How to find an RV Resort with wired internet on each site?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by CWTipper, Jun 19, 2022.

1. CWTipper

CWTipper
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone

I've read that some resorts have internet at each site - not just the communal wifi. (Have to be careful, it auto corrected to wife!)

But, I've not been able to find one here, at Good Sam, KOA and Thousand Trails. Anybody got any ideas who to find one?

Thanks in advance

Christopher

2. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

Never seen such a setup. Closest would be some of the resorts with individually owned sites have cable TV wired to the sites and the owners contract directly with the cable company for services that can include broadband cable. Outdoor Resorts-Indio California is one I have personal knowledge of. Owners do rent sites, but you are going to pay nosebleed prices in the winter and cook in the summer.

Paythebill likes this.
  3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

i think you will be hard pressed to find hard-wired internet in any RV park/resort. if my memory is at all accurate (questionable), i remenber the early ninties as being mostly dialup, then a year or two of wired routers, followed very quickly by wireless routers. the wired router time period was so short, that i doubt that any RV park would have taken the time/effort to wire their park with this new tech.

plus, wires and cables are suseptable to water and lightning strikes, making a setup like that very high maintenance.

i could be totally wrong here, other campers feel free to correct me.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

How to find an RV Resort with wired internet on each site?
    I guess we will never know the answer to CWTipper's question...:(

5. The Aboud-Tians

The Aboud-Tians
    Expand Collapse

I suspect that very few if any RV sites that cater to weekend warrior camper will have wired Internet. I'm a wired/wireless network engineer and the cabling, wiring and network equipment required to provide an RV site with reliable coverage would easily cost a million dollars - and that's not even including ongoing maintenance costs and tech support. Add to the cost of supporting customers with all sorts of cheap Walmart grade networking equipment and trying to fix everyone's desktop connections would be a nightmare.

6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I don't know of any search tool that would find them, but I think newkcmoedoe hit on it. There are parks that allow long term guests to make their own arrangements with the local cable company, but finding which ones would take some effort to contact them individually. There's likely too little demand to warrant making it a search criteria.

Paythebill likes this.