Hello from Newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by A Adams, May 2, 2018.

1. A Adams

A Adams
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I am a newbie to the rv travel word, but am giving series thought to selling our home and becoming a full time Rver. As a test, to see if my wife and I would like the situation, I am considering renting a 30-35 foot class A and travel up to Newport RI area as our anniversary is coming up in Sept and we usually travel up that way yearly for our anniversary. I have looked at several reviews in this forum and see some that look like they would fill the bill, however, it would be nice if you could communicate with the travelers leaving the review to ask other questions. Is there a way to email travelers who have left reviews. Is there another web site that I could tie into as a newbie to communicate with others who have a lot of experience or possible other full timers?

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi and welcome to the forum. Embarking on a new adventure can be exciting for sure. And as you have decided it is wise to rent that Class A so as to find out if this is something you really want to do. There will be a big learning curve to go thru and many things you will have to become accustomed to before you head on out as a full time RVer. We are not full timers but we do get in a fair amount of time on the road and we are always continuing to learn. Take your time, ask lots of questions of the members on this forum, many of whom are full timers with years of experience that they will be most happy to share with you. I know a couple or more that will no doubt be posting in this thread as soon as they read your post above. Great bunch of folks and loads of info and reviews to look at that will help get you started. Good luck with your initial trial run trip, If you haven't ever driven a Class A by all means take a few lessons with an instructor before you head out on your own. It is a whole different animal compared to a camper or even a Class C unit so just be careful, one step at a time...........

Happy travels, BankShot...................(aka Terry)

#2 BankShot, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

A member can contact other members through our private messaging system which is called "Conversations." To use this feature:

In the upper right corner there is an envelope beside your username. Click on it and then on Start a New Conversation.

On the next screen enter the name of the member you wish to contact. Be sure you choose the correct name and spell it correctly.

Enter a title for the conversation.

Type your message in the text box

When you have finished your message, click on Start a Conversation underneath the text box.

Your message will be sent to the other member's email address and entered into your list of Conversations. In order for the other member to reply to you, he will need to log into the site and go to the Conversations feature where he will be able to answer your message. When he does this, his reply will be sent to your email and then you must access the Conversations feature to reply.

Members cannot reply directly to each other through email. They must go through the Conversations feature to contact each other.

Using this feature does not display your email address or that of the other participants. The correspondence is private and anonymous (except for the member's username). Only the participants receive the messages see the conversation on our website.

4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Hello A Adams and welcome to RV Park Reviews. I believe you have come to the right place for information you might need. I'm sure you will find the folks here to be friendly and willing to add their two cents to most any questions you may have.

Because you are new to the RV world, I would suggest you to go slowly and make sure your plan is well though out. I'm not aware of what size of your home is now but I'm willing to bet it's probably a lot bigger than the 300 to 400 sqft your one on wheels will be. As a consolation though, your back yard will grow immeasurably. Living full time in an RV can feel like you are a long term vacation and there are some folks that require a home base to rest up from said vacations. Don't sell the stick and brick until you are sure you are ready.

We are somewhat new to being without a stick and brick but have spent the last 45 years enjoying the country starting out with a tent and finally moving up to a small A Class. The "culture shock" of becoming nomads was not so great for us.

I recommend that you might want to test all the options before deciding on the type of rig you really want. There are pros and cons for all types of rigs so before you spend a large wad we suggest you check out Travel Trailers, 5th Wheels, B C and A Class Motor homes and then make your choice. We love our Shorty Class A but it is not everyone's cup of tea.

We hope to see some reviews of the parks you visit and hope your stays are enjoyable and don't be shy about asking questions. We were all in your position once.

Good luck

Darrel & Jerry

5. A Adams

A Adams
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much for your reply. Where would I be able to find an instructor for a couple of lessons on driving a Class A motorhome?

6. A Adams

A Adams
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate anyone giving me advise, especially when it comes from their own past experiences.

7. A Adams

A Adams
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate this information.

docj likes this.
  8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum!

I've towed a Travel trailer for 20 yrs now and can't agree anymore on the taking it slow part, were both 55 so we got a few more years to retirement and to be honest I have MUCH more to learn when we transition into a differant type of RV, I'll be asking a ton of questions also.

Love the Newport RI area, Fisherman's Memorial Campground is our favorite go to spot! :cool:

Mike