I Can't Wait For Someone To Review This Park!!!

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by DXSMac, Dec 18, 2012.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Found this on another forum:

http://www.ndindoorrvpark.com/index.php?page=faqs

Can't wait to see someone send in a review!

"Although we were toasty inside the heated buildings, the neighbors were too close to us. And the view was horrible, nothing to look at. No room for our slideouts."

So, is anyone convinced to "winter" in North Dakota? Doubt it, I also heard this park is already full and has a waiting list.

2. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

Some people do like to ice fish and snow mobile but I am not one of them. :p

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

More likely a review will read, "Man! This place sure beats the heck out of freezing my butt off like I did here last winter while pulling in the big bucks in the shale oil fields." There's an extreme housing shortage in the area, and RV sites are at a premium year round.

4. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Dutch_12078 @ Dec 18 2012, 10:30 PM) [snapback]32207[/snapback]

More likely a review will read, "Man! This place sure beats the heck out of freezing my butt off like I did here last winter while pulling in the big bucks in the shale oil fields." There's an extreme housing shortage in the area, and RV sites are at a premium year round.

You mite be right. A friend of mine said the 1500 watt heaters we use down her in Florida is not much good in a fifth wheel up there. He was there all winter last year. :rolleyes:

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ Dec 18 2012, 07:42 PM) [snapback]32208[/snapback]

You mite be right. A friend of mine said the 1500 watt heaters we use down her in Florida is not much good in a fifth wheel up there. He was there all winter last year. :rolleyes:

And I would agree with your friend. I notice that one 1500 watt heater does just fine as long as the temperature doesn't get below 40 degrees. If it gets below 40, gotta supplement with the furnace and USE PROPANE, OH NO!

6. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I am amazed they didn't call it an Rv Resort as the term is used rather loosly.

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

This is right near the Balkkens shale oil formations and there is a huge housing shortage, The McDonalds in Willingston starts at $15/hour with a sign on bonus. Oil workers can make 6 figures. People are sleeping in their cars. Shifts are 12 hours and the alternative is the "man camps' which supply closet size rooms. This would be a great alternative for these oil workers. We were through there several years ago and it is one of the most bustling areas in the US. There are many makeshift RV parks. It is really rough in those temps. I think there will be more of these built up there unless the EPA regulates fracking to death. I'll bet these are real expensive. Cheap hotel rooms are $100 plus per night.

8. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Dec 19 2012, 09:48 AM) [snapback]32212[/snapback]

I am amazed they didn't call it an Rv Resort as the term is used rather loosly.

Depending on size and time of year. 1000,00 to 1350.00 a month so there web site says.

'Wink' date='Dec 19 2012, 05:29 PM' post='32218']
    Depending on size and time of year. 1000,00 to 1350.00 a month so there web site says.

I can go down to around 25 with one 1500 watt heater but that is above zero not below. :rolleyes:

9. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

It is 3413 btu's per 1000 watts. The ratings on heaters are....variable. It is best to use a kill-a-watt meter to do real time measurements of the wattage.

The delta T, for my Class C, with 9980 btu's of electric heaters, between outside and inside the RV appears to be 23.2C. For example the temperature out side is -8.2 C (17.24 f) and the temperature inside the RV is 15 C (59 f).

This suggests about 430 Btu's per 1 degree C delta T, or about 126 watts of heating.

Here is a calculator so that a cost comparison can be made:

electric vs propane

10. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I'm curious, though, why only 5th wheels, no motor homes or POP-UPS?

11. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

With all this calculating did we forget that all RV`s are not insulated the same? I know for a fact that the one we have now will stay a lot warmer than the last one I had with the same heater I used in it.Even it being a bigger RV. :rolleyes:

12. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ Dec 22 2012, 01:42 AM) [snapback]32251[/snapback]

I'm curious, though, why only 5th wheels, no motor homes or POP-UPS?

As I recall from various articles about the indoor park, motorhomes are not permitted by state law, something about the fuel tanks I believe. I think they said pop-ups are not permitted since most are not self contained. 5'vers and TT's are connected to an external LP supply, and their on board LP cylinders are removed and stored in a separate storage facility.

13. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

In regard to the "why no motorhomes" question: Imagine somebody running their MH engine for 10 or 20 minutes inside one of these structures. Even with good venilation, that is a very dangerous situation. Think of how many folks have died or almost died running the car inside their garage.

14. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

What surprises me most is them allowing propane use inside the building. I would have though an RV furnace would put out at least some CO external to the RV.

15. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Dec 22 2012, 11:49 PM) [snapback]32257[/snapback]

Hi,

What surprises me most is them allowing propane use inside the building. I would have though an RV furnace would put out at least some CO external to the RV.

Possibly they have sufficient ventilation to handle that? My understanding about motorhomes is that the legal issue was the fire hazard from fuel tanks, rather than running engines.

16. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Pianotuna, I'm surprised you didn't get picked to be on Big Bang Theory. Did you mess up your audition? :D :D I just get tickled when you come up with the "technical" side of things.

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Dec 21 2012, 08:53 PM) [snapback]32250[/snapback]

Hi,

It is 3413 btu's per 1000 watts. The ratings on heaters are....variable. It is best to use a kill-a-watt meter to do real time measurements of the wattage.

The delta T, for my Class C, with 9980 btu's of electric heaters, between outside and inside the RV appears to be 23.2C. For example the temperature out side is -8.2 C (17.24 f) and the temperature inside the RV is 15 C (59 f).

This suggests about 430 Btu's per 1 degree C delta T, or about 126 watts of heating.

Here is a calculator so that a cost comparison can be made:

electric vs propane

17. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

18. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Dec 26 2012, 08:41 AM) [snapback]32274[/snapback]

Here's another interesting link on furnaces propane vs electric. I figure the 40,000 btu f=urnace in my RV is probably 60% efficient.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6645117_propane-...eaters-rvs.html
    That article is very misleading.

It says "... a propane RV heater is more economical than an electric RV heater. It costs more than two times as much to use electric RV heaters as it does to use propane." That is true only if propane is much cheaper than it is now and electricity is much more expensive than rates in much of the country.

For a scientific analysis of the cost of heating with various fuels, use this spreadsheet provided by the US Department of Energy: Heating Fuel Comparison Calculator

Plug in your own per-gallon cost of propane and KiloWatt-hour cost of electricity.

19. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

I'm glad I tickle you pink! (it also happens to be my favorite color).

I'm sending Seasons Greetings to all my net friends and hope they get their "hearts" desire for gifts.

I already know what JJ wants most and have lite a candle to help that happen.