Mancos to Silverton and Ouray

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by garynmaureen, Aug 9, 2022.

1. garynmaureen

garynmaureen
    Expand Collapse

We are new to RVing and rented a 32’ class A to give it a shot for couple weeks before purchasing. we are leaving mancos and heading to silverton and then to ouray. Little did i realize we have to go 550 unless we want to triple the distance and go 145. This girl is a Florida girl and used to flat lands! i heard hairpin turns and no guardrails! and i also heard washouts in last couple weeks!! can/should we do this or should we just double the trip?

2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I had to go to the maps program to see where you were talking about. Only looking at the maps it is a very twisty drive, not impossible to travel, but if you take your time and keep calm it probaby is a beautiful trip..Now going that way for someone who has driven their Motohome for a while would probably not worry, but as new drivers not knowing how confident you guys are in driving, going the long way may be a bit less stressful for you. Hope you have a wonderful trip no matter what way you go.

Paythebill likes this.
  3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

ive driven 550 in a car several times. it's true that this road is steep and windy. your drive up to Silverton will give you an idea if you can handle mountain driving. keep in mind, in the grand scheme of things, a 32' motorhome is not considered very large. my feeling is if you take 550 very slowly, down shift so you almost never use your brakes, you willdo fine.

its really a spectacular drive and you shouldnt miss it. both silverton and ouray are beautiful.

here's a song to get you inspired:

C.W McCall moved to Ouray from iowa after the song Convoy became so popular. he even wrote several songs about the area like Riverside Slide, Camp Bird Mine, Black Bear Road, Wolf Creek Pass, etc.

#3 Fitzjohnfan, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    Paythebill likes this.