Camping For Athletic Events

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Tikijenn, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Tikijenn

Tikijenn
    Expand Collapse

How many of you have camped while participating in an athletic event? What was your personal experience like? Would you do it again?

2. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

If you consider NASCAR an athletic event, then too many times to count!!!! :p And yep we plan on numerous more times!!! B)

3. Trentheim

Trentheim
    Expand Collapse

I boondocked in 15 degree F weather (with an 18 month old and my wife) for a college football game (spectators). It was a worthwhile experience and much more fun than getting a hotel room.

Also, having now used the RV a bit more since then and knowing what it's like when participating in events (marathon, for instance), it is nice to be able to sleep in a familiar bed.

For events like adventure racing, I can see camping out, RVing especially, as the way to go, be you participant or spectator. Just be ready to conserve your consumables (water especially).

4. Tikijenn

Tikijenn
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Trentheim @ Mar 15 2009, 06:14 PM) [snapback]15506[/snapback]

I boondocked in 15 degree F weather (with an 18 month old and my wife) for a college football game (spectators). It was a worthwhile experience and much more fun than getting a hotel room.

Also, having now used the RV a bit more since then and knowing what it's like when participating in events (marathon, for instance), it is nice to be able to sleep in a familiar bed.

For events like adventure racing, I can see camping out, RVing especially, as the way to go, be you participant or spectator. Just be ready to conserve your consumables (water especially).

I guess you answered that for me. Wow! Boondocked in 15 deg weather with an 18 month old is hard core!!! We have tent camped with a 4 month old but certainly not in 15 deg weather. I guess I'm a little nervous because I want to camp with the family and participate in my first triathlon while there. Since we are fairly new to all of this I didn't know if it was realistic to try but like you said being able to sleep in a familiar bed makes it a lot better.

5. Ovalejeff

Ovalejeff
    Expand Collapse

Pulled my travel trailer from Sacramento, CA to Corvallis, OR to watch a Oregon State Beaver home game and will definitely do it again. Had a ball. Camped at a KOA just outside of town and the campground was full of Beaver fans so the party never stopped. There wasn't a motel room available within 50 miles of the University so we saved a bundle for the 2 nights we were there.