Myrtle Beach, SC

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by staramorcita, Jan 22, 2004.

1. staramorcita

staramorcita
    Expand Collapse

I'm heading down to South Carolina this summer to go to Myrtle Beach. I've narrowed my choices down to three: Ocean Lakes, PirateLand, Barefoot Camping Resort. I have two small children 6 and 7 years old, so I'm looking for a place where they won't be bored if we don't leave the grounds.

Has anyone been to any of these rv parks? Thanks

Roxanne

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Roxanne,

We spent time in North Myrtle Beach. We have been inside "to look" at Barefoot Camping Resort. Next to street is a lot of old run down units who live on site full time, lot of trees. On inside of park are the Ocean sites. Sites are a water pipe, power pole, and sewer pipe in the sand. Sites are close together and park is very old. Did not understand the word "Resort" in this place. We found park across the street. that was very nice and next to Barefoot Landing. Lots to see and do around this place. The other sites in your post we have not been to yet. Hope this will help.

3. ron

ron
    Expand Collapse

my family and i have been to ocean lakes and travel park. our 10 year old son enjoyed both. travel park has a nice "lazy river" while ocean lakes has a nice "water spray park"

4. Guest_staramorcita

Guest_staramorcita
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much for replying. I'm leaning towards the travel park because I'm a little intimidated by the size of Ocean Lakes. But I will cross Barefoot Camping of my list. Thanks.

5. Lois Garcia

Lois Garcia
    Expand Collapse

This is the first time I have looked at this site. Saw your question. My Grandaughter (then17)and I took a roadtrip along the coast two years ago. We started at Ocean City. Stayed only one night until we got to Ocean Lakes. We stayed there several days. Had no tow car with us. You can catch the bus out front if you are adventurous. It is large but we asked for central location as close to the water as possible. To my surprise that was exactly what we had. Front row to the ocean, from the RV had a great view over the fence,
    Short walk to the main pool and activity area. We are explorers so for us to "stay put" is unusual. We may go back this year! Also everyone was very nice and we felt very safe.

6. gloria4241

gloria4241
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at Ocean Lakes last year and it does have a nice water spray pool for kids, but did not like the campsites. If you can get one with a concrete pad that would be better (they don't have very many). I have heard that Pirateland is great for kids with the lazy river. We have friends that go every year there and just love it. I did not think much of Apache Campgrounds as we just took a tour of that one.

7. staramorcita

staramorcita
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. The info about a bus in front of Ocean Lakes is a plus since I don't want to tow my vehicle. Again, thank you so much everyone.

8. jayco304

jayco304
    Expand Collapse

I grew up in SC and have been camping in MB for many years. I rate Ocean Lakes, Lakewood, and Pirateland as the top three and they are all about equal. Ocean Lakes has pull thru sites, Lakewood has more shaded and pond sites, and Pirateland has small covered "shelters" at each site for those sites near the beach. As far pool areas they are all about the same. Ocean Lakes has the best activities. I like Lakewood for the variety of sites (wooded, pond, open, ocean front). Things will be very busy and tight during the summer months so Oceanlakes you do not have anyone behind you because they are pull thru sites and Oceanlakes reserves by site number whereas Lakewood does not. You can not go wrong with any of these three, they are all next door to each other so you can walk from one to the next to the next that is really nice to take your bike to the other campground and ride and talk to people.

9. Guest_Linda

Guest_Linda
    Expand Collapse

Glad to find this site. I am relatively new to rving, and we have only made three trips. We're heading to Florida for Easter but I wanted to respond to those looking for places in Myrtle Beach area. I have not stayed at either of these places, but I own a home at N Myrtle Beach and Ocean Isle Beach. Both of these places have added two beautiful wooded campgrounds within minutes to the beach (by car). Both of these sites have very nice amenities if you just want to get away from all the touristy stuff. I think one in SC is Willow Tree (can find out) and one in Ocean Isle is KOA. If you are a golfer, you would love these locations near affordable golf courses.

10. gloria4241

gloria4241
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the campsites at Ocean Lakes. The few they have with concrete pads are a lot better. Otherwise the campground was nice, but I would not go again unless I got a site with a pad. I have heard that the lazy river at Pirateland is great for kids, but have not stayed at that one yet. I did not like Apache after taking the tour. It has been years since I stayed at Lakewood, but I heard they weren't animal friendly and since we travel with our dog, we stay where he is welcomed.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

We have stayed at Lakewood several times, always with our dog. They do not allow pets on the beach during the daytime/sunbathers hours, but we walked him on the beach every evening. They do ask that you don't leave pets unattended and must keep them restrained, but I think that is the standard for everywhere.

12. Aussie

Aussie
    Expand Collapse

We've been to Ocean Lakes twice and really love it, especially the kids. They have an indoor/outdoor pool, great splash park for little ones and also a play park with activities.

Ocean Lakes is also my choice because the sites are pull-thru and you can choose your site when booking. You can be as close to the beach (though that is busier) or as far away as you please. The farther you are the grassier it gets. I like the sites far better than LakeWood and Pirateland because with the back-ins you're practically eating with your neighbors parked behind you. The pull-thrus are so much more private.

If the size of Ocean Lakes intimidates you, book a more central location. I believe there are some shade sites around the playarea and the pool as well.

Aussie

13. beastdriver

beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

We have stayed at every campground in Myrtle Beach, but have now discovered what we believe to be the best campground in America--Willowtree RV Resort in Longs, SC.,about 15 minutes from Myrtle Beach. Actually, because of traffic, it takes less time to get from Willowtree to most places in the Myrtle Beach area than it does from the other, older campgrounds. Willowtree is a new campground and, frankly, the most well-planned, most appealing, most attractive campground we've ever stayed in. It is, believe it or not, superior to Outdoor Resorts of America. This campground has HUGE sites. You are nowhere near your neighbor. This campground has LONG pull-throughs, drive-in, and back-in sites--some are almost 100 fee long, and all sites are paved and all sites have a patio, firering, and full-hookups. Roads are very wide and the park is extremely big rig friendly. The park is situated on a huge lake and the views are splendid. Although the park offers rental boats and rental golf carts, nice swimming pools, and other attractions, people who insist on staying at "the beach" may not like it because it is not on the beach. On the other hand, if you want a really first class, uncrowded home base from which you can drive to Myrtle Beach, this is the place. I guarantee you will like this place. It is a 15 on a scale of 1-10!.

14. Karen

Karen
    Expand Collapse

My parents had a permanent site only 8 sites from the beach at Pirateland for years. I loved Pirateland. However, now that I am the mom, we camp at Lakewood. Lakewood is a Christian campground and we just love the atmosphere. Ocean Lakes is too stark for me. Even when I was in my teens and 20s, we would walk from Pirateland down to Ocean Lakes and I would think it was dismally unattractive. Pirateland and Lakewook have more trees, and seem less "commercial."

With any of them you'll be fine. I just depends on your personal tastes.

15. garrells

garrells
    Expand Collapse

I hate to admit this....but beastdriver is sooooo right! My husband and I discovered Willow Tree accidently on a post left on rv.net. After reading the post we HAD to check it out! It is EVERYTHING you can want in a campground!! We don't have young children, but the children there are certainly happy! Everyone is friendly and the staff is SUPERB!! We look forward to each visit. So far we have only been twice, but we already have 2 more sets of reservations!

We are internet junkies and since the park has Wi-Fi, we are perfectly happy there. We even have reservations soon for the hot tub sites!! This campground is the way new campgrounds will be built, I hope!

Now!! PLEASE don't advertise Willow Tree. I want to be able to go there often WITHOUT being told the campground is full!! So if you love Willow Tree, please keep it to yourself!

16. GSP805

GSP805
    Expand Collapse

:angry: Avoid Barefoot Camping Resort in North Myrtle Beach. The sites are super small and the management is extremely nasty. Please refer to my review. I related our bad incident there.
    Pirateland has nice sites but the beach is narrow. We are going to Apache on this next trip.

17. tanwellman

tanwellman
    Expand Collapse

I have to put my vote in for Ocean Lakes. I have never even seen the other campgrounds, so I can't vote "against" them. We keep our camper at Ocean Lakes year round. We live in Ohio, and we drive to Ocean Lakes 4-5 per year. My kids (3 and 5) squeal with delight when we get there and cry when we have to leave. It is our home away from home. We RARELY leave the campground....we eat all of our meals there and do all of our "playing" there. There are three playgounds and a kids camp that is very well done in the summer. Perhaps because our kids are so young and there is so much to do, that is why we love it. BUT I will add that the business of it is getting crazy. You can't get a spot in the summer. However, if you are going in April or May, or our personal favorite, September (not busy, and the ocean is as warm as bathwater), the crowds are never a problem.

18. Danzilla

Danzilla
    Expand Collapse

We have stayed at Lakewood and Pirateland over the past years. Just got back from 10 days at Myrtle Beach Travel Park and loved it!!. Best bathhouses anywhere and very clean. They have a pool, lazy river and activties for kids in the morning and during the afternoon also. They also picked up garbage daily. Becah front sites are all pull through with a picnic shelter and sites in the mid section are mostly shaded. All sites are mostly level, and large enough for slide outs and awnings. I liked it better than Pirateland simply beacause of the Teenage Mad Max's on Golf Carts at Pirateland. Myrtle Beach Travel does not rent golf carts nor can you bring your own. I would recommed Myrtle Beach Travel Park First, Then Pirateland, then Lakewood. But all are nice it just depends on your wants and needs.

Good Luck and HAppy Camping!!

19. bping1

bping1
    Expand Collapse

Stay at Myrtle Beach Travel Park and you will not be disappointed.

20. familyof4

familyof4
    Expand Collapse

We've stayed at Briarcliffe RV Resort and the Travel Park.

Briarcliffe is strictly for the retired crowd with big rigs (back in). Children are supposedly welcome, but we've found that they are not. The pool is rarely open and often in need of cleaning. Not much to do here without the pool.

The Travel Park was fun but can get very crowded in the summer. They have pull through sites plus indoor and outdoor pools plus a lazy river. We really enjoyed it.

Keep sending your Myrtle Beach inputs so we'll know where to go next time!