1. Bud and Donna

Bud and Donna
    Expand Collapse

Can anyone give us advise for a cover for our 31 foot class A? It is stored in hot sun with LCD winters but no snow. We are older and getting it up to the roof on on will be a challenge for us but want to protect our MH and not have to purchase one every year.... This is new for us - have had other RVs but have never covered & have had boat covers that failed in sun pretty early. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

[Hello Bud and Donna,

I would recommend simply place a tarp with tie downs over your rig and letting the coach "breath". What many people I know have down when storing their rig is to build an inexpensive shelter at the storage area and just drive in under it and out when your ready to go.

I think it becomes counter productive to cover the entire coach in one of those heavy and "expensive zip up blankets". It prevents air flow causing interior mustiness and not allowing any light in giving mold opportunity to grow.

Good luck, BTW where do you enjoy your LCD winters with no snow?

3. Bud and Donna

Bud and Donna
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(fpullanosr @ Aug 14 2012, 05:29 AM) [snapback]30575[/snapback]

[Hello Bud and Donna,

I would recommend simply place a tarp with tie downs over your rig and letting the coach "breath". What many people I know have down when storing their rig is to build an inexpensive shelter at the storage area and just drive in under it and out when your ready to go.

I think it becomes counter productive to cover the entire coach in one of those heavy and "expensive zip up blankets". It prevents air flow causing interior mustiness and not allowing any light in giving mold opportunity to grow.

Good luck, BTW where do you enjoy your LCD winters with no snow?

We are in California in the Gld Country below the snow line. Thank you - the coach is in a RV storage yard, on black top - so no ability to plant trees for shades or build a shelter....

4. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

The folk wisdom is that the friction from RV covers can easily damage the finish on RVs, but, never having used one, I can't speak from personal experience.

I can tell you that before we retired, our little travel trailer sat outside in the weather all year for seven years in Anchorage. There was never any damage from that. The dealers in town sure don't cover their RVs in the winter. They just let the snow pile up.

In the ten years that we have been fulltiming, we obviously haven't covered our rigs.

5. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

I'm with Dave. When our trailer was new we covered it. Luckily the scratches came out. I can only imagine what a rough tarp and rope blowing around would do.
    I leave mine uncovered. It's a job to clean in the spring, we're under trees. You are in a storage area. It shouldn't be bad.
    There are a lot of people, at the campground, that cover their's in the winter. I choose not to.

6. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I give up. What is an LCD winter?

7. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

Gee, I thought I was the only one wondering what are "LCD" winters!

8. Bud and Donna

Bud and Donna
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(vincee @ Aug 14 2012, 01:40 PM) [snapback]30588[/snapback]

Gee, I thought I was the only one wondering what are "LCD" winters!

Don't you just love the auto correct technology today.... That was suppose to be cold winters... Close right?

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Before putting it on the first and last time, get the name of a good divorce attorney.

Mimi96 likes this.
  10. Bud and Donna

Bud and Donna
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Aug 15 2012, 10:53 AM) [snapback]30602[/snapback]

Before putting it on the first and last time, get the name of a good divorce attorney.

Love it!! Perhaps a tree?

11. grim509

grim509
    Expand Collapse

Do not use a tarp. A tarp WILL scratch it! A good quality cover will allow it to breathe, whereas a good tarp will not. Mold growing will not be an issue if you put a few containers of Damp-rid inside there when winterizing. A high-quality cover will be expensive, but worth protecting your investment.

12. Bud and Donna

Bud and Donna
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(grim509 @ Aug 16 2012, 01:05 PM) [snapback]30629[/snapback]

Do not use a tarp. A tarp WILL scratch it! A good quality cover will allow it to breathe, whereas a good tarp will not. Mold growing will not be an issue if you put a few containers of Damp-rid inside there when winterizing. A high-quality cover will be expensive, but worth protecting your investment.

Thank you - that is what we had been advised, and I am a fan of Damp-rid! There are just so many covers out there & each one claims to be quality, but you see them fall apart prematurely & all a person can do is shell out another $400+...... I was hoping someone could steer us to a cover that was made for our conditions & would last.

13. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi Bud and Donna -

We also travel in a 31 foot Class A and a year or so back looked at buying a full cover for it. After talking it over with a guy that had RV'd for years, we were told that these fancy body molded covers are a royal PITA to put on and take off and as someone prior stated, could lead to a divorce attorney being called. He advised us to build a simple canopy cover that we could park it under to keep the sun and leaves off, etc. So that's what we are in process of doing. Just haven't found the right company to get one from as yet but we will. I've also received the same advice from several other folks in RV parks so I'm thinking it must be some good advice to listen and adhere to. If we find a company that has a decent carport type cover at a decent price, I'll let you know. We had one guy come out and when he gave us his quote I told him all I wanted was a simple cover and not a place I could live in when the significant other ran me out and wouldn's let me back in...........:rolleyes:

We live in the "Gold Country" as well. North of Auburn up I-80 and a few miles off the highway. The weather this past week has be gorgeous and the smoke we did have from all those fires burning from all directions is finally gone and the sky is a beautiful blue again................

All the best from a fellow "Goldy", BankShot.................(aka Terry)

#13 BankShot, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  14. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I have been using my same generic Adco cover for about 10 years now, it's not a form fitted but fits snug especially when the cover tie down ropes are secured. Probably apple & oranges vs some of the other cover styles and rv's lengths that they are used on but my cover has worked well keeping the TT roof clean and in good shape over the winter months. If/when we change to a different Rv, I'll probably re-evaluate the need for it.

Speaking about Adco Covers... sadly I'll be pulling my cover out of my garage this weekend. Time to winterize and cover the trailer. :(

Mike

15. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

16. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Back when we stopped traveling long enough to install our Adco cover for the winter, I developed a pretty simple one-man process that only took me at most 30 minutes, and only minimal swearing.

After taking the cover out of it's storage bag, I unrolled it along the driver's side of the coach with the front at the front, etc. Then I attached a light rope to the first tie-down strap buckle at the front, and tossed the other end up on the roof. From the roof, I next pulled the strap and the front part of the cover up to the roof and over the front and passenger side, working my way back as I pulled more of the cover up and over until I reached the ladder and dropped the back down as I descended. From the ground, I pulled on the sides as needed to square everything up, and then buckled the tie-down straps and snugged them up before threading the front and rear snug down ropes in place and snugging them down. There was no heavy lifting involved, nor any need to haul the entire top up on the roof first. And my wife got to peacefully sit in the house reading... :)

mdcamping and BankShot like this.
  17. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

YOU DA MAN DUTCH!!!............. :D

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

NYDutch likes this.
  18. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

My knees are starting to show their age, (arthritis) good pointer for the future!

Mike

19. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I'm 74, and know just how you feel, Mike! I was probably 67 or 8 when I stopped covering the RV though, when we began using/living in it year round.

20. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mike and Dutch - Quit complaining, you're both a couple of kids. When you get to my age is when you can start the complaining. Won't do you any good but you can start anyway and see how far it gets you............. :D

NYDutch likes this.