Decent Campgrounds in Denver, CO area??

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Vicki K, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Vicki K

Vicki K
    Expand Collapse

Earlier this season, we stayed at Dakota Ridge, in Golden, CO. It's a nice enough place, a little crowded and pricey. But we were hoping that someone had other suggestions for a decent campground that wouldn't break the budget.

2. DenverDoc

DenverDoc
    Expand Collapse

That's easy. Cherry Creek State Park. It's the oldest state park in Colorado, has well-developed hardwood trees, four loops of full hook-up camping, well-maintained shower/laundry facilities, and access to all of the large state park activities (fishing, bicycle trails, horseback riding, shooting range, etcetera) you could want. Book early, though, because like all really good parks this one fills up fast.

HollyLouise and pleasantsurprise like this.
  3. ironflange

ironflange
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at Dakota Ridge in the southwest recently. It's very nice, but next time I'll take one of the back-in sites around the outside; the pull-throughs are pretty close together.

4. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

Will the back-in sites hold a 40-foot RV?

Vicki K, I don't know when you're planning to arrive, but I'd be shocked if you could get a site at Cherry Creek on a weekend for the rest of the summer, and even September will be tight. If you're still a couple of weeks out, you can probably get a few consecutive weeknights.

Slim pickings in the Denver area. Prospect RV Park in Wheat Ridge is convenient (it's right on the bike path). If you're considering it, be aware that as far as I know, it doesn't have 50-amp electricity. Their website is a little vague on that, and reviews here say there is 50-amp service. But the site I was in several years ago had a 50-amp plug with a 50-30 dogbone on it.

I removed the dogbone and plugged in, and found out the next day from the maintenance guy that the cover on the pedestal was supposed to be locked so the dogbone couldn't be removed. So they have 50-amp plugs but they limit people to using 30 amps.

Denver is hot in the summer, although if you're in the shade it makes a HUGE difference. But keep that in mind if you will need to run two air conditioners and 30 amps will be a problem for you.

The Jefferson County Fairgrounds not far from Dakota Ridge is okay as a base of operations (not for hanging around), but is E/W only with a dump station that required a key when I stayed there ages ago. Some of the sites are 50-amp, though. But it's not cheap--$40 for the 50-amp E/W sites.

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I have two other suggestions for you as well...

You might try Clear Creek RV Park. It's small and the comments about larger rigs having some problems may be correct, but I have seen some 35'-40' motorhomes parked there in the past. If you find a place to fit, the setting is very nice next to the running river.
    https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/colorado/golden/clear-creek-rv-park

Another suggestion if you don't need hookups would be Standley Lake Regional Park. Most sites can handle large rigs, and many look out over the lake.
    https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/colorado/westminster/standley-lake-regional-park

Chris G.

6. John_D

John_D
    Expand Collapse

Just west of Denver in Central City is an awesome KOA.

We stayed there last fall and had a wonderful time in our 5th-wheeler.

Plus, there are several places north of Denver in the Longmont, Loveland and Ft. Collins area!

7. Vicki K

Vicki K
    Expand Collapse

Thanks to everyone that replied. We altered our route a bit, and will just bypass Denver this time All of the State parks were booked and couldn't even get into Dakota Ridge. Since my initial post, we decided on a route that takes us just driving through and we'll stop in Limon. We aren't on a strict timetable this time.
    Having been on the road since May, we are just wandering this summer!
    Killing some time before heading to the Fleetwood plant in Indiana in August. Looks like we will be there quite a while, as I have a VERY long list of things that need to be taken care of.
    Guess all of that is for another posts

8. John_D

John_D
    Expand Collapse

The problem with the Denver area is that so many campers are looking for places to stay and there aren't enough campsites in the area!

9. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

A few years ago I stayed in Golden at Clear Creek. Very nice little muni but many of the sites are tight (not a problem for me). They are in a fantastic location, easy walking to downtown Golden. Downside of it is they don't take reservations, so it is a crapshoot as to if you can get in there or not. Best you can do is call in the morning and see if there are sites and they will put you on the list if there are.

10. Rich the Diver

Rich the Diver
    Expand Collapse

I recently booked a long weekend at Cherry Creek with full hook-ups. Have stayed there before and recommend staying there. Most spaces are drive through and I can park my 26ft RV and pickup on the site. We have also stayed at Chatfield Reservoir which is also a Colorado State Park. Both parks are clean. Fishing at Chatfield; shooting and boating at Cherry Creek.
    http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/Pages/default.aspx

11. Journey On

Journey On
    Expand Collapse

I know of two: Chatfield State Park near Littlton, and Chief Hosa near Evergreen.

12. Ron Watson

Ron Watson
    Expand Collapse

I stayed at Chatfield state park in Littleton.
    Huge state park, good/clean facilities. Only has a dump station. Gets full on weekends.

13. Pete_by_the_river

Pete_by_the_river
    Expand Collapse

Had family located near Golden, CO. Several potential RV parks there...
    1. Chief Hosa Lodge & Campground. (West of Golden, off I-70) Some sites are very tight (I had a 43' Wanderlodge), and most sites do not have sewer hook up, only water and electricity. (I haven't stayed there for several years, but reviews sill look good.)

2. Clear Clreek RV Park. This is a city-owned park. Once upon a time it was "first come first served" but now apparently takes reservations. Spaces are a little tight for bigger rigs, but it's an attractive park for an in-town location, right by the creek that runs through town.

3. Dakota Ridge. It's a "nicer" commercial RV park, with the plusses and minuses that involves. I managed to get my 43' Wanderlodge into the assigned pull-through site with little difficulty, but the interior roads are a bit narrow in places. I stayed there in winter, when there was considerable snow on the ground...

4. Across the street from Dakota Ridge is Golden terrace South RV Resort. Note that this park has 'poor' ratings ... it has all the ambiance of a parking lot ... it is almost completely paved. Many long-term residents. I stayed there in early spring when the park was mostly empty. Even so, it was a struggle getting my 43' Wanderlodge in and out of the park. Since we were fully self-contained, we did not use any of the facilities of the "resort" (??!!) other than the hookups which all were fine. We also learned that "spring" comes a LOT earlier in California (where we lived at the time) than it does in Colorado. Stayed there on a weekly rate for about 2 weeks -- then escaped just as a "big snow storm" was headed for Colorado. Might be the "budget choice" if needed, but don't expect much from the RV park.

5. Our favorite for the area was Cottonwood RV Camp in Idaho Springs, CO, about 20 miles west of Golden off I-70. One of the plusses of this RV park is the distance from I-70 (it's on SR 103 that runs parallel to Chicago Creek) about 1-3/4 miles from the center of town. The best sites are along the road (and easiest to get into). The bulk of the sites are behind the owner's house on a gravel lot. Adjacent to the RV part is a mobile home park, but the RVs and mobile homes aren't mixed. It's a very quiet RV park and there's little traffic on the main road. Probably not a good choice for someone with kids. I'm surprised at the low ratings and negative comments about management. We stayed there multiple times in all seasons (winter had some difficulties with water, but we set up a 100 foot of hose from a "protected" faucet so we could refill our weather-protected internal tanks, and it worked out OK.) The staff was considerate, and even went out of their way to help me 'rescue' my spouse when she lost her copy of our Toad key while she hiked up a 14,000 peak a few miles from the RV park. But they do require cash (no credit cards or checks) payment... so it's necessary to be prepared.

In all cases, summer is a very busy season in Colorado. It can be difficult to find an available RV park.

14. grandflic

grandflic
    Expand Collapse

We have reservations at Prospect RV Park in Denver in late September. A busy place because, according to the attendant I spoke with, new arrivals to the Denver area are camping there while looking for houses. Not bad prices, and centrally located to Denver activities.

15. Texas2

Texas2
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at the Central City KOA twice. Most recent June 2016. Nice level, long, concrete pull-thru. Enough room for my Ram crew cab and our 42ft 5ver. Also have stayed at Dakota Ridge. Nice park but the pull- thru are too close together and face each other. Not big rig friendly. Ok if you're caravanning with someone. Not enough room for awning if neighbor's is out.

16. spyder11

spyder11
    Expand Collapse

If you want to fight traffic two hours everyday day to get to anything, Cherry Creek is your best bet. We got so sick of this after three days that we moved. The park would not work with us at all. They had our money and they were going to keep it. Never again.

17. Jim Haines

Jim Haines
    Expand Collapse

The population of the front range of Colorado from Colorado Springs to Denver and on to Fort Collins is absolutely exploding. Unless you make reservations VERY early in the year, it is virtually impossible to find a decent RV campsite from Thursday or Friday night through the week end.

One thing we learned about the state park campgrounds is that you might get lucky and find a site if someone cancelled their reservations.

HOWEVER, there is such demand that people wait in line at the campground offices to even ask about cancellations AND the campground office will not release any campsites that may be available until exactly 12:00 noon. (And, no, you can't do this by telephone).

We have gotten in lines 12-15 people deep at 9 AM at both Cherry Creek and at Chatfield State Parks only to find out at 12 noon that no cancellations were available.

The only thing I can add to all that has alreadtly been written, is this. Under no circumstances stay at Flying Saucer RV park in Sheridan, just south of Denver. It is ideally situated and would be a wonderful park, but it is terribly neglected. And I am being extremly charitable!

18. John_D

John_D
    Expand Collapse

As with any large metropolitan area . . . there is this little thing we call "Rush Hour".

If you wait for that to be over you can get through town very quickly.

19. Dennis M

Dennis M
    Expand Collapse

Spring and fall Cherry Creek is fairly easy to get into. We usually stay there twice a year visiting rellys. In March of this year I went looking for 14 consecutive days and the first I could line up was the first 2 weeks in July!

As others have said, this is a great park, long pull throughs, well maintained, wide spread sites. Just be aware that in addition to to the daily fee ($24-$26) you need a State Park pass for your primary vehicle, $7 per day or $73 for an annual pass - which is good for the next 12 months from date of purchase. They will give you a free pass for your towed.

20. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Actually, I don't know if it's changed recently, but they now have a very user friendly reservation page, and reservations can be made up to 60 days in advance.