Montana or Utah for first national parks trip

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Phonpehis, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Phonpehis

Phonpehis
    Expand Collapse

We are a family of 5; kids are 16, 19, and 22. We are torn between a trip to Utah (Zion, Bryce, etc in and out of Las Vegas) or Montana (Glacier, Yellowstone or both). We only have 8-9 days. Coming from the East Coast. We need variety in our activities; hiking and incredible nature of course but also horseback riding or rafting or some interesting towns, etc.
    I know this is pretty vague but any insight would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Although both areas are really beautiful, and i think your family will enjoy both, i feel the notrhern trip (Yellowstone, Glacier, etc.) will have more for your young adults to enjoy. The guysers, bison, lake tours, fishing, etc. will be more "fun" than the sight seeing in Utah.

Phonpehis and Paythebill like this.
  3. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I think I have to agree with what Fitzjohnfan has stated. Both places your asking about are just amazing, but spending the time you have in Yellowstone all by itself would be worth the long drive. We spent 6 days in a small campground just outside the park and we put just over 1,000 miles on the car seeing as much as we could in there. It is a BIG park and you can end up driving a lot but is so much worth the time. Listening to the Ranger talks made it even more enjoyable. Good luck on what ever you choose to do.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Phonpehis

Phonpehis
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your suggestion!!

5. Phonpehis

Phonpehis
    Expand Collapse

6. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Many of the forts are good for an hour or two visit. Yellowstone is huge, and you could spend a week there hiking the trails, fishing, taking a boat tour, etc.

Phonpehis likes this.
  7. Phonpehis

Phonpehis
    Expand Collapse

Thanks man for the suggestion!!

8. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Been to them all, 8 years full time traveling gave us time to see a lot and agree. Spending a day at the battlefields, listening to the various rangers will give you a perspective of what went on then. But Glacier can take a few days if you want it too. Yellowstone can take weeks, again if you want it to. We enjoyed all if these parks, but I think of these Yellwstone had the most to offer. Just our opinion as you get to decide. No matter where you go, there you are. (Big Grin)