Best Route from Salt Lake City to Grand Teton NP

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by maryerath, May 7, 2021.

1. maryerath

maryerath
    Expand Collapse

Hi! We are planning to drive from San Diego to Grand Teton NP but we are not sure which route to take. Some people say that the 89 from Utah is best but my RV route program is saying take the 15 into Idaho Falls and then cut over meeting up with the 89 closer to Jackson Hole. We are experienced RVers but we don't want to end up on the most difficult route by accident. Thanks!

Mamunur Rashid likes this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi maryerth and welcome to the forum. It's been a bunch of years since we drove up to Jackson and the Tetons from LA but the route we took then was both fairly direct and with a lot of really fine scenery. And it works fine for RVs and is/was for us the most direct. I'll make this as short as I can.....
    Use I-15 to SLC and then continue on north to Logan. Take 89 over to Bear Lake and Garden City then go north on 89 and follow it all the way to Montpelier. Stay on 89 to 189 and then on into Jackson and the rest will be up to you from there. As mentioned this is about the most direct route and also a scenic one but there are some side roads along the way you can also use that will be a tad slower but also scenic. Best to get a few 'old school maps' and outline whatever route you feel is best. The routes you mentioned are also good ones, just depends on how much of a hurry you are in to get there but I would imagine that isn't the case.......:D Have a great trip, wish we were tagging along behind you as it's been way too long since we visited that beautiful area. Hope this was of some help to you...................

Travel safe, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

#2 BankShot, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Sorry I misspelled your Avatar name. Left out the second 'A'. I never was good at spelling...:oops:

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

maryerath likes this.
  4. maryerath

maryerath
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much Terry! That helps a lot. I would love to take the 89 and stick to the scenic route for sure. So glad to know it works fine for RV-ers. Hope you can get back to the Tetons/Yellowstone soon!
    Mary

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I think you'll enjoy this route, we sure did. Heading over 89 from Logan to Bear Lake you will be running alongside the river most all of the way and it crosses over from the right side to the left side several times along the way. It's two lane road but no problem for RVs and plenty of places to pull over and get out to stretch your legs or change drivers if needed. Very enjoyable drive. Heading up north from Garden City along Bear Lake is also a great drive and of course once you start on into Jackson and Yellowstone to the north, the scenery is simply spectacular. Again, enjoy your trip and if you care to when you get back drop a post on this thread and let us know what you thought of the route overall..............

Reagard, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

#5 BankShot, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
    maryerath likes this.
  6. maryerath

maryerath
    Expand Collapse

Terry,
    Thank you so much for your advice. We had an amazing trip and the drive along the 89 was a fantastic start. You were so right, it wasn’t a difficult drive and it was amazingly beautiful! We plan to go on another long trip next summer and we can’t wait. I’m the mean time we are heading to the Grand Canyon for a quick trip. Our kids have never seen it before. Thanks again for the advice and hope all is well with you.
    Mary

Mamunur Rashid and Rollin Ollens like this.