Flojet Rv Waste Pump Questions

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by drmcleod, Sep 12, 2008.

1. drmcleod

drmcleod
    Expand Collapse

I am looking for a little help/insight from my more seasoned RV friends on this discussion board.

I have been considering the purchase of a FloJet Waste Pump for a couple of seasons now. The idea of being able to empty, rinse and clean the black tank at the convenience of my own home is very appealing to me. So much so, that I'm even willing to consider the steep price tag which peaks at over $300.

[​IMG]

1) If you have one, are you happy/satisfied with it?
    2) Do you need a master's degree in engineering to install and operate it?
    3) How do I find my sewer clean out at my home? I have a basement, but if it's there than it would be more trouble that it's worth to run 100's of feet of hose to it. Any suggestions?

2. A -n- K

A -n- K
    Expand Collapse

We bought ours from PPL Houston; they're currently listed for $188.97 + shipping. It's installed and wired (I will admit to being electrically challanged); it operates, but we have yet to use it.

I suspect that PPL may not return to doing business for a while after Ike, but there are a couple of other places (search Google) with similar prices.

Andy

3. drmcleod

drmcleod
    Expand Collapse

Thanks A-N-K!

However I do know how and where to get one, but what I'm really wondering is IF I should get one.

4. Vic.

Vic.
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(drmcleod @ Sep 14 2008, 01:54 PM) [snapback]13188[/snapback]

Thanks A-N-K!

However I do know how and where to get one, but what I'm really wondering is IF I should get one.

I’ve had mine a couple months now and it does the job well. It connects to the drain with the same type connector you already use. I first ran two heavy wires direct to the coach batteries with a circuit breaker on the positive wire then connected to the wires provided which hooks to the pump wires. The pump has a connection for a hose to backflush, MAKE SURE it’s closed when draining the tanks. I prefer to dump a couple buckets in the hopper to use as a flush, not saying anything wrong with the backflush. I ran a 50 foot ¾ inch hose on the level to the house hopper having the SO holding it in place. The BR window height lift is about 4-4 ½ foot. The pump has an on/off switch so no pulling connections necessary. I’m making a guess now: if you can see a 3 inch or so pipe going through your foundation, either white plastic or iron, have someone flush a toilet while holding your hand on the pipe and you should feel the water running in the pipe. On this pipe should be a large 3inch or so threaded cap in a position that when loosened and removed you can pour water down the main pipe. Thats your main house drain that can be used. I keep a couple plastic shopping bags handy to wrap the end of the hose with to prevent dripping from the hose to the floor. No eng. degree needed, just common sense which sometimes isn't so common. Good luck.

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Why do that? I went to Camping World and I bought a neat little hose gadget that you attach to the bathroom hose and you stick it down the toilet and clean it that way. Way cheaper!

JJ

6. Vic.

Vic.
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Sep 18 2008, 10:58 AM) [snapback]13239[/snapback]

Why do that? I went to Camping World and I bought a neat little hose gadget that you attach to the bathroom hose and you stick it down the toilet and clean it that way. Way cheaper!

JJ

I’m not sick to my stomach yet but what does one do with the other end of the hose? Being cheap I figure another way to empty the tanks would be into a 5 gallon bucket and empty into the house toilet. :lol:

7. ddbradley952

ddbradley952
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(A -n- K @ Sep 13 2008, 11:30 PM) [snapback]13177[/snapback]

We bought ours from PPL Houston; they're currently listed for $188.97 + shipping. It's installed and wired (I will admit to being electrically challanged); it operates, but we have yet to use it.

I suspect that PPL may not return to doing business for a while after Ike, but there are a couple of other places (search Google) with similar prices.

Andy

Campersworld dot com on line has them for about $49.00

8. Mike and Claudia

Mike and Claudia
    Expand Collapse

Camping World shows them at $ 243; PPL at $ 188.97.

We bought a SEWER SOLUTION several years ago. They go for about $ 100. They use a small 1/8" water stream from the hose to shoot water/poop down a 10' x 1" hose. You can also hook up a regular garden hose to it. IT DOES HAVE TO GO DOWNHILL, but it will work for quite a distance.

You can also reverse the flow of the water jet in case you get paper or poop stopping up the outlet. It has worked good for us. :D

9. drmcleod

drmcleod
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Vic. @ Sep 18 2008, 02:15 PM) [snapback]13245[/snapback]

I figure another way to empty the tanks would be into a 5 gallon bucket and empty into the house toilet. :lol:

Brave, very brave :p

10. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

We camphosted a few years ago in a National Park and used one of these with a 100 foot garden hose to a pit toilet. It worked great.

11. Vic.

Vic.
    Expand Collapse

Tho I don’t use it very often I use a good quality ¾ inch hose which translates to pricy because the hose fittings on the one I use do NOT restrict the hose. The macerator does a excellent job but as we all know shite HAPPENS!

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Vic. @ Sep 18 2008, 10:15 AM) [snapback]13245[/snapback]

I’m not sick to my stomach yet but what does one do with the other end of the hose? Being cheap I figure another way to empty the tanks would be into a 5 gallon bucket and empty into the house toilet. :lol:

Ok, maybe I am mis-understanding what the purpose of the flow-Jet is for. Maybe it's not the same as the small hose I bought. On the gadget I bought, you screw one end of the hose into the bathroom sink, and the other end of the hose gets screwed into something called a "tank wand." (here is an example: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/...tank-wand/14497TankWand )

That's what I use.

JJ