Nicest Parks - Require Self-Contained?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Mouseketab, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Mouseketab

Mouseketab
    Expand Collapse

I'm seeming to run into a fair number of RV Parks/Resorts that are requiring self-contained. I can see that if they don't have bath houses or other amenities. But many of the ones I see require being self-contained even though they have full hookups, nice bath houses, nice laundry facilities, etc.

We don't have any tanks in our small trailer, or bath facilities, BUT we can direct drain our sink to the sewer, and will use their bath facilities for any other waste.

I know perhaps they don't want folks having portable tanks outside their trailer, or things set up outside the trailer, but they can make specific rules for that without excluding units without tanks.

We actually like the nicer parks RV resorts because they tend to have more concrete, are better maintained, and have very clean facilities.

So why would they not want a small camper plugging into their electric for a couple of nights and using their facilities?

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

During the current Covid-19 crisis, many parks are restricting access to the public restrooms and other facilities to protect both their guests and employees. Requiring self contained RV's is one way of doing that. In some areas it's a state or local requirement for the park to be open at all. Hopefully times will be changing for the better before too much longer...

mdcamping likes this.
  3. Mouseketab

Mouseketab
    Expand Collapse

True, but honestly, I'm not talking about Covid restrictions. I understand that. Some of the parks I'm running across have these as their all the time rules.

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Their park, their rules. Vote with your wallet and go elsewhere...

Grizzly Valley Bear likes this.
  5. Mouseketab

Mouseketab
    Expand Collapse

.Obviously, I do, but just frustrating. For example in one part of my plans next March, there are 4 parks within a 20 mile radius, of the four, the nicest one has a self-contained rule, the next nicer one, has their bath houses closed due to covid, so my choice are two parks, that will probably be fine, but would not be my first choice.

6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

There are parks that won't let my motorhome in because it's over 10 years old. There are parks that won't let me in because my motorhome is a couple of feet longer than they list as their site size, even though I know it would fit. It's their call, just as it's mine not to recommend them to others. If my RV was not fully self contained I would just seek out parks that can accommodate me, just as I would if I was tent camping. There are parks that want our business, we just need to search them out.

BankShot likes this.
  7. Mouseketab

Mouseketab
    Expand Collapse

I don't disagree with you. I was hoping someone would know a "technical" reason why.

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We will generally research Rv parks that have "clean" bathrooms/showers as our shower in our camper is very small as we use it for storage. This year have been different with the covid, lots of parks are choosing to close their bathrooms & showers. It's been a PITA moving stuff out of our tub but we have managed. We are traveling with a new dog this year so now I am back to researching pet policies. As NYDutch mentioned everyone as differant needs, just do research :cool:

Mike

Robert911, NYDutch and BankShot like this.
  9. CompassRose

CompassRose
    Expand Collapse

The "technical" reason? Based on my experience, as a long term, working, recreational vehicle dweller, many "overnighters" tend to trash the bathhouse. It's easier to work out who it is when it's a long term resident. Sorry. There it is. I've also stayed at an RV park that finally got tired of their bathhouse being trashed, spend money to repair it, only to be trashed again. So they never repaired it after the last one trashed it. Their rationale was that all the long term renters were in self contained RVs on full hookups. So no bathhouse was really needed. No one was needed to clean the bathhouse. And no more sinks being ripped off the wall. And don't blame it on "kids". No "kids" were in the park, only adults and certainly ones who were old enough to know better.

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  10. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

And that makes sense. We were Camp Host for a while. A position that I thought we would totally enjoy (and we did for the most part) but we were shocked by the inconsideration of so many fellow campers. The state in which some folks left the bathrooms in will not be described by us in print.

Darrell