LED strip Light Under Canopy

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by The Travellers, Mar 5, 2018.

1. The Travellers

The Travellers
    Expand Collapse

Any ideas where we can find a cheap replacement for this? ours is done, naturally just after the end of warranty. We are in the Ottawa Ontario area.

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We bought one of these at Camping World down here in the states but I don't know if you have those up there? I would think that just about any RV supply store would have them. No matter, I have seen them on many websites and also at Home Depot stores. They are available in many different lengths and one I saw was a "cut to length" type. We use one in the house during the Christmas holidays and it even changes colors if we want it to.............

Regards, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

3. The Travellers

The Travellers
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for that, unfortunately there don't appear to be any Camping Worlds here in Canada. The RV places want an arm and a leg for anything 'RV' it seems. I will have to try other places.

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

With that in mind it might be best to just go online and check on buying one there. I know there are many different types, etc. and some are offered at decent prices...............

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

You can buy on-line from Camping World. Just be aware......once you make a purchase, you end up getting a lot of their, and Good Sam, advertising. As with any store, check pricing. They may not always have the best price.

Darrell & Jerry

6. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Be aware that shipping costs to Canada are pretty steep. I was looking at purchasing one item on sale at Camping World for around $20 and the shipping cost was more than that. In addition there are brokerage fees to cover the taxes. On one item I did get shipped from the States I was charged $10 to collect just over $2 in taxes.

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  7. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Thanks OMT. I should have added that. But honestly, the spam bothered me more.

Darrell & Jerry

BankShot likes this.
  8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Spam bothers me now also Darrell. I use to be able to eat lots of it. Spam & eggs, Spam sandwiches, you name it, if it contained Spam I would eat it. Now however I've gotten a bad taste in my mouth for it and can't stomach it anymore. Wonder why that it is.............???

Sorry, didn't mean to spam up this thread but I simply couldn't resist........:D Must have been the leftover coffee I drank this morning.........:rolleyes:

Terry.............(aka BankShot)

Paythebill and Rollin Ollens like this.
  9. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

No worries. Speaking of spam, after I signed up for their "newsletter" I have been getting several messages a day from CW. Just another form of brainwashing.:eek:

10. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I use an LED rope light and some binder clips to hold them in place. Cheap, easy and avail able in seasonal colors if you are so inclined ;)

Fun finders likes this.
  11. The Travellers

The Travellers
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the info... and wise cracking. The RV dealer we deal with up here in Ottawa has started carrying a stick on brand which is a reasonable $75 CDN installed. Dometic wanted half the cost of a 16 ft awning just to replace the LED strip in our awning. The manufacturers are using substandard parts a lot of the time and pushing their product out the door. Planned obsolescence for sure. Our dealer doesn't like it when his customers get hosed or come back on him bitchin.
    Now I know we are fortunate to deal with a good dealer... I've seen some that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.
    ... anyway mid June and we are out here!

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  12. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Hey Terry. Maybe you need to take your better half to Hawaii for a visit. We were there a few years ago and you can get Spam everywhere....even McDonalds has it. You can learn to like it all over again....it's actually not all that bad. :)

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  13. BillyThib

BillyThib
    Expand Collapse

Hey Heather and Klaus, we own an RV Service Center and saw these in one of our supplier catalogs. Looks like the standard length is about 16' and you can join two together on the same controller and can cut to length every third set. It is a PSA on the back of it but by the next morning had fallen off so I came back with two-sided body tape, expensive but it is never going to self-eject again. Funny 'cause I have installed this on other coaches with no issues, just mine. Rather than use the transformer (Power Supply) I poked through the wall and connected it to a lamp circuit in the cabinet. It is controlled by remote so no issues there. Enjoy!

Paythebill likes this.
  14. Daniel-J

Daniel-J
    Expand Collapse

Have you ever tried to see something like this on Amazon? Perhaps at other similar shops, you'll be delivered at the right time. Sure, it's a matter of time before it takes, but it's a solution.