OPINION .... not 3 3 3 ... but travel ... stay ... repeat

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Medic73, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Medic73

Medic73
    Expand Collapse

Hi LONG TRIP .... your experience requested

We have been traveling with a tiny Boler TT --then-- Lightweight TT --then -- Cougar TT --then -- Lance TT --then -- 39 foot Fifth and now 29 foot Jayco Fifth for35+ years.

Initially JUST DRIVE to get there at 10 +hrs days 4-5 days) to just get there (east cost of Canada 2400 miles - one way.

..... stay for 10 days then dash back again as holidays allowed - end result exhausted).

Now retired (ya) .. last year 2021 only way to get her to go (to make DW happy) drive 4 hours MAX - stop for1 to 2days then repeat. Still not happy (DW) "I hate driving". Now planning on keeping DW for trip that would break things ip a little more..

Drive 4-6 hours MAX ......stay 4 days or so to explore local area, get rested. Repeat.

What works best for YOU, 60 days total is not out of the question.

Thanks

mdcamping likes this.
  2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

back in the day, when we did car trips, we drove a whole bunch each day to get to our destination as quickly as possible.
    Once we got our first motorhome in "97, we realized that RV travel is more leasurly. we try to limit our miles each day to about 350 or less. this works out to about 2-3 hours in the morning, stop for lunch, and another 2-3 hours in the afternoon. this gives us plenty of time to get set up at the new campsite in the daytime, make dinner, and maybe take in a stroll around the RV park before bed.

i know this would be a big change, but have you considered moving to a class A motorhome? with this type of unit, your DW could go back to the couch or bed to take a nap, grab a snack out of the 'fridge, etc. this might be more enjoyable than beiing in the truck for hours.

just a thought.

--chris g.

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

It varies with the time of year and the intended destination, but we typically drive 2-3 hours at most and then stop for a couple of days to reach a longer stays such as two weeks in various state parks. The first of the year though, when we leave upstate NY after spending the holidays with family, we do a 3 overnight stops after 3-4 hour drives to get to warmer weather quicker, and then do a 2-3 day layover in southern VA before a 3 hour trek to another overnight stop. From there, its another 3 hour jaunt to the first of the state and national parks we'll be staying at in GA and FL through the winter, most for two weeks each with anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours between parks.

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I like the 4 to 6 hrs only travel.

East coast USA to get to anyplace decent, especially living in the crosshairs between NYC and Boston usually adds more time.

Mike

NYDutch and Paythebill like this.
  5. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

My preference is 3 hours of driving or less BUT I've have occasionally driven 500 miles on day 1 to get to my target area. I make it a point not to have long drives at the end of my trip however so that that last day is enjoyable and I arrive home with time and energy to unpack, cleanup, etc.

A grueling last day seems to make the entire trip a wash, cancelling the relaxation and fun (at least in my head) that was had along the way.

mdcamping, NYDutch and Paythebill like this.
  6. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

We live by the rule of 2. Rarely, if ever drive over 200 miles a day. Never drive more than 2 days in a row and always arrive at the campsite by 2:00, as that is cocktail hour.
    And generally the shortest leg of the journey is the last to returning home.

kim frison, Gale_945 and mdcamping like this.
  7. Hotrod27

Hotrod27
    Expand Collapse

We live in Canada , half way up Alberta , and head south for warm weather in the winter , We have left at many different times of the year , the last one was in October , and quite cool out . It takes 8-9 hours to get to the USA border , we stayed at walmart after 200 miles , shopped , and a little visiting , day 2 7-8 hours later crossed usa border , a half hour hold up there , and then 2-3 hours we got to Great falls truckstop , day 3 , we drive thru montana , idaho , and stopped at Ogden , Ut at CABELAS , day 4 , arrive at Searchlite , Ca , day 5 we make it to Parker , Az , and stay a week ,take our time and explore , this is just the trip to get the motorhome south before major snow sets in , and a return home in the same timeframe after storing coach in Yuma until late december to retrieve it and head back to Parker , Az , where we have been now until Jan 26 , heading to Apache Junction, Az for 10 days , then back to Parker , Az , then 7 days in Benson , Az and roam around Tucson and Tombstone areas , then Back To Parker, az until mid march , . We are limited to the amount of days the usa allows us to be here without paying income tax in both countries , i think i pay too much to one country , let alone two

yes , we are snow birds , and the 2300 mile trip , one way , would take 6 weeks to get here if we did 200 miles a day and days between , trip length makes a difference for us , we enjoy what we find when staying over , last trip went to gulf of mexico and back to canada