Columbia Icefields Parkway, Alberta

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by The Travellers, Feb 22, 2018.

1. The Travellers

The Travellers
    Expand Collapse

Before we had our own RV, we toured the parkway in a rental 26 ft.C class in early September 2009. After staying in Jasper a couple of nights, we headed back down to the Columbia Icefields and found the Wilcox Creek campground on the east side of the highway just a few miles south of the information centre. This is a first come first serve RV campground that operates on the honour system. Find a site and walk back down to the entrance and put the money in an envelope. This is a steep, terraced campground not good for longer than 30 ft units but is well worth the stay. Water only is available at the sites. We were at least 10 ft. above the campsites below. The firewood fee was about $2 CDN but take as much as you need because there was a huge pile. Waking up here in the morning was breathtaking... as well as below freezing. We were fortunate we had a generator with us. One of our all time favorite campsites. IMG_1466.JPG

BankShot, Rollin Ollens and mdcamping like this.
  2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

That view and add a morning cup of coffee, perfection!

Thanks for sharing

Mike

3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

N
    Nice pic. Thanks for posting. That whole piece of roadway has some beautiful scenery. I used to live in that area. Definitely a must if one is traveling in the Banff/Lake Louise area.

I think the Fire Permit program might still exist in the National Parks. That is what cost you the money. Buying the permit....there was no cost for the wood.

Keep posting great pics like that.

Darrell & Jerry

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Seeing that picture makes me want to move back to Canada. I'd join mdcamping (Mike) in that morning cup for sure......... :D Enjoy your travels, keep those pictures coming our way...........

Regards, BankShot..............(aka Terry)