Big Barn or Wac Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by cheyenne, Jul 8, 2003.

1. cheyenne

cheyenne
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone have any information on Wac campground in Sarcoxie MO or Big Barn in Carthage MO. We are planning a vacation at the end of this month in the Carthage area and would like to know of any recommended campgrounds.

2. MS

MS
    Expand Collapse

I like the WAC campground in Sarcoxie. I am not sure that I would want to stay for a long time at WAC, but it would be good for several days. I can't really comment on the Big Barn in Carthage, since I've never been there or seen it. There is a nasty review of the WAC campground posted in the review section of this website. Based on my experience in July and August 2002, I believe that the nasty critique is half-truth and hyperbole. Some parts are accurate, though. The game room isn't working, for example. The spaces are adequate in size, but not really big. Yes, there is a bison, but it doesn't have the run of the playground or the pool. Yes, there are long term residents. But they aren't near the short term sites, and many nice RV parks do have them. The pool was in great shape while we were there. I can also recommend their fried chicken dinner. We met the mayor of Sarcoxie having dinner there.

The office at WAC has a presidential campaign bumper sticker on the wall. (It doesn't really matter which candidate.) The intensity and the vitriol of the review seems to me like it came from someone who was upset about the owner's political preferences, and somehow had to get revenge and somehow "punish" them.

MS

3. SL592

SL592
    Expand Collapse

I would PASS the WAC campground. The Big Red Barm campground in Carthage is far better. I could go on and on about the reasons not to go there, but chances are you have already taken your trip.