"RV Parks and Pets???"

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by BankShot, Jul 31, 2015.

1. alm

alm
    Expand Collapse

It is the owners, not the pets. As a 50K+ mile RVer, we have had our share of problems with pets at the parks, ranging from owners not picking up their messes to incessant barking when the owner is gone - but quite often there is even barking with the owner right in the RV! Also, dogs barking at other dogs while out for a walk, often early in the morning. All are very annoying to those of us tryiing to enjoy a peaceful RV park environment. Please, owners, if you can't train your dogs or you plan on being gone from your rig for periods of time, just leave them home where they can be more comfortable. You'll enjoy the trip more yourselves!
    And yes, we would frequent pet-free parks before staying at a pets allowed park anytime.

logger1939 likes this.
  2. Jacob D

Jacob D
    Expand Collapse

We have a large dog who travels with us where ever we go. When in our campsite with us he is tethered to the trailer so he can't wander off. He loves to lounge under the trailer. If we have near neighbors we place a bark collar on him which stops the barking. During hot weather, when we run errands, we leave him in the air conditioned trailer as it is unsafe to leave him in a vehicle while we shop. He does not bark when in the trailer unless someone knocks on the door or tries to get in. We won't go to an RV park that doesn't have provisions for pets. .I have seen owners ignore the "land mines" their dog leaves but that is very rare. Most pet owners are careful not to cause discomfort to others.

3. Camper Ally

Camper Ally
    Expand Collapse

I won't stay at a park that does not allow dogs. Period. I started RVing, so that our dogs could travel with us. I've met tons of people that feel the same way. I seldom meet an RVer without a dog. Not allowing dogs does not seem like a good business model unless your park is so special that people would be willing to leave their pets at home.

4. hippichik

hippichik
    Expand Collapse

We have a 50# mutt that travels with us. She's always leashed or on her runner with me watching. I'm also a stickler for cleaning up behind her. She isn't a barker unless she gets really excited over people or to warn us that someone is close to the camper. I do have to warn folks that she will jump up on you if you get close enough because she loves everyone. If she's left alone while we run errands, we leave the TV on to drown out noise that might make her bark. It IS annoying to be close to folks who allow their dogs to bark constantly, leave pets outside, allow them to roam, & refuse to clean up behind them. If you can't be a responsible pet owner, you shouldn't have a pet.
    I love animals, dogs in particular, but I know that not everyone feels the same way. I've run up on a few rv parks that did not allow pets, so I just moved on to a different one in my search. I think having a pet-free area sounds like a great idea for those folks who aren't tolerant of animals. I wouldn't use it, even without my 4-legged baby. I love the animals too much to stay away from them :)
    image.jpeg

BankShot and gemsinger like this.
  5. cwier

cwier
    Expand Collapse

This is to people taking offense to us that are saying we would love to stay at a park that doesn't allow dogs. Don't take it as a universal dog haters. It is simple - we don't want to listen to dogs barking and yipping and fighting. We like to walk in the RV parks and to constantly have everyone's dog bark at us is very annoying. And then when two dog owners are walking and their dogs start fighting and yapping at each other (it's always the little sheet ones). And worse, as others have said, are when people leave their dogs in the RV and leave and the dog is yapping the entire time they are gone. It is extremely rude to the rest of us - much more rude than not allowing a dog in a park.

6. Judy Birchland

Judy Birchland
    Expand Collapse

I am a pet owner, two larger dogs, and I have been on both sides of the issue. I have had several dog owners who would bring her dog to our spot let it poop and rush off fast. One woman was so bad that after repeatedly telling her to stop doing it (and complaining to management), I finally deposited her dog's poop on the windshield of her car and smeared it all over really well. (Management just laughed at her when she complained about that!) She finally did take her dogs elsewhere to poop. I have also been fed up to the teeth myself with yippy little totally spoiled lap dogs who are completely untrained, piddle on everything, poop everywhere, are always off leash, and think they have the right attack my dogs, all while the owners smile indulgently at their doggie babies. I have also camped next to one fellow who was the most miserable dog hating SOB ever put on the earth. He filed formal complaints with the owner everytime our dogs even looked at him. They are trained to give on soft "woof" to go in and out and he complained about that. We cleaned up the poop in our own area twice a day but that wasn't good enough. He wanted us to make the dogs hold it until we could get them outside the dog park and if the poop even touched the ground he filed a formal complaint against the dog owners with the manager. There is always a subset of humanity that is crazy, lazy and selfish. I seek out places where dogs are allowed and sites are far enough apart that I can't hear the neighbour's yappy surrogate baby dog if it is shut in a trailer nearby. I rarely use private or resort style campgrounds because for them a dog park is usually a 3X6 chain link pen and no enforcement of rules. When I find a place with a really good dog park that welcomes good dogs with responsible owners but enforces the rules about cleaning up, no barking ect with the bad ones, I always go back.

BankShot and Go Go Girl like this.
  7. Dano849

Dano849
    Expand Collapse

I camp with my pets. Hotel/motels that take pets are poor quality or charge $100 or more per pet. Camping is preferred. I to hate barking dogs, slap the owner not the dog. Owners, pick up after your pets don't be rude. Leave your pets home, idiotic statement, if you are traveling how is one going to tend to their fury friends? You would pay extra for pet free camping? You stay in the motel.

8. exsailor81

exsailor81
    Expand Collapse

I am a full timer and my mastiff and I love it. Having said that, i dontblame anyone for lookinf at "Pet free" CGs. I have run into enough inconsiderate pet owners that I totally understand. I would say that park management is mostly to blame. Im in a great park in MS right now and if someone doesnt clean up after their dog they might get a warning but then they are politely asked to move on. Maybe Im too much an old sailor but its really to be courteous and follow the rules. JM2C.

Go Go Girl likes this.
  9. grandmadonald

grandmadonald
    Expand Collapse

My husband and I have looked high and low for a no dog park and have only found two so far. I had a dog all my life but never left it unattended when we was camping. Nothing is worse than the owners leaving a dog in the camper all day while they are out and about. They say my dog don't bark but they are not there to listen to it. Nothing ruins our stay more than listening to someone else's dog barking. We have moved out of quite a few parks because they never enforce the rule about keeping your dog quiet.

Go Go Girl likes this.
  10. Sunchaser v

Sunchaser v
    Expand Collapse

I now travel with a cat that does not go outside, but have traveled with dogs in the past. I have been at parks that do not allow dogs, but would accept the kitty. Once traveling with a friend that had a dog, i had to park in the pet area. The park I am presently at in Indiana has a dog park across the street from the RV Park campesr can use for a daily fee.

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla
    Expand Collapse

This is my first post. After years of gentle persuasion I finally talked my better half into trying an RV. The two main features that convinced her were 1 - never having to unpack and repack every stop and 2 - the fact that we can take our Buddy with us. There are two sailing clubs on our favorite lake and we know and like folks in both clubs but we "joined" the one that permits dogs.

That said I completely understand that some people just aren't dog people and it's true that some pet owners are thoughtless regarding control of their pets barking and bathroom habits. Incessant barking is one of my pet peeves (pun accidental). I have a problem with any pet owner who permits excessive noise (barking or cater-wailing) or who doesn't provide indoor litter boxes or pickup after they've done their business outdoors. It sounds like most of the folks posting on this thread are of like mind - choice in RV parks is a nice thing and pet owners need to be considerate of their fellow campers. Awesome website - see you on the road!

BankShot, RickB and Go Go Girl like this.
  12. MarvMarvs

MarvMarvs
    Expand Collapse

We travel with our two Standard Schnauzers, and they are well behaved. We started them travelling as puppies, keep the same routines as we do at home so they feel happy and comfortable in the RV. We always leave the fan or AC running when we leave them so it drowns out the noise from outside. I ALWAYS pick up poop immediatly, we carry lots of extra rolls of poop bags in the RV.
    We are constantly though, running in to others who really abuse the rules. In my opinion, they're people who never take their dog anywhere, don't walk them, don't socialize them. I've had many small dogs off leash run up to our leashed dogs. I've passed by many piles of poop, especially in dog runs; as if you don't have to clean up in the dog run? Really? Again, as others have said, it's the fault of the owners for not properly training and socializing their dogs, and expecting the rules not to apply to them. It's truly everywhere, not just RV parks. The few spoil it for the many.

gemsinger, Go Go Girl and hippichik like this.
  13. george64

george64
    Expand Collapse

I would rather have dogs than kids. Riding their bikes everywhere without regard for the people. And how about the drunks that party until 2 or 3 in the morning.

ozzyandheather likes this.
  14. TommyH

TommyH
    Expand Collapse

I agree, I have watch many pet owners just let their pet do their business and then walk off. Those are the people that should be banned

Go Go Girl likes this.
  15. Go Go Girl

Go Go Girl
    Expand Collapse

16. Ken Lane

Ken Lane
    Expand Collapse

WE have experienced many forms of irresponsible fellow campers and dog campers are the very worst of the sick lot! We wish all dogs, loud uncontrolled children, drunks, late comers who set up with their diesel rig running for hours at midnight, and other low lifes be banned from all campgrounds! Worst experience was at a camp ground on the White River in Cotter Arkansas---after setting up neighbor in a trash trailer next to us comes out with three killer Pit Bulls-we left immediately. Owner was a totla asswip[e about it!---odd thing was the campground had great reviews--but not from us!

Camping should not involve hearing your fellow campers-----or dodging dog poop!

Go Go Girl likes this.
  17. ozzyandheather

ozzyandheather
    Expand Collapse

The MarDon resort in Othello, WA actually discriminates against Pit bulls, Rottweilers and Staffordshire terriers! It should be all or nothing, discrimination is NEVER ok!

18. Go Go Girl

Go Go Girl
    Expand Collapse

I, too, have been the victim of inconsiderate pet owners on several occasions. I find that parks consistently do not enforce their rules regarding barking dogs, pet feces and dogs running around without leashes. Irresponsible pet owners and park owners unwilling to enforce their rules are a real deterrent to me spending time in a private or public park. I've spent a week in an RV resort in San Diego next to a coach whose owner left their two dogs alone from 5 pm until 11 pm every night while they were out partying and the dogs were actually hoarse from hours of non-stop barking. When reported to the management I was told "no one's home so we can't do anything about it". I've stepped out of my coach into a pile of dog waste and have had to stay in my coach for fear of being attacked by a dog running around loose in a campground. I would be more than happy to stay at a park that enforced it's pet rules.

19. Ken Lane

Ken Lane
    Expand Collapse

Ah but banning killer type animals sounds very smart--the liability aspect alone should keep killer type animals out of public camp grounds. Sort of a Daaaaaa situation.

20. ozzyandheather

ozzyandheather
    Expand Collapse

Nevermind, I see your another "Guns kill people type".