don't know which part of America or Canada you are talking about but, honestly, I never heard such problem

Have you ever been a volunteer? Had you ever been one and could still ask the same question, you are very lucky indeed. Cleaning bathrooms in a public environment is not something I would recommend for anyone.

5. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(abbygolden @ Jul 28 2011, 08:54 AM) [snapback]26947[/snapback]

Have you ever been a volunteer? Had you ever been one and could still ask the same question, you are very lucky indeed. Cleaning bathrooms in a public environment is not something I would recommend for anyone.

. abbygolden, I never been a volunteer, :rolleyes: if you decided to take this responsibility, you are the only one to blame, therefore, your complaint has no ground. :lol:
    Let me clarify, I shall never go to a camp where routinely you have a duty to work for the community

6. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I clean the bathrooms here at our CG every day. Granted, we don't have a lot of people using them since most people prefer their bathrooms in their RV's. I just go in and clean as though it was my own bathroom. I don't see it as a big deal. I do get irritated when people deliberately make a mess but then there are always jerks around that think it's funny since they don't have to clean it. I had one where someone smeared poop under all the hand rails in the handicapped stall. They also smeared it on the wall and floor. I just put on gloves, got my supplies and went to work.

Any campground should have someone assigned to clean the bathrooms as it is their responsibility to see that the job is done and done well. If the owners refuse to do that for their guests then they have no business owning a campground.

7. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Galli @ Jul 28 2011, 11:16 AM) [snapback]26948[/snapback]

. abbygolden, I never been a volunteer, :rolleyes: if you decided to take this responsibility, you are the only one to blame, therefore, your complaint has no ground. :lol:
    Let me clarify, I shall never go to a camp where routinely you have a duty to work for the community

8. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(abbygolden @ Jul 28 2011, 02:41 PM) [snapback]26950[/snapback]

What complaint? I made a statement. I also asked you a question which you answered and it told me everything I needed to know about you.

I am sorry to have misinterpreted your lines but the way you quoted it it sound as a complaint.
    Mind you, I don't see a thing wrong in what you are doing only that, those are the basic service that a campground should provide as part of the rent that you are paying.
    Anyway, I apology for my misunderstanding
    Galli

9. KETTERMN

KETTERMN
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(USA Traveler @ Jul 24 2011, 06:22 AM) [snapback]26908[/snapback]

I have always helped clean the restroom where we camp.I feel it is my resonablity to clean up after myself and my family even when we camp.Responability is one of those words that has gotten lost when people get the "me syndrome". You know the syndrome I mean, it all about "me" "me" "me". This mind set seems to grow with every year and younger people seem to have a large dose of it. I by no means mean to knock anyone but if we do not take care of where we go and enough people disrespect the places soon we will have no place to camp.It takes a community to make camping fun and enjoyable.

10. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(KETTERMN @ Jul 29 2011, 09:10 AM) [snapback]26963[/snapback]

I have always helped clean the restroom where we camp.I feel it is my resonablity to clean up after myself and my family even when we camp.Responability is one of those words that has gotten lost when people get the "me syndrome". You know the syndrome I mean, it all about "me" "me" "me". This mind set seems to grow with every year and younger people seem to have a large dose of it. I by no means mean to knock anyone but if we do not take care of where we go and enough people disrespect the places soon we will have no place to camp.It takes a community to make camping fun and enjoyable.

I agree with you and vouch for your principles, namely, it is very reasonable and hygienic for you to clean the place before using it; however, I am now answering your early message in which you stated that ,someone, did spread feces on the wall, on the seat etc..., if this is the case, I am of the opinion that, the camp administration should be advised and take corrective action in a timely manner.
    Just for the record, we, wife and I, are mainly using our bathroom in the 5th W, however, whenever we decide to use the public one, we act like you by cleaning the seat before using it.
    If I may advance a suggestion, if you do realize that the public lavatory is not up to a minimum standard, I would report the situation to the administration since they have to know that some uncivilized pig is part of the community and attach notices on the doors requiring a certain hygienic behavior

11. USA Traveler

USA Traveler
    Expand Collapse

I appreciate the comments and right now the volunteers and Rangers are working pretty well together to keep the bathrooms clean. It is a small day use park, but we have a lot of families who come to the park during the weekend and some just do not care what it looks like. I am currently a volunteer, working in the office, but do help in the park. I also run the gatehouse during the weekend, so I receive all the complaints about any issues or concerns in the park.

Hope everyone has a great, somewhat cool summer B)

12. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

I also volunteer as a camp host in a florida state park. I have found that the more people see you doing around the park and the cleaner you keep the restrooms the harder it is for other people to mess them up. After someone comments on how nice I am keeping them, its hard to just throw your paper towel on the floor.

13. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MCRANE @ Aug 1 2011, 09:26 AM) [snapback]27018[/snapback]

I also volunteer as a camp host in a florida state park. I have found that the more people see you doing around the park and the cleaner you keep the restrooms the harder it is for other people to mess them up. After someone comments on how nice I am keeping them, its hard to just throw your paper towel on the floor.

I only volunteered in one FL state park so my comments will be a small sample. The restrooms had seen MUCH better days, but like everything else, there wasn't enough money to improve them. Not only that but my wife and I constantly bought cleaning supplies (we weren't required to) during our time there as they constantly ran out and didn't have the money to replace them. This was pre-recession so I'd hate to see what shape they are in now. We had to clean the restrooms three times a day and most often that wasn't enough.

One thing I've noticed both as a volunteer and as a camper is that restrooms are generally WAY more clean in a private park than in a state park. I have my own theory as to why that is but in these PC days it's probably better to keep it to myself.

14. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(abbygolden @ Aug 1 2011, 11:17 AM) [snapback]27021[/snapback]

I only volunteered in one FL state park so my comments will be a small sample. The restrooms had seen MUCH better days, but like everything else, there wasn't enough money to improve them. Not only that but my wife and I constantly bought cleaning supplies (we weren't required to) during our time there as they constantly ran out and didn't have the money to replace them. This was pre-recession so I'd hate to see what shape they are in now. We had to clean the restrooms three times a day and most often that wasn't enough.

One thing I've noticed both as a volunteer and as a camper is that restrooms are generally WAY more clean in a private park than in a state park. I have my own theory as to why that is but in these PC days it's probably better to keep it to myself.

abbygolden.... Don't say it or you might be sewed for discriminations he, he, he.
    In my opinion , the world gave existence to two kind of people, the civilized one and the.. I don't wish to be sewed either

15. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(abbygolden @ Aug 1 2011, 11:17 AM) [snapback]27021[/snapback]

We are currently staying at a private park here in Indiana owned and run by ex-fulltimers. At the entrance to the bathrooms/showers is a sign that says, "These facilities are provided as a convenience for you. Abuse these facilities and we will close them down. Thank you for your consideration."
    The facilities are spotless, some of the cleanest I've ever seen!
    So I say, throw the responsibility back on the community, as it works, whether it is PC or not. The campers will police themselves. At least they do here, and that's a good thing.

16. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Aug 2 2011, 02:57 PM) [snapback]27042[/snapback]

We are currently staying at a private park here in Indiana owned and run by ex-fulltimers. At the entrance to the bathrooms/showers is a sign that says, "These facilities are provided as a convenience for you. Abuse these facilities and we will close them down. Thank you for your consideration."
    The facilities are spotless, some of the cleanest I've ever seen!
    So I say, throw the responsibility back on the community, as it works, whether it is PC or not. The campers will police themselves. At least they do here, and that's a good thing.

Am I to understand that there is no one assigned to clean the rest rooms? That would be a first in a private RV park. And, while I agree with the sentiment, if I were to ever go to a place that had a sign such as you mention, I would turn around and depart. The "facilities" are NOT provided as a convenience - they are an integral part of the park. If they were to be closed, the owner would lose customers in a hurry. Again, I completely agree with the sentiment, just not the actuality. If it works for them more power to them. RVers now stay away from places that charge for wifi or don't allow dogs. How do you think it would be if a traveller pulled in and saw that the rest rooms were closed?

17. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(abbygolden @ Aug 2 2011, 02:22 PM) [snapback]27044[/snapback]

Am I to understand that there is no one assigned to clean the rest rooms? That would be a first in a private RV park. And, while I agree with the sentiment, if I were to ever go to a place that had a sign such as you mention, I would turn around and depart. The "facilities" are NOT provided as a convenience - they are an integral part of the park. If they were to be closed, the owner would lose customers in a hurry. Again, I completely agree with the sentiment, just not the actuality. If it works for them more power to them. RVers now stay away from places that charge for wifi or don't allow dogs. How do you think it would be if a traveller pulled in and saw that the rest rooms were closed?

abbygolden = I agree with your statement, namely, I wouldn't go to a park without the basic service, however and mine is not a sarcastic statement, there are certain people that they feel comfortable with this restrictions.
    I believe that there are small parks where the campers becomes like a family and in order to keep the cost down, they are ready to cheap in the maintenance.
    Regarding myself, I see more a park like an extension of an hotel with less or more facilities (i.e. swimming pool, SPA, tennis, HiFi...etc.., however, in order to have these facilities I am ready to spend a little bit more

18. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(abbygolden @ Aug 2 2011, 02:22 PM) [snapback]27044[/snapback]

Of course staff cleans the restrooms. Duh...It's a private park!
    Since almost all MH's/TT/5th Wheels have showers and bathrooms, I differ with you in that rest rooms could realistically be viewed as a convienience.
    I heavily doubt that they would close the bathrooms, but it plants the right idea of self-responsibility in people's minds.
    You misunderstood and yes, you assumed. You know what they say about those who assume.
    Adios!

19. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

B.Kidd, I'm not sure why you decided to be so sarcastic. Just because it is a private park does not mean the bathrooms will be cleaned by someone that is employed there. We have stayed in private parks where the restrooms were never cleaned. One was full of leaves and kitchen garbage and one was so nasty I would have preferred to use the woods rather than even consider using the facilities.

Most of the campers here are motor homes and fifth wheels but many people still think they should use our bathrooms instead of using their own and many of those do not clean up after themselves and feel they shouldn't since it the campground pays someone to do that job. I actually had a customer tell me that I was paid to clean up after them. I do not mind doing routine cleaning but when someone deliberately leaves a mess I don't appreciate that.

20. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Aug 3 2011, 11:17 AM) [snapback]27068[/snapback]

Of course staff cleans the restrooms. Duh...It's a private park!
    Since almost all MH's/TT/5th Wheels have showers and bathrooms, I differ with you in that rest rooms could realistically be viewed as a convienience.
    I heavily doubt that they would close the bathrooms, but it plants the right idea of self-responsibility in people's minds.
    You misunderstood and yes, you assumed. You know what they say about those who assume.
    Adios!

Your OP left me wondering about the cleaning responsibility, hence the question. I certainly don't feel that rest rooms should be considered a convenience. They are a necessity. As dalsgal and others will tell you, even those who have big rigs frequently will use the CGs rest rooms rather than the bathrooms in their own rig. I've never been able to figure that out but it's a fact.

I didn't assume anything, I was just trying to get an answer which you so graciously provided. You obviously have a great deal more experience than my 30+ years of RVing so I will yield to your all knowing experience.

dalsgal - ref your first sentence - I just consider the source and keep on going.