HELP WANTED! Seeking RV campground for Big Rig that is closest to Yosemite Valley

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by The Vadakins, Jan 12, 2017.

1. The Vadakins

The Vadakins
    Expand Collapse

We are planning a trip to Yosemite Valley in June 2017 and are having a hard time finding a campground located within 30 minutes of the Valley that will accommodate our 45' motorhome... from the reviews, it looks like we might have trouble maneuvering within the campgrounds due to tight turns, scraping branches, limited slide availability due to trees. We looked at the Lower Pines campground but not sure if it will fit our unit along with small tow car. When we speak with someone at the campground or National Parks, they say they are "not sure", which leads me to believe it is probably something we should not attempt. Does anyone have any experience staying anywhere close to the Valley in a Big Rig? If so, please share!
    Thank you!!
    Lisa and Steve

2. mikel

mikel
    Expand Collapse

We've not stayed there, we stayed at a horrible little place outside Yosemite, about 45 miles. I don't know if this helps, we stayed in Lodge Pole in Sierra National Park, The Grand Canyon, Yellow Stone and others. Some of them have generator laws and rules you might want to look at, but the twisting park grounds weren't built for the larger RVs. Back when we stayed we had a 40' 5th wheel. Backing that in was an ordeal. Most there were travel trailers and tin can tourist types, and of course tents everywhere with smokey campfires. We have a 40' motorhome now and tow a Jeep. If you can get a good view of their map it probably won't be that bad. Just as long as your used to driving through that type of country. If you're daring, like we never plan to be, but happens, your motorhome can maneuver more than you think. Heck I'd give it try. We couldn't get in the time we tried it was booked. GOOD LUCK!!!!

3. mikel

mikel
    Expand Collapse

Check the NPS website. Lower Pines: RV's up to 40'. I'd Call them again.

4. franklyn4

franklyn4
    Expand Collapse

Old post, but you might find some great info-- blog.elmonterv.com/index.php/2009/10/rv-camping-in-and-around-yosemite-national-park/