Recommendation for a GPS tracker for Motor Home

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ForeverLSU, Jun 25, 2020.

1. ForeverLSU

ForeverLSU
    Expand Collapse

The title pretty much says it all, I'm looking for something I can use to monitor via smart phone any unauthorized movements of our motor home. We are unable to keep it at our house due to HOA, and have it parked elsewhere. Any recommendations? I know there are a lot of choices, and it seems most have a monthly or annual fee.

2. Kirk49

Kirk49
    Expand Collapse

I'm surprised there aren't more replies to you inquiry with the rise in RV thefts.
    We installed a Trak-4 GPS tracker that connects to the 12 volt supply that keeps a lithium battery charged. Even if the RV battery dies, is disconnected or removed the device battery will last over a year. As long as GPS satellites are within view is is extremely accurate. If GPS cannot connect it reports the location using cell tower triangulation which while not as accurate as GPS will be in the neighborhood.
    The device costs around $50 and requires a subscription. Cost varies depending on the frequency of reporting you desire.
    We went with once daily when stationary and every 10 minutes if moving.
    We also installed a small Ring camera to monitor indoor temperature & humidity plus refrigerator and freezer temperatures. You would need 120 volt power for the camera power supply, a compatible battery pack or small solar panel.
    Fortunately we are able to park our RV at home plugged into a 30 amp receptacle. We're able to run the climate control and use the refrigerator & freezer for extra food storage.

robertmarviny likes this.
  3. robertmarviny

robertmarviny
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Pal.