La To San Francisco - Where Oh Where To Stay??

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by lecouteur, Jul 3, 2012.

1. lecouteur

lecouteur
    Expand Collapse

Hi
    I am renting a 32ft slide out motorhome in LA and plan to drive it (with wife and kids inside) to San Francisco in the second week of August. Would be really interested to hear any route suggestions and must see / must stay recommendations.
    Also, do I need to reserve RV parks in advance and (if so) how far?
    It is my first RV experience (noob RV'er) so any tis welcome.
    Thanks in advance

2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(lecouteur @ Jul 3 2012, 03:01 PM) [snapback]29897[/snapback]

Hi
    I am renting a 32ft slide out motorhome in LA and plan to drive it (with wife and kids inside) to San Francisco in the second week of August. Would be really interested to hear any route suggestions and must see / must stay recommendations.
    Also, do I need to reserve RV parks in advance and (if so) how far?
    It is my first RV experience (noob RV'er) so any tis welcome.
    Thanks in advance

I would never do any other route than highway 101. If you are heading back to LA from Frisco then I would take the Freeway north to SF and the take 101 south and take a leisurely tour back. But if you are dropping off in SF taking it north is better than not doing it at all. Some nice parks around Monterey, Morrow Bay, Ventura etc. Check the reviews for what suits you. Reserve ASAP.

Enjoy your trip!

3. mikel

mikel
    Expand Collapse

Reserve ASAP. We stayed in Pacifica last time in that area. I believe it was SF RV Resort. Kind of a parking lot on a cliff above the ocean, great sunsets though. It was close to everything. There's a pool located centrally in the park. Some people complain about the size of the spaces, and yes they are small, but definitely maneuverable but if you're not staying hold up in you RV all day who cares. The facilities were clean, the pool was nice and if your in good enough shape there's access to the ocean, or there was when I was there a couple of years ago.

As for what to do, there's loads. Shopping, site seeing, history, people watching also a pretty good music scene. Clubs where Rancid, Social Distortion, Green Day and others played earlier in their careers. Hunt for what you like.

4. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

We like the Hearst Castle, while there. There is a nice state park/campground located at San Simeon. Do not try to take the RV up through the Big Sur country as that is not a road for RVs. San Antonio Reservoir also has a very nice county park/campground.

Paso Robles also has some nice parks and very interesting old missions to see. There is also the big mission at San Luis Obispo. Pinnacles Natl. Monument is very interesting but the campground is primitive. Monterey area is great and has a lot to see. The aquarium is of special interest. Santa Cruz is a town that we have always enjoyed visiting, but RV parks in that area are pretty pricy. There is a nice redwood state park in that area.