Help a new comer :-)

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by nanc1061, Aug 9, 2020.

1. nanc1061

nanc1061
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone!
    I just got my first travel trailer this past week. I mainly got it for traveling with my pups to AKC events, but I also want to travel around the country. Since there aren't many AKC events at the moment due to COVID I just want to get out and enjoy it and learn what I"m doing!! The dogs will also have to get used to this so I'm looking for somewhere to go where there are possibly larger sites than I'm seeing. I realize barking dogs would not be welcomed, but it may take a couple trips to get them used to it. I'm in NJ so I'm thinking Pa, NY State, even Del or MD. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated it! Thanks!!!

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Welcome to the RVing community. Many RVers enjoy using State parks because the site sizes are generally larger than in commercial parks. Of course, in the current COVID-19 climate there are operating restrictions ongoing at many parks. We have tried our best to indicate these on our park listings.

You can filter the parks in our database according to attributes you select. For example, the database shows that there are 392 park listings in PA, but if you filter for State parks that number reduces to 44. That way you can easily look through those listings to see if there is one that appeals to you. You could also add a Pet Area to your filter list; it is listed under amenities.

Once you have found a park that seems worth investigating, reading through its reviews will help you get a sense of whether it would work for you. Perhaps you will see comments pro or con from other pet owners. Sooner or later you will find one worth trying.

Kevin765 likes this.
  3. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Hello & welcome to Campground Reviews! Congratulations on your new camper. You've got to be so excited. Are you able to "camp" in it at home, even if just for a night or a weekend? With all this COVID stuff going on, many RV'rs (me included) have stayed in our RV's without going anywhere father than our driveways. Gives you a chance to use your systems & would also give your pups a chance to check out your new camper in familiar surroundings/smells.

4. nanc1061

nanc1061
    Expand Collapse

Thanks so much for both the great responses!! I'm very excited and will take a look at the database here. Yes, I think testing it out on my own property is a great idea. Seems like so much to learn just operating everything in the trailer. I'm pretty confident I have a pretty good idea...lol...but checking it out while still at home is probably the best way to go!! Thanks again, and I look forward to learning more on here as well!

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to Campground reviews and this forum. My parents discovered the benefits of bringing an RV to dog shows back in the 1969s. They raised St. Bernards back then and it was much easier to go back to the motorhome after each show, rather than try to load everything in our station wagon. We even stayed overnight in front of Madison Square Garden during a dog show since the meters were free on weekends.

What dogs do you show?

--chris g.

Kevin765 likes this.
  6. nanc1061

nanc1061
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Chris!
    I have Great Danes :) My one girl is a Grand Ch, but no more breed ring for me!! I show my boy in AKC competition Rally Obedience! Your parents must have had some nice Saints if you were in front of the Garden...Westminster?