Looking for Recc for Camping for Niagara Falls area

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by JDdgo65, Jan 24, 2023.

1. JDdgo65

JDdgo65
    Expand Collapse

Hello,
    Since I’m new to this app and forum, I was not sure who to post question to? Reading thru some of the forums, it look like “Mike” you have been very helpful so I’m hoping you can help or maybe others will see this post and jump in. I did not see where I could just post a question to “everyone”?
    Planning a big trip from SW CO (home) to ME late summer. We want to go from Indianapolis (fam visit) up to Cleveland then to Niagara Falls area, then across NY state, MA into Portsmouth, NH then on up to various points in ME.
    I’m hoping for some guidance for stops along the way for Niagara Fall, NY; Watertown, NY, Finger Lakes, Lake George, and Saratoga Springs. We like to stop for a few days then venture out in our tow vehicle to visit the sites vs moving every couple of days. We also prefer to miss the big cities, if possible.
    So my first question… is there a good location to stay at near Niagara Falls (up to maybe a 1-1 1/2 hours away) without having to drive the rig (21’ Phaeton 40’) thru the heart of Buffalo? Possibly stay East of Buffalo?
    Second, any recommendations as to where to stay near Syracuse, NY to possibly visit Watertown, NY area and Finger Lakes?
    Any other suggestions for places to visit or stay on our tentative route is welcomed! Thank you in advance for any help given. Julie

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the forum!

If you take I-90 east from the Ohio line up to I-290 to I-190 to Niagara Falls, you'll miss most of Buffalo. There are several choices for RV parks in the Falls area, with The Branches of Niagara probably being the best and most expensive as I recall. Our personal preference was to go about 20 minutes north of Niagara to the Four Mile Creek State Park on the shore of Lake Ontario. Large electric only sites, including some with a lake view. Your receipt at the park is also good for free parking at Niagara Falls State Park and day use entry to the other state parks in the area.

In the Syracuse area, we like Green Lakes State Park, and they even have a full hookup section. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking here: https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regions/new-york

3. JDdgo65

JDdgo65
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much Dutch! Very helpful.

NYDutch likes this.
  4. John & Annette

John & Annette
    Expand Collapse

Use the trip planner to see what your camping options are in the Niagara Falls NY area. Make sure that you know length, width of your camping unit and how long it is so you can pick a good spot. Always look at the satellite image and read the reviews !

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  5. Clay and Andrea

Clay and Andrea
    Expand Collapse

Look into Letchworth State Park, Castile, NY. May not be quite the location you need, but it's not too far off, and it's BEAUTIFUL.

NYDutch likes this.