Leds And Rfi With Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by n1vwd, Jul 25, 2011.

1. n1vwd

n1vwd
    Expand Collapse

I am considering changing my lights over to LEDs but have heard that they cause RFI on amateur radios. Has this problem been resolved and if so which brands are RFI free??

Thank you for all replies in advance.

Brad N1VWD

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Brad,

It is a "catch 22". If you buy led's that do not have a "buck" voltage controller RFI is lower. However, they burn out. damik.

Currently the "best lumen for the amp-hour" is tubular fluorescent. Coincidentally they are also the "best bang for the buck". I can't speak to RFI and such fixtures.

3. Meyer Camping

Meyer Camping
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jul 27 2011, 07:01 AM) [snapback]26932[/snapback]

Hi Brad,

It is a "catch 22". If you buy led's that do not have a "buck" voltage controller RFI is lower. However, they burn out. damik.

Currently the "best lumen for the amp-hour" is tubular fluorescent. Coincidentally they are also the "best bang for the buck". I can't speak to RFI and such fixtures.

I don't know about the RFI but I do have concerns about putting a compact fluorescent in my travel trailer. I am concerned with the vibration and shock from traveling causing a failure and the bulb breaking. Every last one of these things contains mercury. Not very much but enough for the manufacturers to recommend that you evacuate the house/RV and use haz-mat procedures to find and clean up the debris. As I understand it, you don't need very much exposure to mercury to cause significant problems. :eek: This is not something that I am interested in!

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

The thinlite tubes have been used for many years in RV's. I've never seen a thread about one breaking, or even burning out.

If you have fillings in your teeth likely they are a far greater source of mercury.

5. Meyer Camping

Meyer Camping
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Aug 1 2011, 01:23 AM) [snapback]27015[/snapback]

Hi,

The thinlite tubes have been used for many years in RV's. I've never seen a thread about one breaking, or even burning out.

If you have fillings in your teeth likely they are a far greater source of mercury.

Pianotuna, thanks for pointing that out. I should have distinguished between the regular fluorescent lights that use a ballast and the kind that screw into a Type A mount which are commonly called the compact fluorescent. Any fluorescent bulb that requires a ballast should not contain mercury. As for the fillings, I have heard that also but my dentist doesn't require any haz-mat procedures when I crack a filling. Next time I go in for my semi-annual gripe session about me not flossing enough I intend to ask him about this. :(

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Unfortunately the ones using a ballast also have mercury in them.

7. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Our motorhome has ten fluorescent lamps with 20 tubes in all. Not one time have we had one broken. They work great and last a long time, some as long as 16 years now with no burn out. Very small amounts of current to run them.

8. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi John,

You are breaking my heart! I wanted to replace my thin lights with LED's--but not until they burned out, or failed. 16 years? :(

QUOTE(John Blue @ Aug 1 2011, 08:39 AM) [snapback]27019[/snapback]

Our motorhome has ten fluorescent lamps with 20 tubes in all. Not one time have we had one broken. They work great and last a long time, some as long as 16 years now with no burn out. Very small amounts of current to run them.