Cross Country without Interstates / US20 and US30?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Dallairelj, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Dallairelj

Dallairelj
    Expand Collapse

Planning a cross country trip from Northern Virginia to Black Hills, Yellowstone and Tetons during June/July 2022. Driving an F350 CCSB towing a 37' Keystone TT. All of the mapping apps force travel on interstates vs. US highways and state roads, even when interstates are somewhat longer distances. Even RV Trip Wizard seems to do this when I set it to use my average overland speed (55 mph).

I have to believe that some of the more scenic routes are similar trip times, perhaps even shorter, when I consider that I'll drive a max of about 65mph on an interstate. Many times the US highways are shorter distances than the interstates. I'm particularly thinking of US 30 across Ohio, Indiana, Illlinois, Iowa and Nebraska, as well as US 20 across Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska to Wyoming. I've done interstate xc drives 4x, so I'd rather make the trip a little nicer. The reality is that I have 3 weeks to take the family out west, and we're not really looking for a midwestern vacation (no offense!) so some good westward progress is necessary.

Can anyone comment on the speed or conditions of these roads?

Markski likes this.
  2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

For many years when we full time traveled in a 5th wheel and large truck, we tried to stay off the interstates and drove the "blue" roads that was the color of the roads on our map. You do see much more of the real country, but need to be prepared to be driving slow through the small and tiny towns and cities. But that is where you find the interesting points of interest. If need be, you can always hop back on the freeway to make better time.

Markski likes this.
  3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Interesting that you are selecting US 30. That was tye first US cross country highway, called the Lincoln Highway. Should be very scenic. Theres even a song about it:

4. campingdog

campingdog
    Expand Collapse

Hey Dallairelj,
    You stated three week trip. With 4000 plus miles round trip I recommend you stay on the freeways to get there. US30 which parallels interstate 80 has so many small towns that you will have to slow down for that your average will be down to 45 mph.
    I have made round trips from central Arkansas to eastern Idaho and up to central Montana about 12 times by car and every year since 2010 towing a TT or 5W to visit my inlaws. Have visited Yellowstone and Black Hills area at least six times each.
    A route I would recommend is take I-80 to Rawlins, then take WY-287 up thru Lander and Dubois to Moran which is just south of Colter Bay.
    Could camp at Colter Bay and see Teton NP and Southern end of YS. Could move thru the park either to West Yellowstone or Fishing Bridge camps and make daily trips around the north and south loops in YS. Recommend you leave the campground at sunup with lunch and refreshments to be able to stop at attractions and get back to CG by dark. You can get caught in a bear jam that will block traffic for an hour. I have seen 12 cars stop in the middle of the road just to photograph an eagle.
    After YS I would recommend you exit YS park out east side to Cody, WY. Lots to see.
    Leaving Cody take Wy-20 to Greybull then south to Worland then east on WY-16 thru Tensleep over the mountain to Buffalo. Then can take I-90 to Rapid City or turn off at Moorcroft and take Highway 16 into Custer, SD which is our favorite area to stay in the Black Hills area. When you leave out I recommend you take Hwy 385 south to Chadron, Ne.
    Make sure you stop at the Mammoth site at Hot Springs south of Custer especially if you have kids.

Hope you find some useful info out of my long post.

Larry