Gas Prices

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by cougarTT, Apr 26, 2007.

1. cougarTT

cougarTT
    Expand Collapse

Can anyone tell me why gas prices always go up during holidays?
    Exxon has made a 9 billion dollar profit just in the first quarter!!!! (CNN Money) :angry:
    What is going on!
    Why wont the US goverment do somthing about this!!
    pretty soon we will not be able to afford to use our Camper,RVs, TT

V/R
    cougarTT
    New at this camping thing!!!

2. omega8

omega8
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(cougarTT @ Apr 26 2007, 10:49 PM) [snapback]6941[/snapback]

Can anyone tell me why gas prices always go up during holidays?
    Exxon has made a 9 billion dollar profit just in the first quarter!!!! (CNN Money) :angry:
    What is going on!
    Why wont the US goverment do somthing about this!!
    pretty soon we will not be able to afford to use our Camper,RVs, TT

V/R
    cougarTT
    New at this camping thing!!!

3. popup6

popup6
    Expand Collapse

I've heard that it's still the fall out from Katrina, but I don't buy that. All I know is I paid 3 bucks a gallon the other day and I thought about towing the camper and how much gas I use doing that
    I go from 18 miles a gallon down to 13!!!!! Memorial weekend is all set, the campsite reserved and paid for. I guess I need to start trying to put some cash away to pay for the gas for the weekend and for our big 2 week trip in August.
    Same thing happened two years ago, I didn't want to pay 1,000 bucks for a dog, found a breeder
    great pups great price, drove 8 hours one way towing the camper, got the pup camped and drove back another 8 hours and by the time I figured in the cost of gas at over 3 bucks a gallon I well paid over $1,000 :(

4. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Everyone has an idea why, but as long as the politicians have money in, hold offices, official and unofficial, and with large amounts of stock, in the oil companies, the oil companies are going to do as they please, with impunity. They are allowed to rip the motoring public for every cent they can acquire. The politicians are not going to bite the hand(s) that are feeding them monetarily in their quest for a position of power and wealth. They have no conscience, the oil companies and or the politicians. These actions will eventually destroy this country's economy, as petroleum , in one form or another, is used as a component in many everyday products. Now, the automobile manufacturers are looking toward vehicles that do not run totally on motor fuels. HELLO, where were they for the last twenty four years ??? The oil embargo of 1973-74 should have sent a strong message to all, that the future was going to demand more motor fuels, but the politicians and the oil companies, again, chose to do nothing. Money and achieved power was the reason, and still is!! A country like the USA, with it's super educated, and know how, should be able to find a way around our present condition as it pertains to motor fuels. Just a thought, but I think the answer is "hydrogen gas". Sorry to get on the "soap box", but thanks for the opportunity to voice my opinion.

5. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Not that this will make the pain any easier but, the profits that Exxon earned is not the biggest growth or earnings out there. There were 36 companies that had a higher growth rate both for the year and over 3 years they were in the top 50 and over 10 years they were one of the lowest. if you want to know the reasons we have such high prices the enviromentalist do not want to have any more refineries built and have worked against them. SO we add to existing ones and when they ahve to shut it down for maintaince you shut the whole thing down not just one refinery and have the other one still producing. You will have fires and other issues when they run at 92% utilization too. There is no give in the system at all and we have not used nuclear power either to free up other oil too. If you look at the weekly numbers there has been huge builds in crude and big drawdowns in gas. Not a good thing. Means we do not have enough refining going on. It is not a problem tha occured overnight and it will take a while to straighten out. And yes if we have a hiccup we could see 4 or 5 dollars a gallon. Another thing you could do is buy a basket of refining sand oil stocks. If they make money so will you and you can sell off a few shares aver quarter and use it to subsidize you.

6. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

John S. You are sbsolutely correct about the oil companies shutting down refineries to create a shortage and raise prices. In fact, they shut down the most efficient refinery they had (in California) a few years ago and sold it to Flying J. This sort of thing will continue as long as we have the "best Congress money can buy." But, of course, I suppose it is all relative. I just returned from New Zealand where the lowest grade gas was $7.00 per gallon.

7. nomad1

nomad1
    Expand Collapse

:wub: No regulationts.
    :eek: Supply and demand.
    :ph34r: Greedy oil companies. :D

8. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

:angry: yeah the oil companies seem to have us where they want us. No real competition here as soon as one gas station changes prices they all do and it's the same price right down to the penny. Sure strange that gas prices are cheaper in Alaska and the Yukon than further south in BC or the US west coast. Unfortunately for us we will all pay a lot more to enjoy RVing.

9. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Perhaps one of these web sites can help?

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations....brand=statefarm

http://www.flyingj.com/

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/new/default_V3.asp

http://www.gastips.com/

http://gasprices.mapquest.com/index.jsp?cid=4_gasprices_mp

I use diesel so flyingj is often my "stop of choice".

QUOTE(Glenn Norton @ May 28 2007, 01:03 AM) [snapback]7155[/snapback]

:angry: yeah the oil companies seem to have us where they want us. No real competition here as soon as one gas station changes prices they all do and it's the same price right down to the penny. Sure strange that gas prices are cheaper in Alaska and the Yukon than further south in BC or the US west coast. Unfortunately for us we will all pay a lot more to enjoy RVing.

10. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi pianotuna,
    I use Diesel for my car and regular gas for my truck. There is no Diesel engine for small trucks in North America. Right now, in our area, 85 km east of Montreal, gas is 1.149$ per litre and Diesel is 0.949$ per litre.

11. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi wprigge,

You might find flying J You can check the prices for diesel in Quebec here:

http://www.flyingj.com/fuel/diesel_CF.cfm?state=QC

They are branded as Shell rather than FlyingJ in the west--but the receipt says Flying J

The whole flying J site is at:

http://www.flyingj.com/

I'm paying 85.9 at flying J for diesel. The other stations all charge 94.9 for diesel.

The local gas stations charge 121.9 for regular unleaded.

Nice to hear from a fellow Canadian!

QUOTE(wprigge @ May 28 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]7157[/snapback]

Hi pianotuna,
    I use Diesel for my car and regular gas for my truck. There is no Diesel engine for small trucks in North America. Right now, in our area, 85 km east of Montreal, gas is 1.149$ per litre and Diesel is 0.949$ per litre.

12. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi Pianotuna,

The nearest Flying J is 90 km away from us, so going there to buy Diesel fuel is not practical. Before going on a trip, I always check the prices at Flying J and with Gas Buddy.

As our daughter lives in Ottawa and we go there frequently with our car, I buy most of my fuel at a truck stop in Ontario. Right now Diesel is 0.874$ per litre there. On the way back home I fill the car to the brim, and then I'm ok for over 1000 km on the tank. A nice way to keep the average down and beat the gas companies at there own game.

To Butch:
    Did you know that the word "politics" is a compound of two words? Poli is from the Greek language and means many, and tics is from the French language and means bloodsuckers....

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We can't answer the original question of why gas prices go up around holidays. However, here is a report on the gas prices we encountered on our recent trip.

When we started out in Texas in late March the price was around $2.539. It gradually increased and by the time we got home 2 months later it was up to $3.099. The cheapest was near Knoxville, TN at $2.529 in early April. (But it had gone to $2.769 on the return trip.) It took a big jump in mid April in western Virginia to $2.679 and again in eastern VA to $2.879 at the end of April. It came down a little back through TN, but continued to increase after that. We mostly used Flying J. Our biggest frustration was stopping for gas at one place and then seeing it several cents cheaper a few miles down the road. Many times we noticed Wal-Mart was cheaper, but their pumps are sometimes hard to get to in a big rig.

We wanted to make up for the increase in gas prices by staying at cheaper RV parks. But it sure seemed like those have gone up to. A year ago we were paying from $30-40 for a park with the amenities we like. This year the same type of park was over $40.

This won't stop us from traveling, but we may not go as often or as far in the future. Hope the rest of you are finding good prices wherever you are.

14. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

The answer as to why gas $$ go up on Holidays is:

Because they can.

15. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member