Drain Plug Socket Size

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by pkd31780, Nov 9, 2013.

1. pkd31780

pkd31780
    Expand Collapse

We have an Atwood Water Heater and are trying to remove the white nylon plug to drain and winterize. What size socket do we need? Can't seem to find the correct size.

Thank you

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

My trailer is covered and winterized. I know I use a socket also...I'm thinking I used a 1/2'' drive extension too, plug might be either 13/16, 7/8 or 15/16... it's a little more than a guess because I really can't check my water heater plug know.

Mike

3. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(pkd31780 @ Nov 9 2013, 11:22 AM) [snapback]35249[/snapback]

We have an Atwood Water Heater and are trying to remove the white nylon plug to drain and winterize. What size socket do we need? Can't seem to find the correct size.

Thank you

I keep a spare plug for my Atwood water heater in my tool kit and it is 7/8". I use a 1/2" drive with an extension bar.

4. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Eventually those plastic plugs get stripped on the head and in the threads. I replaced mine with a brass pressure relief valve. There is no need to remove the entire plug to drain, but it is easy to do with an open end box wrench. It may require taking the plastic plug to a plumbing supply store in order to match size and threads, but it's well worth it.

5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I use CPVC plugs from the local hardware store. At about 50 cents apiece, it's no problem to always have a couple of spares on hand.

6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Just keep in mind if your using the harder plastic or brass replacement plugs, its good to put some teflon tape or teflon pipe dope on the threads when you do your spring de-winterizing.

Mike

7. pkd31780

pkd31780
    Expand Collapse

Thank you all for your input. Why would Atwood design this water heater with a plug so difficult to get to!!!! Smart people with no common sense for sure!

8. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

9. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

If you have an Atwood heater, an anode rod is neither needed, nor advised by the manufacturer.

10. pkd31780

pkd31780
    Expand Collapse

RV is closed! The size tool for the plug was 15/16". Found a long handled wrench at a nearby hardware store that worked perfectly. Thank you all for your help. Between this site and YouTube it wasn't so bad after all. Sooner or later you just need to bite the bullet and learn to do these things to save some money.

11. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pkd31780 @ Nov 11 2013, 07:16 PM) [snapback]35265[/snapback]
    RV is closed! The size tool for the plug was 15/16". Found a long handled wrench at a nearby hardware store that worked perfectly. Thank you all for your help. Between this site and YouTube it wasn't so bad after all. Sooner or later you just need to bite the bullet and learn to do these things to save some money.

I leave the socket right in the HWH by the plug. I always know were it is. Just have to find an extension and socket wrench. LOL.

12. BigCor

BigCor
    Expand Collapse

I have a nylon plug in my heater too. I needed to remove it today, but my crescent wrench is home! I just happened to have a 4 way tire lug nut tool. The largest size 22 mm or 7/8" worked perfectly! Better than a wrench or socket.