Looking For Ocean Camping

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by rv1, May 22, 2011.

1. rv1

rv1
    Expand Collapse

I looking for good ocean front camping. We have been turtle beach campground in sarasota FL. also been to apache campground in myrtle beach. Looking for something new I looked at some reviews but its not as good as the forum. We live in IL. so the west coast to far for a weeks vacation. We love the campgrounds that are right on the ocean. With the zillion of miles the members have logged in on this site I thought this would be the best place for info.

2. D.J.Tiessen

D.J.Tiessen
    Expand Collapse

Too bad the west coast isn't an option for you. We just stayed at the Sea Perch RV Resort, in Oregon....right on the beach, very clean, wonderful clubhouse and very friendly staff. No cell phone in this locale but they give you free long distance phone calls, to compensate. B)

3. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

Assateague Island in Maryland. There are two campgounds. A state and a national. The state park has a loop with water and electric, but do not allow dogs in the park.

The national is dry camping only. They have either ocean or bay front camping. Bay front allows gen. at certain times of the day. They allow dogs.

Ocean City Md. Frontier Town is bay front, if you can get a reservation. Castaway's also.

Mytle Beach you already know about. We like Lakewood and Myrtle Beach Travel Park.

4. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rv1 @ May 22 2011, 10:18 AM) [snapback]26168[/snapback]

I looking for good ocean front camping. We have been turtle beach campground in sarasota FL. also been to apache campground in myrtle beach. Looking for something new I looked at some reviews but its not as good as the forum. We live in IL. so the west coast to far for a weeks vacation. We love the campgrounds that are right on the ocean. With the zillion of miles the members have logged in on this site I thought this would be the best place for info.

If you are comming to the East coast of Florida, we like Beverly Beach Camptown.

5. HaveDieselWillTravel

HaveDieselWillTravel
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rv1 @ May 22 2011, 09:18 AM) [snapback]26168[/snapback]

This campground in Destin, Fl is great and the water is more beautiful than any mentioned.

Destin

6. rv1

rv1
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HaveDieselWillTravel @ May 23 2011, 05:55 PM) [snapback]26187[/snapback]

This campground in Destin, Fl is great and the water is more beautiful than any mentioned.
    Destin

Thanks for the suggestion but I looked in this park yes it's the closest to the ocean but for $185 a night it would be cheaper to fly & stay in a hotel on the beach

7. campswithdogs

campswithdogs
    Expand Collapse

Frontier Town in Ocean City MD. Have stayed there a few times. The closest to ocean front is more like the bay but, the breezes are great (during May at least). Assateague Island is also an option like the other posting says, though they don't allow dogs on the beach. I also found it to be very "buggy" there. we did visit for the day and walked the dogs on the portion of the beach where they are permitted, on a leash. There are certain times that they ARE allowed on the beach, and I believe that's pretty much like every other place,..before Memorial Day and AFTER Labor Day. It's more commercial than not but it may be worth looking into.

I also know there is a place called the Delaware water Gap. I believe that area offers waterfront camping, in a more rustic environment. You may need a generator for most sites in this area. Hope this helps. Lewes or Dover Delaware may be another option. there are beaches in this area and you can put your rig on the Cape May Lewes on the Ferry for a fee and you can be in Cape May NJ within an hour or so if you wanted to try that.

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

The Ho-Hum campground is right on the beach in Carrabelle. It is an old Florida style campground and very comfortable. It is on the bay. There is also a state park on the barrier island around St. Joe.

9. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rv1 @ May 24 2011, 03:25 PM) [snapback]26198[/snapback]

Thanks for the suggestion but I looked in this park yes it's the closest to the ocean but for $185 a night it would be cheaper to fly & stay in a hotel on the beach

You got that right.The only one I can think of is Long Key State park and is close for repair right now and a long drive for you to the keys If you are talking about right on the water.I can think of a few that are state parks and a short walk to the water.