New from Minnesota.

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by Ketelmeister, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Ketelmeister

Ketelmeister
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I have camped off and on for years, starting with a Coleman folddown years ago with three kids. Just bought a new Ram and Grand Design trailer and plan to beat the virus and camp. Bicycles will be on and we will soon be out and about. On here to get some Winter ideas for places in warm weather in the southwest.

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi and welcome aboard Ketelmeister. If you will be traveling into Arizona to sit a spell I can recommend one campground you and the kids should enjoy a lot. Called Gilbert Ray Campground and it's located a few miles southwest of Tucson. Also close to the old Tucson Movie Studios that should definitely be fun for the kids, as well as for you and your co-pilot. GRC is out in the desert and wide open spaces with fantastic views of hills and distant mountain. Sunrises and sunsets are out of this world and there are lots of trails to walk and ride bikes on, etc. Close by shopping in a small rural town with a couple of very good places to eat and a great donut shop. You check this park on the home page by simply typing in the name "Gilbert Ray Campground" in the upper right hand corner. That will take you to the reviews and their website. There is no mention of it being closed but a phone call to them will let you know. Last time we were there it was only $20 a night and they have 30 amp hookups at each site and water spigots you can fill your tank with using a hose. No sewer hookup but there is easy to use dump station in the campground. Many other places to visit and see also but thought I'd tell you about this one due to how unique and neat it is. Lots of close by places to see also. Travel safe, stay healthy, and by all means make sure you write reviews, of the places you stay at, on the home page when you finish your trip..............

Regards, BankShot..............(aka Terry)

#2 BankShot, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Paythebill likes this.
  3. Ketelmeister

Ketelmeister
    Expand Collapse

Hey, thanks. We visited Tuscon several years ago not in a rv and really enjoyed it. I'll be reading more about it!

4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Welcome aboard Ketelmeioster. I can second the recommendation for Gilbert Ray. The only issues I have about the park is getting in. It is a very popular park.If you don't have a reservation, you need to get to the park early in the AM (the last time we were there, the cue started before 7:00AM. Next is the 7 day limit. I get it, they want everyone to have an opportunity. Lastly, the lack of showers. Water for your tank is available and so is the dump station but...... And as BankShot stated. Lots to do in the area. It does get warm there in the winter so we do our hiking/biking/site seeing early and use the PM for siestas and beer thirty/wine o'clock. The folks that use this campground always seem to be the friendliest too. Enjoy your travels.
    Stay safe and stay warm!

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  5. Ketelmeister

Ketelmeister
    Expand Collapse