Route from Texas to Minnesota other than IH 35

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by MelindaK, Jan 9, 2018.

1. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

Hello,
    I am looking for an alternative route from Central Texas to Grand Marais, Minnesota other than taking IH 35. I have thought about taking Hwy 281 up then cut across. Has anyone done this route? In addition, I have looked at taking Hwy 281 up to Oklahoma then cut over and take 69 and 65. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Looking at making the trip the first part of August.

2. JOEY14

JOEY14
    Expand Collapse

Here is the route we took, to Colgate WI. I am guessing that you know where Marble Falls is so that is the starting point. Start from 281 in Marble Falls to Wichita Falls, From Wichita Falls use I-44 (toll road, Tx Tag will work) all the way to St Louis, take the 255 loop around St Louis, do not go through St Louis if you can help it, been there, done that, did not get the t-shirt. Then I-55 to Bloomington where you catch I-39. In Rockford you change to I-90, which will merge with I-94 in Madison. In Eau Claire you will change to Hwy 53 and that will take you to Duluth. From there it is Hwy 61 all the way to Grand Marais. Once you are north of Beloit I am just using Google Maps for the rest of the trip. Hope this helps. It is a bit out of the way, but it is a change from I-35. Again there are toll roads on this route.