Looks like our RV journey is starting!

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by Chrisinhouston, Jul 27, 2023.

  1. Chrisinhouston

    Chrisinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2023
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    3
    Hi from hot and humid Houston, or rather Kingwood up on the northeast side of town.

    Today we made our first visit to a local RV sales lot and then a second one. Still in the shopping stage but my wife wanted to actually walk inside some of the models she has looked at online. She is doing most of the upfront research, reading forum reviews and watching countless YouTube videos. That's a good starting point but those videos and photos are all done with super wide angle lenses so the RV's look a lot bigger inside than they are.

    We are retired, I am 67, she is 73 and up until this year still did tent camping. But on our last camping trip my wife realized that going to the restroom at 3 am is no fun and the getting down for the sleeping bag is a lot easier than the getting back up later on.

    Just the 2 of us and our Labrador Retriever so not going to go too big. Also I am driving an Ford F150 and don't want to overdo it. She likes Jayco and the KZ Connect line so far. Hoping to buy in the new year, she's in charge of finances, I am just the driver and cook!

    Chrisinhouston
     
    BankShot, Fitzjohnfan and Paythebill like this.
  2. weighit

    weighit
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2006
    Messages:
    216
    Likes Received:
    185
    Welcome to the new way of camping. We have found that as nice as some rigs are on first glance, actually sitting for 1/2 hour or longer, can and will change the feeling. One rig we bought looked awesome, but shortly after owning it, it was not going to fit our lifestyle. We kept it only 6 months. So as a suggestion, take your time. Good luck
     
  3. Fitzjohnfan

    Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    Messages:
    772
    Likes Received:
    589
    Hello and welcome to this site and the forums. No matter what unit you chose, i think you will enjoy the RV lifestyle. Its more laid back that traveling in a car or by plane since you can make your meals and get up any time you want.

    While looking at units, the layout is the most important thing to consider. where is the TV located, and will you have to turn your head to watch it? how is the bed set up? we were determined with our latest coach that ours had to be "walk around" so i wouldnt have to climb over my wife in the middle of the night.

    Also consider if it will only be you, or will you have guests? we wanted to make sure our coach slept 6 since we have other people go with us at times.

    Finally, you may want to look at used units for your first RV. New units seem to always have bugs (big and small) to work out, and you dont want some great plans ruined if your rig is in the shop.

    good luck and keep us posted!

    Chris G
     
    #3 Fitzjohnfan, Jul 27, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2023
  4. BankShot

    BankShot
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2013
    Messages:
    1,689
    Likes Received:
    1,814
    Hi and welcome to the forum. In all the years we've been RVing we've parked next to everything from a VW camper type van to a 45' $2,000,000 diesel pusher, and everything in between, and found 98% of the owners to be friendly and hospitable. The other 2% are always there no matter where you go or when you mingle with the public in general. The RV lifestyle isn't for everyone but for those of us that it is, well it's just plain the only way to travel IMHO. Enjoy whatever you do end up purchasing and be sure to cook up some good dishes for the boss along with keeping both eyes open and alert for those crazy "non RVers", whom you will run across from time to time, that will do every stupid thing you can imagine to get in your way, cut you off, or get ticked off because you are in front of them on a winding 45 mph mountain road with no turnouts and they want to drive at 65 mph. Have fun and enjoy your newly found method of RVing...............:D

    All the best, BankShot....(aka Terry)
     
    Onemoretrail and Paythebill like this.

Share This Page