Internet In Motion

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bud in Florida, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I saw a new product at the Tampa RV show called Internet in Motion. It uses cell phone towers to give you always on internet connections. It uses EV-DO technologies. You buy their cellular router and have an antenna installed on top of your motor coach and then get a device from your choice of cellphone companies and you get internet while you are riding down the road. Can even take it out and use it at home. Does anyone have any experience with this technology? Their web site is www.internetinmotion.net It is not cheap and you have to have it installed. Any help would be appreciated.

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Bud,

While I'm sure the "Internet in motion" folks make a good product you can get the same sort of set up for many dollars less. Check with your local cell phone provider.

3. rvingwithkids

rvingwithkids
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Bud in Florida @ Feb 7 2008, 08:17 PM) [snapback]10190[/snapback]

I saw a new product at the Tampa RV show called Internet in Motion. It uses cell phone towers to give you always on internet connections. It uses EV-DO technologies. You buy their cellular router and have an antenna installed on top of your motor coach and then get a device from your choice of cellphone companies and you get internet while you are riding down the road. Can even take it out and use it at home. Does anyone have any experience with this technology? Their web site is www.internetinmotion.net It is not cheap and you have to have it installed. Any help would be appreciated.

Bud, I agree with pianotuna, you can accomplish the same goal alot cheaper with a cellular modem or pda cellphone that will share the signal over wifi. A cellular repeater with an external antenna might get you a better signal in some places but you'll still have allot of dead spots.

The only solution for internet anywhere is satellite, but that doesn't work going down the road. It does if you stop and launch the dish though. (Very expensive)

The only solution for internet going down the road is cellular, which is what EVDO is, but you have to choose a side and hope for good fast coverage where you really want it.

It is nice that more and more RV Parks are installing WiFi.

Good luck with your internet

4. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the comments. I am currently researching an alternate solution. Internet in Motion is over $1800 installed and satellite is over $5000. I just need to get on the internet in most places so my wife can work. Don't need it while in motion as much as while at rest.

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Bud,

We use Verizon cell phone service and can add EDVO on the cell phone at a high cost if you are in correct place that has a cell tower on this system. Remember not all cell towers have this set up yet. Verizon will not tell you this information. Check into an air card that goes inside your laptop, this will work. Lots of information on web sites about this trick.

6. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Bud you can get a portable dish for about $1800.00 That is a heck of a lot cheaper than mounting it on your MH.
    Personally I don't see what you get to makes The InMotion it worth the money they get for it. Un less I misunderstand it is no more than an air card with an antenna.

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Hi Bud
    Like John Blue, we utilize Verizon for couple cel phones and "air card" broadband for bundled monthly of $80. No extra antennas needed. Been 'test-driving' this system for this our first year full-timing...no complaints.

Depends on how remote you guys live/park, however we've had good reception from the boonies of southern Iowa to boonies of southern CA/Arizona deserts. HAVE used it while on the road (Interstates) for short bursts. Now granted...I'm not trying to send Excel spreadsheets or Power-Point presentations while on the road. Usually just trying to find alternative RV parks or checking road conditions.

Couple places we've stayed have no Verizon service (Outdoor Resorts @ Aguanga California, and couple Virgin River RV parks in Utah), thus no broadband service. I had to figure out WiFi finally in Utah to stay in touch.

True test of reception will be this year: want to head north into Alaska...regardless of whom they voted for in the primaries. Ha! :p

8. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Thanks all-- I think I'll go with a less expensive rig than IIM. Seems you can get a lot of the same features for around $500

9. gray ghost

gray ghost
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Bud in Florida @ Feb 12 2008, 07:35 AM) [snapback]10237[/snapback]

Thanks all-- I think I'll go with a less expensive rig than IIM. Seems you can get a l toot of the same features for around $500

How about 69.00 a month for a verizon broadband connection... Ours is National broadband USB 720 We can get on-line going down the hwy and have yet been unable to get connected in a park or on the road. Check it out with Verizen

10. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

On several occassions during the year, I am a work camper who absolutely has to have Internet connection to do my particular job. The cost of a reliable connection is not an issue with me but the bottom line for the profit/loss statement is. Since the cost of satellite Internet equipment is ridiculous and impacts considerable on my profit, I have chosen to go with two methods that are 99.9% reliable. The first is a cell phone air card. My particular provider is Verizon, but all major brands provide the same type system. It’s just a matter of national coverage need for your particular situation that sets them apart. The second method involves staying at campgrounds that have reliable WI-FI service. I test their signal at the farthest end of the campground before committing to a stay. Most of the time, they have been accurate in defending their system as “really good.” If not, I leave and find a spot next to a cell tower.

EV-DO is a term for high-speed broadband Internet access using an air card. Regardless of the cell company, or its particular term for it, in most metropolitan cities the connection is high speed. That’s because there is a larger customer base to pay for the company’s added expense of providing it. However, if you are not in a metro area, you will find that typical speeds for air cards to only be about 3 times as fast as the fastest dial up. As one thread suggested, don’t expect to send or receive high megabyte files with any efficiency. It’s fine for normal email and internet browsing if you have a bit of patience to wait for a page download.

I have a background in electronics and it appalls me I see these companies attempt to take advantage of those who don’t really understand the technology that they over charge for. Several individuals in this thread that have provided some less expensive but equally reliable alternatives. Bud, you were wise to ask.

11. juancferrer

juancferrer
    Expand Collapse

I have the sprint SERO plan for $35 a month, and I just plug my phone into my laptop (or use bluetooth), and you get basically the same thing as this $1800 rip off. You get EVDO speeds in most areas, and it kicks back to the slow service anywhere else. I was copiloting on I-20 near Birmingham on my way to Atlanta going about 80mph, and watching a streaming movie online. All the sudden my dad called me on Skype, and I was talking to him and watching the movie at the same time, all without any delay. I was getting almost 1.5mbps!!! Definitely worth it.

just go to http://www.sprint.com/sero use savings@sprintemi.com as the email